NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What is this fruit?

(27 Posts)
lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 13:48:53

I thought I posted this earlier confused... Does anyone recognise what these are? Some kind of fruit in our greenhouse, a bit longer than a AA battery.

GEM33 Sat 19-Oct-13 13:50:33

Are they lychees?

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 13:53:28

ta 4 reply. no, they are hollow inside like air sacks. I thought they were some kind of chili, but are tasteless & don't look like any chili I can find online.

Apileofballyhoo Sat 19-Oct-13 14:00:06

If you have twitter try @simplyplants - normally good for identifying plants, not sure about fruit

KellyHopter Sat 19-Oct-13 14:14:44

Wild cucumber?

greenhill Sat 19-Oct-13 14:16:14

They look a bit like pale, empty horse chestnut cases.

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 14:19:49

another pic

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 14:23:35

They are hollow inside, like peppers, but I can't find a pepper like them. And they have flat black seeds that are maybe 5mm long.

I'm afraid of twitter, sadly!

GEM33 Sat 19-Oct-13 14:45:36

What does the plant look like they came off? Leaves? Pics? Interesting!

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 14:56:45

I can only post 6 pictures today, but here goes. This the plant leaf, heartshaped.

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 14:58:11

The plant is long and viney with thin stems, like a green bean. Here is the fruit growing on the plant.

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 14:58:57

last one, this is what inside of the fruit looks like. See black seeds.

BigGapMum Sat 19-Oct-13 15:02:17

I definitely think it's a member of the circubit family. It's a big family though so that hasn't really narrowed it down that much. When you say hollow inside it puts me in mind of a loofah which is in that family.

EBearhug Sat 19-Oct-13 15:04:01

I think wild cucumber, too.

ihearttea Sat 19-Oct-13 15:07:38

It looks like a guanabana

guanabana

EBearhug Sat 19-Oct-13 15:08:01

Although loofah is probably more likely, because you can buy the seeds here, usually as a novelty plant.

ihearttea Sat 19-Oct-13 15:08:24

Rubicon do a guanabana juice and it's lovely!

ihearttea Sat 19-Oct-13 15:10:12

Sorry, the leaves look wrong for what I thought

BigGapMum Sat 19-Oct-13 15:13:59

The leaves and plant are not right for a Guanabana. Did you plant the seeds yourself OP? Curcubits are notorious for cross pollinating with other varieties and producing a different plant from the parent plant.

marriedinwhiteisback Sat 19-Oct-13 15:15:17

Squash of some kind. The leaves look marrow/courgettish to me.

zzzzz Sat 19-Oct-13 15:15:47

Good lord! Mutant gooseberry??! grin

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 15:25:05

Someone was giving small plants away at work, back in July, and I didn't pay enough attention to what it was blush.
Squash & cucumbers are solid inside (mostly, I guess pumpkins are exceptional). Guanabanas are solid inside, too, I think?

It's like a flavourless spikey small pepper with black seeds.

The seeds are wrong colour for chillis or peppers.

omg, look at the boob plant.

BigGapMum Sat 19-Oct-13 15:45:46

I am guessing that they saved they seeds from their previous crop, but they had cross pollinated with something else. The shape is similar to a lemon cucumber or Crystal apple cucumber, which are both a bit spiky, but not as spiky as your fruit. The 'dad' could have been anything from a courgette or squash to another type of cucumber or a melon.

I saved the seeds myself from a Friend Prince squash (same family) once and had an amazing variety of results from the seeds from that one fruit, few of which were usable. Some were empty like your fruit.

I may be wrong of course. Ask your colleague about the seed, maybe.

ihearttea Wed 23-Oct-13 14:42:28

Maybe a cherimoya?

lljkk Wed 23-Oct-13 17:59:21

ooh, I love cherimoyas, definitely not one of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now