Is 15 degrees an OK indoor temperature?

(130 Posts)
nappyaddict Sun 10-Nov-13 21:55:48

I have got tshirt, cardigan and hoody on plus socks and slipper boots. I feel fine temperature wise. We have a real thermometer in the room that tells you the exact temperature as opposed to one of those colour changing ones so I know it really is 15 degrees and not any colder. Sister came round earlier and said it was freezing and that we were neglecting our poor DS in that temperature. We haven't had the heating on yet and trying to hold out until December cos of a big bill earlier in the year. Does anyone else wait until December if they can?

valiumredhead Fri 22-Nov-13 17:21:41

Ivy-I'm the same,I feel quite ill when the ch is too high.

ivykaty44 Fri 22-Nov-13 17:12:18

I have my heating on at 15 degrees and we wear jumpers and thick socks around the house, we are not cold. I do have the heating on at this temperature between 6pm-11pm and then again in the morning at 6am-8am.

I certainly put it up to around 18 degrees last winter with all the snow in January and we have electric blankets and sleep in pjs and thick socks to keep warm.

I grew up without central heating and we could lie in bed and blow white breath out.

I find a warmer house become uncomfortable for me and makes me wheezy as I am asthmatic so I keep the heating low and dress accordingly to the weather ( you will not find me in tshirt and shorts in the winter at home) - it is interesting to read that doing this would make it worse as I find the opposite smile

Homebird8 Fri 22-Nov-13 10:16:19

I've only skimmed the thread but can I pop in the World Health Organisation advice? They say that for health reasons living areas should be at a minimum of 18 deg.C in the day and bedrooms 16 deg.C at night. Below this the body can take a hit with regard to the immune system and pre-existing conditions like asthma etc. may be exacerbated. You can offset lower temperatures with increase clothing and activity though. Might be worth checking core body temperature if you feel cold. Below 35.5 deg.C indicates mild hypothermia.

ExcuseTypos Fri 22-Nov-13 10:09:05

You get used to what you do. If you and the dc are ok at 15, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinkssmile.

If its just me at home during the day, I hate putting the heating on so I wear- thermal leggings and vest, long sleeved t shrt, jumper, trousers, woolly socks, uggs and a scarf. I feel toasty warm. Its about 15/16 in the house. In the afternoon I'll light the wood burner and that keeps the house warm all evening. So we don't need to put the central heating on very much.

Idespair Fri 22-Nov-13 09:37:11

15 is really cold.

nappyaddict Fri 22-Nov-13 09:33:00

Our kitchen was 11.4 when I got up today!! I would have put the heating on when we got up but we were both going out within 30 minutes so it seemed a bit pointless!

valiumredhead Thu 21-Nov-13 12:54:07

Piglet-we gave just fitted a new thermostat, it's fantastic and we have set it to come on at different temps at different times of the day. It's also so accurate that it had eliminated arguments Dh and I have about the house being too hot or cold. we got ours from Ebay and fitted it ourselves, it was half the price of an engineer doing it

PigletJohn Thu 21-Nov-13 12:31:26

Modern programable room thermostats are very good for that. You can set them for different temperatures at different times of day and days of week, and can (for example) set it to 12C for frost protection for 13 days holiday, returning to normal the day before you are scheduled to come home.

Insurers frown on claims for damage from burst pipes if the house was left empty and unheated during a winter holiday.

Belize Thu 21-Nov-13 12:15:30

Puss it wouldn't take a long time to heat it up if you had it on low all the time. A stone cold house takes days/weeks to heat up properly.

My parents went to the States once in November for 10 days and decided to turn the heating off completely - omg that house was unbearably cold for ages after they got back. It was really chill through to the bones as it were.

pussinwellyboots Thu 21-Nov-13 11:36:50

Glad to hear that there are others who don't worry too much at a chilly house. d(3.5)s and I are at home and temperature is 14. Its fine and our hands are not cold but I do have a fleece that I put on when I come into the house. He's going to nursery soon so I don't feel the need to put heating on. It takes a long time to heat up so.there's no point

lifesgreatquestions Thu 21-Nov-13 11:22:50

I've just purchased room temp gauges and put them throughout the house and can therefore correct my previous post! I thought I was keeping the dial at around 20 but of course it isn't accurate, the house actually hovers at 17/18 degrees. This is great when we're moving around and doing stuff, it feels cold when we're sitting still on the sofa at night, but the bedroom has to get down to 15 to be ok for sleeping and I've since learned that 15 isn't as cold as I thought!

Belize Thu 21-Nov-13 10:01:06

Oh the children don't ever feel cold, it's ME I'm thinking about grin!

Mcnorton Thu 21-Nov-13 08:48:44

Depends on child. Mine is always warm, he'd be fine at 15 degrees.

Belize Wed 20-Nov-13 19:25:41

Get everyone over in the summer TheJoyfulPuddleJumper and go around to theirs in the winter grin!

valiumredhead Wed 20-Nov-13 19:10:32

I wouldn't give guests a blanket! That's outrageousangry

I'd give them a hot water bottlewink grin

Belize yes, it's due to finances. I don't have guests often because of it, but I do have some lovely big coffee mugs that are good for wrapping your hands round!

Matildathecat Wed 20-Nov-13 17:39:50

Depends how busy you are. If hoovering, housework etc I think it's ok but if sitting around it would feel cold.

I'm at home alone in the day and feel guilty for putting the heating on.

I do, though!

Belize Wed 20-Nov-13 17:34:46

TheJoyfulPuddleJumper, are you doing this because you can't afford to heat your flat? If so, I totally understand, if it's just because you don't feel cold then I do sympathise with your poor guests. I would be utterly miserable at that sort of temperature and a jumper or blanket just wouldn't cut the mustard. If you are sitting down at a friend's house, which is usual, not running around hoovering or whatever, then your extremities can get very cold which is just horrible.

It's not very hospitable and I would be mortified if I thought someone was cold in my house although if it is due to finances it is of course a different story.

Eastpoint Wed 20-Nov-13 17:26:30

I find that my hands start to get too cold once its under 17. I wear sheepskin boots (like uggs) in the house to keep my feet warm, a gilet, woolly scarf etc. I have an electric blanket on my side of the bed so I can add a bit of warmth if I wake up because I'm too cold in the night.

It's 15-16 in my flat during the day atm, it goes down to 14 at night. We wear layers, use fan heaters in the bedrooms for quarter of an hour before bed and have blankets on the sofas.

If a guest complained I'd offer them a jumper or one of the blankets.

valiumredhead Tue 19-Nov-13 13:03:11

It is 15 degrees ATM and not even remotely chilly here, I'm not even wearing tons of layers just a long sleeved t shirt and cardi.

lljkk Mon 18-Nov-13 15:44:50

I need finger gloves, maybe hat & four layers on body right now (it's 17).
Friends complain that it's balmy if they get above 12 in their house.
I have to wear my coat & can only stay about 90minutes.
Am not sure about the acclimatisation theory, I used to wear shorts outside when snow on the ground, not any more!

GooseyLoosey Mon 18-Nov-13 15:15:53

Our house gets cold enough to have ice on the inside of the windows and water left in a glass freeze in the kitchen.

I keep the room we are in warm and the heating is on around bed time/shower time and getting up time for the kids. Otherwise I have lovely fleecy pjs and lots of blankets.

Kids' friends do find our house cold so I try and remember to turn the heating on for them but if it is on for any length of time I feel like I'm over heating and have to retire to a room with the windows open.

nappyaddict Mon 18-Nov-13 14:52:13

Our kitchen is cooler - it has been down to around 13 due to poor insulation and a big kitchen with tiled floor, no underfloor heating and 2 small radiators which only heat it up to 15-17 degrees.

Alwayscheerful Thu 14-Nov-13 12:14:09

I think you can get used to 15 degrees, for some reason 16 is a more acceptable temperature but you would still need one room maintained at 20 or 22 degrees, our house is big and old and very cold - think 5 degree in winter, we try and maintain it to 15/6 degrees all day and one room at 20 degrees with a Woodburner, I have to say I start to feel faint and begin to strip layers off if the temperature rises above 20 degrees.

A cooler house is a lot easier to bear if you CHOOSE to live at 15 degrees to conserve funds, you can do so fairly easily with lots of layers of cashmere and warm sheepskin lined boots but it is very miserable existence if it is enforced due to lack of funds and accompanied by lack of food and other essentials.

Everyone should be able to have at least one warm room, to me it seems very wasteful to heat an entire house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now