Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Pinch pleat curtains - can the pinch pleats be removed ?

(11 Posts)
whoknowsyou Wed 03-Jul-13 19:38:03

marriedinwhite

lovely idea re the muslin but the draughts through/around old style large windows have to be felt to be believed. We need oversized curtains interlined with fleece/blanket to block the chilly winds experienced across the fields round our house.

Pudden Wed 03-Jul-13 15:43:05

I didn't cut the top off; just unpicked and pressed

Dumpylump Wed 03-Jul-13 14:30:16

Maybe you could eyelet them if you unpicked the pinch pleat? Eyelet curtains are usually not that full because they sort of fold when they're opened, rather than being bunched, iykwim?

whoknowsyou Wed 03-Jul-13 14:29:29

Oops, just thought, do you mean that you cut off the top bit with pinch pleats or that you unpicked the pinch pleats and pressed out the marks left behind ?

whoknowsyou Wed 03-Jul-13 14:27:47

Thanks Pudden, I may get the tape measure out and hot foot it back to the charity shop to see what I'd be left with length wise if I cut of the pinch pleat heading. Hope the curtains are still there.

Pudden Wed 03-Jul-13 11:34:20

I did it with some curtains I bought from Ebay; they were very wide but pinch pleated to a fraction of this. They look brilliant and not skimped or 'mean' in the slightest and you cannot tell they were anything other than what they are now

whoknowsyou Sun 23-Jun-13 11:23:57

Can the pinch pleated top bit of the curtain be cut off, particularly if the curtains are longer that needed by at least the depth of the pinch pleat heading ?

whoknowsyou Sun 16-Jun-13 08:36:39

That's what I was afraid of but I was hoping that the marks/lines in the unpicked header would all be well above head height hence barely noticeable.

Thanks for the advice.

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 15-Jun-13 19:59:15

No. You will never get rid of the marks/fold lines and overall even if you unpick if the windows are wider than the finished curtains they willnot be fullenough to hand properly and will look mean.

If you are on a really tight budget it would be better to run up several lengths of sheer muslin with a shop bought header tape and just dress the windows with them.

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 15-Jun-13 19:57:54

No. You will never get rid of the marks/fold lines and overall even if you unpick if the windows are wider than the finished curtains they willnot be fullenough to hand properly and will look mean.

If you are on a really tight budget it would be better to run up several lengths of sheer muslin with a shop bought header tape and just dress the windows with them.

whoknowsyou Sat 15-Jun-13 18:59:27

We have rather large windows (very long) unfortunately without the budget to match.

Have seen some nice curtains in a charity shop with the right length and in lovely condition but... the headers are pinch pleated so they not quite wide enough. Can pinch pleats be unpicked/removed to give more width at the top of the curtain ?

Am a sewing numpty and need advice here so that I can bag a charity shop bargain if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now