NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Am clueless, please help

(11 Posts)
spg Sat 22-Jun-13 18:37:24

Thank you, * NeopreneMermaid *, it has taken ages or atleast feels like that..but, at least its done! Will look into Montblanc, i always thought that they were hugely expensive stuff.

Trills: I have moved out of the city and moreover, i think he possibly has all the bike-y stuff : pannier bags , multiple lights etc

WildThongsHeartString Sat 22-Jun-13 11:06:34

spb
They are quite traditional gifts here (in Scotland). I've seen them given on all sorts of occasions/ event marking as they have a generic meaning of shared friendship.
I just googled and lots of websites came up. Hope you get something either way, it's a lovely gesture from you.

spg Sat 22-Jun-13 10:43:16

WildThongsHeartString, : Quaish seems like a great idea;

A very quick Q if you don't mind,

Quaish will be ok to give to a teacher/professor/academic advisor ?
Just double-checking; Am not from UK and clueless abt whisky too;
So, just want to be sure.

Any more websites for Quaish that you can suggest?

NatashaBee: Any websites for whisky stones that you can suggest?

THanks a lot ladies

NeopreneMermaid Sat 22-Jun-13 10:42:32

What a lovely idea. My dad is a PhD advisor of similar age and a former student gave him a Montblanc pen (or possibly a pencil). He really appreciated it. I believe they're around that price.

And congratulations on your doctorate! smile

Trills Sat 22-Jun-13 10:40:24

If he is into his cycling could you go to a local bike shop, get a token small gift, and a gift voucher?

spg Sat 22-Jun-13 10:38:09

Thanks a lot for your messages;

I am not sure what his drink of choice is;
Also, he is hugely health conscious; Cycles to work etc So, a bottle of something isn't an option..And is anti-leather etc too, which rules out a few other options

So, am still looking...

Whatalotofpiffle :
Saw a clock on notonthehighstreet.com made from a bicycle wheel..but, it is 90 + GBP and wondering if its worth that money

Thanks a lot WildThongsHeartString and NatashaBee: I need to get something for my second supervisor and the scottish+whisky theme will be very appropriate for him ;-)

NatashaBee Fri 21-Jun-13 00:38:09

I was also going to suggest something whisky related. Maybe some whisky stones as well?

WildThongsHeartString Fri 21-Jun-13 00:34:58

What about a quaish? Maybe with a bottle of Malt if appropriate?
like these

(A quaich is a traditional Scottish cup with two lugs (handles), known as a symbol of friendship. Frequently given as rewards, prizes and celebration gifts)

BOF Fri 21-Jun-13 00:28:57

What is the subject area? I remember buying my Carbbean Studies teacher a packet of rum fudge as a thank you for being especially helpful.

Whatalotofpiffle Fri 21-Jun-13 00:25:46

Have you tried www.notonthehighstreet.com lots of great ideas

spg Thu 20-Jun-13 17:45:10

I need to buy a gift for my PhD advisor;
My budget is around 100 GBP;
He is 65-ish

After trawling a few websites, my head is spinning..
Though I know him for almost a decade now, it is a very formal work relationship. And so the gift needs to be appropriate for that sort of a thing.

He has been extremely helpful and i genuinely want to say a big thank you, rather than going through the ritual-token-gift sort of a thing.

Any ideas, ladies, please

PS: I couldn't figure out the best topic to post this in (if someone knows a better option, pls tell me, i'll try and repost it there);

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now