Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Cost of alcove shelving?

(9 Posts)
DrGarnettsWinterMixture Thu 24-Jan-13 09:44:08

I had basic shelves built in the alcoves on either side of the fireplace last year, and a carpenter recommended by a friend charged £400 for doing them (labour and materials). I love them!

BettyandDon Wed 23-Jan-13 16:50:34

I thought about getting those and was quoted £750 per alcove in SW London.

Didn't end up getting and still have horrid Ikea units <the shame....>

I'm going to maybe get a quote just for basic shelves with no fancy bits!

RatherNot Wed 23-Jan-13 16:48:37

I came across this company when I was considering alcove shelves who supply alcove kits : www.diyalcovecupboards.co.uk

- no idea how reliable they are as I didn't get them in the end, but they may be worth considering if your handyman comes out more expensive.

RatherNot Wed 23-Jan-13 16:48:19

I came across this company when I was considering alcove shelves who supply alcove kits : www.diyalcovecupboards.co.uk

- no idea how reliable they are as I didn't get them in the end, but they may be worth considering if your handyman comes out more expensive.

MustafaCake Wed 23-Jan-13 10:36:06

Ooh thanks for this, was just logging on to ask similar!

We are due to exchange on a victorian house in the next few weeks and want to get exactly these things built. I will be showing your picture as an example of what I want!

lolalotta Wed 23-Jan-13 06:12:23

That would be handy Ox, thank you! grin
They will look beautiful if you manage to find someone to do the work, I am sure!!!! smile Good Luck!

oxcat1 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:22:10

Well I'm glad! What's even better is that I had a handyman round this afternoon to give us a quote - spur of the moment thing - so I'll let you know what he says so you've got a ballpark figure.

And good luck with buying the house!

lolalotta Tue 22-Jan-13 13:48:28

Blumin' heck Ox, they are exactly what I after if we manage to buy the house we have our eye on, thank you SO much for the inspiration!!! I'm hoping to put a little wood burner in the hearth too.... grin

oxcat1 Tue 22-Jan-13 08:36:39

I'm after some shelving built into the alcoves either side of my fireplace, rather like this. Have you any idea how much it is likely to cost to get a handyman to knock some up?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now