Couples who both work FT...

(61 Posts)
VikingVagine Fri 30-Aug-13 15:14:39

... and don't have a cleaner, how do you fit it all in?

MortifiedAdams Fri 30-Aug-13 22:15:36

I straighten the couch cushions and clear any used crockery to the kitchen while im waiting for the kettle to boil.

VikingVagine Fri 30-Aug-13 22:20:59

I have a kindle thanks, you know not all books are available for e readers right?

Trills Sat 31-Aug-13 10:34:11

"Book clutter" doesn't create work though, does it? Books just sit there on shelves.

VikingVagine Sat 31-Aug-13 10:56:09

I love my books, but do indeed need shelves because right now most of them are cluttering up the place in boxes, but yes, once they're put away they definitely don't count as clutter!

Astr0naut Sat 31-Aug-13 11:25:21

They do make the place look cluttered though. I have an alcove with shelves for my books, but it always looks busy, iyswim. my neighbours' living rooms seem so much tidier without.

forevergreek Sat 31-Aug-13 11:37:13

I couldn't cope with book 'clutter'. They get way too dusty and look messy unless sets/ matching ( to me).
Hence the books we have kept are all hidden behind doors, and just x2 shelves of children's classic are on show but behind glass door ( all red/ blue/ green, gold lettering, same size). Iv had them since a child and now read to my children ( things like secret garden/ jungle book/ Swiss family Robinson)

VikingVagine Sat 31-Aug-13 12:12:02

Ah yes, but we will be keeping all our bookcases in the office/library. I agree in a living room they would look cluttered.

blueshoes Sat 31-Aug-13 12:20:02

Our books are in our study. We got a carpenter to build shelves practically up to the ceiling on one wall with cupboards at the bottom to store lever arch files (house admin).

Viking, well worth looking into this, if you can. It makes things so much neater and easier to access (esp files), with masses of storage so you don't feel guilty buying yet another book.

Peregrin Sun 01-Sep-13 15:32:25

We have low standards.

Even so it turned into a major strain on our relationship - we both hate the lows that the state of our flat could get to, we both agree intellectually that the chores should be divided equally, but we'd always end up with arguments and petty bookkeeping on who has done how much and who is more stressed with work/admin obligations.

I also felt like a failure for contemplating hired help to tackle something that I felt I should be able to do.

We now have a cleaner who comes twice a month to tackle the worst of it. We do the dishes and laundry and spot treat the worst disasters in betwen.

Chocolatehunter Mon 02-Sep-13 13:59:00

We do a bit every day. All our friends think that it's funny and that I am a nightmare because we have a blackboard on the kitchen wall which outlines what we have to do everyday. Monday is bins, Tuesday is beds, Wednesday is floors, Thursday is full bathroom clean, Friday (because DH finishes early) is hoover and dust.

We both work full time so we have to work together and this is something that DH took a while to accept, but hey ho, he didn't marry a slave. On top of the daily jobs, the shower gets sprayed and toilet gets wiped over with toilet wipes every other day. The kitchen tops and cooker are cleaned every time we wash dishes and clothes washing is done whenever there's enough for a wash.

Chocolate, I'm liking your thinking, and I might adopt it for DP and I!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now