Where should she apply for given her predicted A levels? If at all?

(58 Posts)
skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 20:48:10

DD was predicted BBC, after AS levels that's dropped to CCC which is only 240 points (plus 20 for AS and 30 for RAD ballet if the Uni takes these into consideration)
What should be be applying for realistically? It could be she pulls this back to BBC/BBB or worse case CCD? Where do you apply to in this case? And if she flunks altogether but still wants to go to uni what can she do to carry on with her dream? What if she doesn't get any offers?
She tried so hard and has slow processing problems, not dyslexic but just takes her ages to write essays etc.
I don't know how to help her, she spends all her time working bless her, I'm so afraid it will be wasted and she will get demoralised.

TheArticFunky Sun 06-Oct-13 20:52:01

What does she want to study?

skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 20:52:51

Psychology (BPS accredited)

lljkk Sun 06-Oct-13 20:55:06

what subjects are her A-levels in (doesn't it matter?)?

skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 20:55:44

It doesn't matter but Biology, English, Psychology

headlesslambrini Sun 06-Oct-13 21:00:42

BPS website has a list of accredited uni's, check on there first to get an initial list. Then hit UCAS website and match to results. She gets 5 choices.

Don't bother wasting any choices with above her predicted number of points - if she does better than expected then she can go through adjustment.

Use the 5 choices wisely but go for a range of entry points - go 2 choices on target and 3 below expected or 3 on target and 2 below but one just below and one 40-60 points below.

lljkk Sun 06-Oct-13 21:01:42

I know it's like a dirty word on here, but I expect there are ex-polys that would find room for her.

It really depends where she wants to go with education. What kind of job/career direction appeals to her? What are her strengths, think positive about what she does excel at. People take a lot of things for granted that they shouldn't.

headlesslambrini Sun 06-Oct-13 21:02:52
skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:03:54

Trouble is the lowest is 240 - 280 and she might only clear 240 points most need 260 - 300 so feeling despondant

jonicomelately Sun 06-Oct-13 21:05:20

What about somewhere like Edge Hill? It is a lovely, campus university and despite being a 'new' Univeristy seems to have a well regarded psychology department.

jonicomelately Sun 06-Oct-13 21:07:16
skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:07:41

Joni.....Edge Hill required 300 points, well out of her reach...

Lunaballoon Sun 06-Oct-13 21:07:56

Is the extended project available at your DD's school? My DD did it in a subject connected to her future uni course which helped in her personal statement and boosted her UCAS points. Some unis also give preference to students who put them as first choice, meaning that even if their grades are below those required they may still get a place. Good luck!

skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:08:53

Luna, it is but only to certain pupils, she applied but they didn't let her do it.

Liara Sun 06-Oct-13 21:10:05

TBH if I were you I would advise her not to apply anywhere, work as hard as she can and then take a year to do something related to the field she wants to work in.

She can then apply from a stronger position of having the results she gets and also having something more to offer which will show her commitment to her desired area of study.

skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:12:34

It's very difficult to find work related to the psych area due to confidentiality, she would be devastated if I told her not to apply as she's putting her all into it and really wants to go.
It's a good idea but I don't know where she could volunteer to.

jonicomelately Sun 06-Oct-13 21:12:56

Sorry. I didn't realise she wouldn't qualify. in that case Liara has some good advice.

skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:15:17

How could she improve on her results in her year out, if she chose that route? The school won't let her.
She was relieved to be able to stay at 6th form and not have to go to college and start over with a bTEC in health and social care, she really didn't want to do this, she was so happy to go back to school.

JGBMum Sun 06-Oct-13 21:16:20

What about asking if any of the unis that offer a foundation year in psychology would consider her? Specially if you can show that your dd has the ability but has slow processing problems.

Liverpool offers a bps accredited degree with a foundation year.

headlesslambrini Sun 06-Oct-13 21:17:48

What type of psychology? She might be able to do a foundation degree and then transfer after an amount of time

skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:18:48

Yes, that's a possibility, forgot about that it's just another year and another lot of ££

CaffeineDeficit Sun 06-Oct-13 21:22:01

Does she have idea what she wants to do after she's done the degree? Maybe there's an alternative path to the same, or a very similar, destination we could suggest.

For psychology work-related experience, it doesn't have to be in mental health or raise confidentiality issues. I did a lot of stuff (first volunteering, later paid) on kids' playschemes, which counted as experience with different stages of child development. If she's in any teams or groups, she could reflect on how she's applied her understanding of social psychology. Similarly, if she does take a year out to work, she could look for roles that she'd be able to talk about in similar terms on her UCAS form. Volunteering for an animal rescue charity = comparative psychology/behaviourism - there's lots of options if you think a bit laterally!

TheArticFunky Sun 06-Oct-13 21:23:32

I agree with the advice given by HeadlessLambrini.

There are few courses out there that offer on 240 points.

skyblue11 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:25:57

She's interested in Neuro/behavioural....and ultimately NLP..I just so want her to get the results she needs/deserves!

titchy Sun 06-Oct-13 21:26:14

Another vote for the foundation year eg m.gold.ac.uk/ug/integrated-degree-psychology/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now