NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

(Picture) Can anyone tell me what this insect is that I found on my pillow?

(39 Posts)
EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 10:01:13

My second bug thread. Just wondered if any of you know what this is? I've also posted it in a bug forum but they can take ages to reply and I'm getting anxious.

Last night, before getting into bed, i found this mutant spider (but not a spider because it only has 6 legs) crawling along my pillow. My bed is right beneath a window, so this morning i intend to switch my room around to get my bed to a safe, windowless wall. blush I hate, hate, hate creepy crawlies. It looks pregannt to me and i now think my pillow is infected with millions of microscopic eggs...

The picture is extremely zoomed in as I took it from quite a distance. I'd say it was no bigger than 1/2 a cm.

Any ideas?

headlesslambrini Sun 08-Sep-13 12:42:49

grin

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 16:30:12

shock

Oh god it took me about five minutes to figure out that last post was a joke. I well and truly almost cried.

grin

I've scoured the house all day and no other sign of spider beetles. So hopefully it was just a one off.

headlesslambrini Sat 07-Sep-13 12:27:20

I know what it is - it's proper name is Mnwindmeuppie, I'm really sorry to say Op, that it's a rare creature under protected species status and against the law to kill or move it. I'm afraid if it wants your bed, then legally you have to let it have it. Think of it as squatters rights.

Unfortunately this is not the worst of it. In order to survive they need a specific liquid. This is mostly commonly found in ear wax. They crawl inside and drink from the wax, after they have quenched their thirst, they will often lay eggs, which hatch within two weeks. I can't tell from the picture if this is a male or female.

Beehatch Sat 07-Sep-13 12:16:29

Ahh, that second spider beetle is actually quite cute, all fluffy and brown!

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 12:01:00

and this. Both are spider beetles, so i was almost right in my op by saying it was a spider.

Apparently these can also be house pests, so I've to be on the lookout.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 11:59:53

don't be silly, Sparky. I was glad of the replies. I'm just relieved it's not a horrid bed bug grin

Okay, Just had a reply on the bug forum and the poster reckons it's a spider beetle like this one.

I just found a luminous green spider in the washing.

Between that and this thread I am itching all over.

SparkyTGD Sat 07-Sep-13 11:15:35

Maybe your weevil uses GHDs grin

SparkyTGD Sat 07-Sep-13 11:14:40

Gosh yes, sorry to add to your hysteria earlier blush

I didn't realise that it was possible to click on pic to get a better look (dopey in the morning grin), it does not look like a bedbug from closer look.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 11:09:55

Ah, actually it's antennae are pointing a bit more upwards in the second picture. Here's a zoomed in and rotated version of the other picture (with the strand of hair).

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 11:05:56

I mean "insect's" of course not "incest's". blush

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 11:05:25

Thanks again.

Its the antennae that's making me think it doesn't look like the weevil pictures you've all linked too.

My incests's antennae are very straight and pointing to each side. Whereas the weevils' seem to have a slight kink and are pointing slightly upwards.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 11:02:31

Thanks once again for all your replies. beginning to hope believe it's not a bed bug.

From the NHS link: "Adult bedbugs look a bit like lentils and are visible to the naked eye. They are oval-shaped, flat and reddish-brown, and up to 5mm long." "Because their bodies are flat..."

The body of this bug was distinctly round (hence why I thought it was up-duffed) and looked nothing like a lentil. It looked like a spider to me if not for the missing two legs.

I'm googling pictures of weevils too but can't see any that looks like my unwanted visitor either.

SilverApples Sat 07-Sep-13 11:02:23
Lethologica Sat 07-Sep-13 11:02:13

It's not a bedbug. It's abdomen is too rounded and its too small. Bedbugs are very flat when they haven't eaten.

BigBrassBand Sat 07-Sep-13 10:59:19

It doesn't look like a bedbug, look at the horizontal stripes on a bedbug's torso, whereas your beetle has a hard shell divided into 2 wing cases, rather like this species Typhaea stercorea

SparkyTGD Sat 07-Sep-13 10:58:04

heartichoke & Journey probably right, I see what you mean about the antennae.

heartichoke Sat 07-Sep-13 10:52:19

It's not a bedbug - look at those antennae...

If it was a bed bug I think there would be loads more.

<Clinging on to hope with OP>

SparkyTGD Sat 07-Sep-13 10:50:45

NHS link for you with advice.

Have you stayed in a hotel recently, perhaps its just a stray one, from the pics I've looked at (ewwww!) it looks like a male one.

Maybe its a stray, hopefully.

JourneyThroughLife Sat 07-Sep-13 10:49:28

It won't bite you, by the way, and no, it is not a bed bug...

JourneyThroughLife Sat 07-Sep-13 10:48:35

Just seen this - it's a weevil. They lay eggs in the soil in plant roots and then hatch out and eat plant leaves, making a mess of your plants, including pot plants. They are coming inside to hibernate for the winter, I'd take it outside again if it's come into the house. They have very hard shells on their back (in case you're unfortunate enough to squash it!)

heartichoke Sat 07-Sep-13 10:47:52

It's a lovely little weevil (not a vine weevil, which is a good thing!) that's lost its way.

It looks just like this pic and id of an Otiorhynchus aurifer Bohemian 1843: www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/thread/1998

JourneyThroughLife Sat 07-Sep-13 10:47:51

Just seen this - it's a weevil. They lay eggs in the soil in plant roots and then hatch out and eat plant leaves, making a mess of your plants, including pot plants. They are coming inside to hibernate for the winter, I'd take it outside again if it's come into the house. They have very hard shells on their back (in case you're unfortunate enough to squash it!)

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 07-Sep-13 10:44:08

I don't have any bites and that was the only one. I've stripped down all my bed and examined everything thoroughly with a light and can't see any others (clinging to yet another piece of small hope here).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now