Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Alternatives to gloss paint for interior woodwork?

(7 Posts)
JellySnake Sun 04-Aug-13 16:17:08

We tried a number of satin/matt type paints until we came up with the right finish, not too matt and not too shiny. In the end we went for Dulux Satin Wood Trade available from a builders merchants or large B&Q. It painted straight over the top of gloss with a light sanding before. One coat and not too many fumes. DH did 11 doors and all the skirtings on a 4 bed house (excluding kitchen and bathroom) from a 2.5 litre tin.

QueenMaeve Tue 23-Jul-13 22:34:43

Eggshell. I would never use gloss on internal woodwork. Eggshell gives a much richer looking finish and doesn't chip. I usually use crown

NumTumDeDum Tue 23-Jul-13 21:14:56

Ah ok. I will have a look thanks.

Flicktheswitch Tue 23-Jul-13 20:45:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

There are loads of eggshell and satin finish paints for woodwork if you don't want a gloss finish. If you look somewhere like the B&Q website you'll find lots of choices.

DameFanny Tue 23-Jul-13 20:18:12

You can just use matt emulsion if you want. The only thing is it can be harder to strip - but I imagine chalk paint would be too.

NumTumDeDum Tue 23-Jul-13 20:15:43

I'd like a matt finish of some kind. Someone suggested Annie Sloan chalk paint but I don't live near anywhere that stocks it. Unless you can buy it mail order anywhere?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now