July's Fledgling Flyers: Summer holidays are on their way and the clutter is going to FLY away

(810 Posts)
elliepac Sun 30-Jun-13 20:33:25

Welcome old and new fledglings to the July Fledgling FLYers thread!

Thank you very much to cpmpy for leading us expertly through June- it's been a while since I lead so I can't promise to be as efficient but will do my best grin. This will start by copying and pasting pmpy's original June postgrin

If you're overwhelmed by clutter and general household grub then join us as we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system or languish in the naughty corner hoping to do better tomorrow

As usual, we will be following the Flylady three-pronged approach:

1. Baby-steps (a daily step to establish routines)
2. Then baby-steps + 15 mins daily decluttering
3. (And once decluttered) babysteps + daily missions and maybe even detailed cleaning in the weekly zones

For more information have a look here, although to avoid a cluttered inbox, we advise not signing up to the Flylady emails. The basic principle is little and often and don't worry about perfection (no chance of that here!).

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on and chat our way through the month

Steamedcabbage Thu 01-Aug-13 17:22:41

Ahem, you most definitely have NOT been shite Ellie, you'e done a brill job! (Especially with balancing all end of term stuff too)

And well done on the 30 bags of decluttering!!!!

BitchytheGreat Thu 01-Aug-13 01:11:42

August's thread!! Good luck, the mood i am in you might just need it <sticks tongue out><considers if she is even able to move enough to put ice packs back into freezer>

ToffeeWhirl Thu 01-Aug-13 00:14:28

That sounds helpful for Joe, Trazzle, though I'm not surprised you find it hard to remember all the exercises with everything else that's going on.

Flying and MFPing has fallen by the wayside here too, Goth.

See you all on the new thread...

GoingGoingGoth Wed 31-Jul-13 22:38:09

So much for the fresh start on Monday blush at work until Tuesday, and then at Blair Drummond Safari Park today (was brilliant)
So not been flying or MFPing

Have got a laundry load on

Tomorrow will be better!

Trazzletoes Wed 31-Jul-13 19:27:13

He has physios and OT to help with his legs because he's struggling to walk. The OTs were also quite involved when he had the infection in his thumb and wouldn't use his hand for over a month so it seized up.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 31-Jul-13 19:14:04

OMG, how on earth do they expect Joe to do any exercises at the moment, Trazzle? confused

ellie - aww, I luffs you too grin.

Vowed to stay off the booze tonight <peers at wine in hand>

Trazzletoes Wed 31-Jul-13 19:01:24

Toffee unsurprisingly Joe has an OT (why not since he has every other kind of professional in the world involved in his care) though I don't know why I posted that as I can't really help, sorry, they just come in and tell me off for not doing the exercises they want him to do - which is fair enough!

By the way, I have decided to name change (or at least try) for posts on anything other than Joe's thread - I don't like being so easily findable for friends, family and total ransoms, especially in the future when the children are older. So I'll come back tomorrow looking somewhat different grin if I remember that is...

elliepac Wed 31-Jul-13 18:18:10

Aaaw toffee, I luffs you. smile.

saturn am on hols at the moment so looking as if I am achieving a lot. Work full time as a teacher plus managerial role and it is safe to say I am crap when working. The key i have found is 1. Don't sweat the small stuff. 2. Babysteps and their.routines do work and become manageable and actually make life a damn sight easier. 3. Lower your standardsgrin.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 31-Jul-13 18:15:59

Well done, saturn. I don't think I've ever bothered with the Flylady emails, by the way. Everything else on your list is useful.

Have taken DS2 to the playground and ended up organising hide-and-seek for various stray children again smile. Was going to have a night off wine tonight, but seem to have wine in my hand confused.

DS1 has his OT appointment tomorrow. He has been on the waiting list for two years. Now it's imminent, I'm wondering what will happen and whether I need to ask them to check anything apart from his handwriting issues (eg. sensory issues), or whether the OT will do that anyway. Has anyone else taken their child to an OT? What happened? I feel as if this appointment is like gold dust, so I'd better make the most of it.

saturn Wed 31-Jul-13 18:06:55

Feeling unmotivated as usual when I get in from work, so here goes:

Ta da
Dressed to shoes

To do
Read Flylady e-mails
Negative voices
Hot spot
5 minute room rescue
Shine sink
Lay out clothes for tomorrow
Another hot spot
15 minutes decluttering

Better get started...sad

BitchytheGreat Wed 31-Jul-13 17:13:54

I will set up the thread later, i have to go out. sorry. Will link when i get in ready for the early birds.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 31-Jul-13 16:46:44

No you haven't! You've been luffly and funny, as always.

elliepac Wed 31-Jul-13 16:44:30

Don't thank me toffee. I've been shitegrin.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 31-Jul-13 16:08:12

ellie - thanks for posting the links this month. Am impressed at your 30 bags of decluttering.

Didn't stop yesterday. Took DS2 to his swimming lesson, then caught the train up to London to meet my DM. The op was delayed, so we spent several hours hanging around and didn't get home till evening, by which time we'd cheered ourselves up by opening a bottle of wine on the train.

DH did some decluttering and tidying whilst I was out grin.

Feeling as if I might be coming down with a cold. Have done swimming lesson with DS2 and CBT therapy with DS1. Minimal flying today.

BitchytheGreat Wed 31-Jul-13 15:55:32

ta da
get up
breakfast
internet stuff
folding
ironing
first load of sofa blankets washed
15mins in my room
remove random suitcase that appeared in lounge
remove ds' school bag for de-dusting
sort out ds' pe kit bag and make list of things to be replaced/checked for possible replacement
2nd load of sofa blankets washed
car emptied
Car to garage]
post office
check finances
collect washing up for dw loading
collect laundry
look at pile of table clothes and towels that never got put away and are now full of dust and chuck back into washing pile
damp dust sofa
3rd load of sofa blankets washed (5 in total)
consider child proofing needed for when my now cruising nephew comes to visit and discover how un-child proof the house now is.
remove ds' bath toys from bath
collection dead things upstairs ready for washing
4th load of sofa blankets on to wash
2 loads of clothes (incl unpair sock pile that needed re washing and some of the towels that needed rewashing)
empty 3 bookcases
move 2 bookcases
collect car and receive a drowning in process
sort out plans for tonight
discuss plans for going away. A whole 24hrs worth of holiday shockhmm
eat lunch
move and clean sofa wood work
clean coffee tables
clean everything normally stored underneath/behind sofa 1
wash lounge table clothes
hoover skirting boards
take out recycling

Also done by other members of shared household:
dw loaded
collection of steam cleaner for tackling the bathroom
buying of lovely cakes that are not on the diet sheet but very lovely to eat grin
Clean pictures in corner being de-dusted
clean light fittings in corner being de-dusted
de-junk corner coffee table
Remove stuff that shouldn't be in lounge

Need to find new hoover bags and change the bag in the hoover, and carry on de-dusting. I clearly need more coffee to achieve this!

BitchytheGreat Wed 31-Jul-13 15:14:44

envy re car.

elliepac Wed 31-Jul-13 14:34:55

Afternoon all. Thought it was August today and so didn't post links. That's what happens when all the days merge into one on holidayblush. Upon this discovery I also realised i must have missed out a babystep somewhere along the line as I posted the 31st one yesterday. Whoops.

On a flying note I have done the complete opposite to the fat fairy over the last two days and had a massive clearout of dc's rooms ready for decorating. Have taken about 30 bags of broken/missing bits/ unused stuff to skip/recycling and given my CM quite a few bags of stuff as well.

Ta da:-
Finished clearing out DD's room of everything
Decluttered DS's room (whilst he is at bF's-evil mother)
Gym
Sweated a lot

Now to restore order in the rest of the house. Oh and our oldest car went in for an mOT today and all it needed was a new tyre and a wiperblade. Result!

BitchytheGreat Wed 31-Jul-13 13:59:28

Unfortunately that list is going to get much much longer saturn I fucking HATE dust from building work. Two inch layer plus has appeared literally everywhere. Will get it all cleaned and then have to reclean everything in another 3 days time to remove the ext two inch layer that will descend sad

Taking a lunch break and to rescue my car. We know what is wrong with it but it needs a part to be delivered so it can be fixed, and thus will need to go back. sad very very annoying.

More done will update list later.

saturn Wed 31-Jul-13 13:22:53

Very impressed with your ta da list bitchy

SC - hope the queasiness was not all the wine I passed your way last night!

Steamedcabbage Wed 31-Jul-13 12:58:32

Morning all

Nice to see some regulars popping in too smile

Saturn/Polkadot think half the battle is NOT sitting down before one has crossed off those few all-important routines ... well done for resisting the urge! Great to hear the system is working for you both.

Hi Mercury how exciting about your course! (Loads of teachers/ former teachers on here who will be able to give you tips I am sure)

PA wot Bitchy said. Your guest will just love having a home-made dinner that she hasn't had to cook. And everyone loves shepherd's pie!! And, you are doing her a favour remember!!! And, and ..not least ... you are a great cook remember!!!

Felt rotten last night - queasy and wierd- but have woken up full of beans and much more chipper today! DD out for about an hour so just taking the opportunity to do some Mnsetting office organising and then, like Bitchy, must get cracking after two/three-day pause.

Bitchy thanks for taking over in Aug. Don't hesitate if you need back-up etc as am now here when I expected to be travelling.

BitchytheGreat Wed 31-Jul-13 12:52:23

ta da
get up
breakfast
internet stuff
folding
ironing
15mins in my room
sort out ds' pe kit bag and make list of things to be replaced/checked for possible replacement
car emptied
Car to garage]
post office
check finances
collect washing up for dw loading
collect laundry
look at pile of table clothes and towels that never got put away and are now full of dust and chuck back into washing pile
damp dust sofa
3rd load of sofa blanketson to wash (5 in total)
consider child proofing needed for when my now cruising nephew comes to visit and discover how un-child proof the house now is.
remove ds' bath toys from bath
collection dead things upstairs ready for washing

Also done by other members of shared household:
dw loaded
collection of steam cleaner for tackling the bathroom
buying of lovely cakes that are not on the diet sheet but very lovely to eat
grin

saturn Wed 31-Jul-13 11:56:58

Morning all...just!

Bitchy - brew to help with the damp dusting/washing down.

Polka - agree with you re getting a few bits done before bed even when zonked, as that was me last night, but was so glad made the effort this morning...didn't feel like I was starting the day behind

Mercury - good luck with house tidy today

PA - grin at Duracell bunny - funny mental image. Better than when I was running around the office the other day and someone compared me to Benny Hill! angry. Shepherds pie and chocolate cake sounds lovely - can I come to tea too?

Waves to everyone else!

Ta da
Dressed to shoes

Don't seem to have time in a morning to get anything else done!

PolkadotRosa Wed 31-Jul-13 11:51:22

Ta Da
Washed, upper-half dressed(!) pj bottoms & flip-flops in situ.
Beds made.
Dishwasher emptied.
Breakfasts done.
Little one's sorted.
Breakfast pots in dishwasher.
Highchair and tray cleaned and soggy food bits up off floor.
Slow cooker on for ( avec wierd and wonderful pork veg concoction)
Worktops wiped.
Washload on.

To Do
Dress lower half
Swish & swipe bathroom / remove spitty toddler toothpaste waterfall from sink
Play with/feed baby when awake
Ironing when baby next asleep
Tidy toys
Empty washload/onto airer
Declutter/destroy some old paperwork
Flylady jobs for today

BitchytheGreat Wed 31-Jul-13 11:22:12

ta da
get up
breakfast
internet stuff
folding
ironing
15mins in my room
car emptied

PolkadotRosa Wed 31-Jul-13 11:10:18

Hello all. Been trying to keep up inbetween rubbish stressy RL things getting in the way. Can I just say what a difference it makes to wake up to a tidy lounge and kitchen, especially when stressed to buggery I've been straightening up before bed, even when zonked, and it's so much better in lots of ways. Funny how it all has a knock-on effect. And quickly swishing/swiping the bathroom each day means that doesn't need much thought either. So i'm chuffed with myself about that. Need to work on the 'clothes out' thing and will do today's mission etc soon.
Hope you're better pmpy and that everyone else gets done what they want and has a good day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now