Mould on the bathroom ceiling

(13 Posts)
Downfall Sun 25-Aug-13 11:37:10

Great tips, thank you all. Its my mission for next week.

princesspeabody Sun 25-Aug-13 11:33:12

We had the same problem.

Clean ceiling with mould & mildew remover (in green bottle), get extractor fan fitted, replastered ceiling and painted with Dulux anti-mould bathroom paint. Not a black spec since...

VikingVagine Sun 25-Aug-13 11:30:06

I just made up a bowl warm water with a generous splash of bleach and sponged the ceiling clean. Airing is important obviously. I'm going to get some special bathroom paint too.

Oh and if you're going to sponge the ceiling with bleach, avoid standing directly underneath no I do not have blond patches in my eyebrows .

apprenticemum Sat 24-Aug-13 08:59:10

I have a little rental house where tennants don't keep the window ajar so the ceilling was black when they left. once cleand off with bleach and then sugar soap i was told to repaint with oil based paint not emulsion. It dosent need to be gloss. So far, so good.

SkaffenAmtiskaw Wed 21-Aug-13 23:48:20

I can't remember where I got it, possibly a diy store but supermarkets should have a version. I didn't want a liquid one as the drips would have made it tricky to apply!

Downfall Wed 21-Aug-13 20:21:02

That's encouraging Skaffen, thanks. Is the bleach based gel something I can get at a supermarket?

SkaffenAmtiskaw Wed 21-Aug-13 16:24:14

I had that problem too, I cleaned the mould away with a bleach-based gel (nasty!) then painted with Ronseal anti-mould paint. Seems to have done the trick, that was about a year ago and there is no mould at all on the ceiling. I don't have an extractor fan but the window is open pretty much all the time. HTH, good luck!

Downfall Wed 21-Aug-13 11:51:08

Thanks both.

PolterGoose Wed 21-Aug-13 11:03:57

You need an extractor fan.

However, when I've lived in houses without them I've found that the bathroom paints do a good job at stopping the growth of mildew. First scrub the mildew with HG Mould spray and leave to dry, this will get rid of what's there and help prevent re-growth. Then paint.

MousyMouse Wed 21-Aug-13 09:13:22

only keep it on when the window is not open.
dunno about paint, sorry.

Downfall Wed 21-Aug-13 08:46:02

Thanks. There is a large towel radiator - so if I keep this on even through summer it will help?

Is there any product or type of paint recommended for mould resistance?

MousyMouse Wed 21-Aug-13 08:40:22

if you get an etractor fan installed.
do you have heating in the bathroom? if yes short bursts of heat followed by opening the window as wide as it goes for a bit 'pumps' the warm moist air out.

-simple physics= warm air can hold more moisture, so when heating the moisture from walls and ceiling will get into the air. opening the window them replaces the warm damp air with cooler, dryer air from outside.

Downfall Wed 21-Aug-13 08:32:58

How can I prevent it?

Bathroom is small, but does have a window that is open most of the time. No mould on the painted walls, and it is fully tiled around the shower-over-bath.

I presume it is steam keeping the ceiling damp, but I presumably cant do anything about that?

Any tips?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now