Ideas for project please.

(12 Posts)
ThisWayForCrazy Fri 26-Jul-13 13:34:28

My stepson has moved in with us. He previously lived in Scotland and we live in England, this means by the time he goes to school here he will have had almost 12 weeks off.

He is very Internet/device orientated and was allowed to do this constantly in his previous home.

I would like to sort some projects for him to do over the next 6 weeks to keep him occupied, learning and off the Internet so much. But I don't have any ideas, have you any suggestions?

Many thanks.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 26-Jul-13 13:41:14

How old? I do wonder if this might not be the best time, sounds like a big move? Couldn't you just see where his interests take him and facilitate those?

TheFallenNinja Fri 26-Jul-13 14:16:05

Does he have any suggestions himself?

TheFallenNinja Fri 26-Jul-13 14:16:16

Does he have any suggestions himself?

ProudNeathGirl Fri 26-Jul-13 14:20:15

How old is he?

ThisWayForCrazy Fri 26-Jul-13 15:34:09

Sorry, he is 11, going in to year 7. I've asked him for suggestions, but they're all Internet based.

ommmward Fri 26-Jul-13 17:02:56

Just go and play in the park lots! Go to museums, zoos, geocaching, whatever. Life is too short for having "learning" forced upon one IMO smile

(and a huge amount of valuable learning can take place on a computer hooked up to the internet. Just sayin')

He could build a robot, perhaps? You can get instructions from... umm... the Internet blush but then turn it off grin

ThisWayForCrazy Fri 26-Jul-13 18:16:36

Thanks for your input, negative too, it's really helpful hmm. And as for forcing learning on him, he's happy to do it! smile

maggi Fri 26-Jul-13 19:50:06

Try electronics. Cable, diodes, switches and a soldering iron are fairly cheap.

Saracen Fri 26-Jul-13 21:27:08

How about DIY? What do you need done around the house which could be within his capabilities?

Let him tackle something quite challenging and take a risk. Maybe he'll make a mess of it and need some help to fix it. Maybe he will do a great job all on his own. Every time he lays eyes on the shelves he put up or the bathroom tiles he laid, he will remember how competent he is and how much you trust him and need his help.

MojitoMagnet Fri 26-Jul-13 21:37:10

Get him making stop-frame animation shorts - all you need is a digital camera, a mini-tripod (costing less than £5) and some lego or other toys. An 11-year-old of my acquaintance spent a LONG time creating a lego stop-motion film of a shakespeare play - but it doesn't have to be that highbrow I only mention it to demonstrate this is well within the capabilities of an 11-yo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now