Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Extending patio but can't match stones

(5 Posts)
ajandjjmum Tue 30-Apr-13 21:44:08

Try drawing it as a plan - helps to visualise. Use pencils to create the different shapes and shades, to see how they sit together.

chocolatecheesecake Tue 30-Apr-13 20:32:12

Thanks! I did wonder about lifting a few of the existing flagstones and putting some block paving inserts in their place but I'm finding it all a bit difficult to visualise.

ajandjjmum Tue 30-Apr-13 19:43:32

What about making a sort of design out of different finishes - might mean uplifting some of the existing, but using strips of 'something else' inbetween the different slabs - gravel, tarmac etc. We have slabs across the front of our house, and it then moves into gravel, the parking spots are in block paving and there is tarmac infront of the garages (apparently better for when DH washes the car!!). There's a bit of lawn too. Because it's planned, it actually looks really nice - although that descriptions sounds pretty dodgy!

HTH

flowery Tue 30-Apr-13 19:33:02

I have exactly this problem so am lurking smile

chocolatecheesecake Tue 30-Apr-13 19:32:08

We want to extend our patio in front of our garage (currently gravel) to make a bigger play area for the DC. We can't match up the stone and need smaller stones anyway so cars can still drive onto it if necessary.

Im worried two blocks of patio next to each other in different colour and size stone would look naff. Would it be better to take up the existing patio and re-lay it in flagstones the same colour as the new paved area in front of the garage (same stone Just smaller)? Or do something else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now