Big de-cluttering thread anyone?

(19 Posts)
VikingVagine Fri 28-Jun-13 11:36:24

Due to fleas <shudder> we are having a massive tidy/clean up of the house.

DH started on Wednesday, I have joined in today.

The house is massive by my standards (5 bedrooms, 160m2), we've only been here 4 years and it is full of crap we really don't need/use so I've decided to de-clutter.

So far we have got rid of (either bin or charity, by bag I mean 50l bin bags):

4 bags of broken toys
2 bags of good toys
3 bags of soft toys
1 bag shoes
6 bags of general rubbish (!!!)
3 bags of recycling
2 cars full (207, back seats down) of junk from the garage (old car seat, old cot, dolls house, etc.)
3 rugs
A duvet
A mattress

There is still lots to do. Anyone else de-cluttering? Can you beat my list?!

Hercy Fri 28-Jun-13 12:00:06

I can't beat your list as I haven't started yet! But this weekend I plan to declutter and spring clean the whole house. Much smaller than yours though (2 bed town house).

Probably wont get it all done, but the main areas that are going to take an age:

Garage (full of stuff, but having the old sofa, old tv and stuff for the tip collected on Saturday so that's a good start)
The spare room wardrobe of shame
Kitchen cupboards crammed with stuff that hasn't been used in 3+ years.

As well as numerous cabinets etc that just get filled with junk.

And that's before all the cleaning.

As much as I'd like to, get it all done this weekend, I don't think it's realistic, but I hope to make a good start!

VikingVagine Fri 28-Jun-13 12:52:47

I almost just burnt our house down shock !!! The washing machine was on 60° (hoping that's enough for fleas) and the dryer was on at the same time, the plug melted! Luckily we both smelt it and caught it just in time (smoke and everything). I'm shaking.

OddSockMonster Fri 28-Jun-13 12:58:37

Crikey! Might be worth getting an electrician to chack that out, something should have tripped out before it got to that point!

brew

OddSockMonster Fri 28-Jun-13 13:04:04

I'm slowly attempting a declutter but DS2 keeps putting a stop to it.

I was sorting out a bookcase just now, heard a crash and am now holding together the two glued parts of a wooden dolphin that he'd swatted off the mantlepiece with a swimming float I'd dug out.

Have so far decluttered:
Three magazines,
One broken bunny rabbit clock.

Maybe I'll have another go when he starts pre-school.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 28-Jun-13 13:27:52

Bloody hell Viking, burning the house down = extreme de-cluttering. Glad you're all okay.

I only need a mini-de cluttering thread <not a mansion emoticon> grin

cherhorowitz Fri 28-Jun-13 13:32:51

Oh hello there, my new home thread! grin I wish you hadn't have posted this as my house desperately needs a deep clean and a thorough organise. I've got the two kids down with chicken pox and I've got a really nasty cold so I'm procrastinating. You're making me feel lazy!

So far the living room needs a MAJOR declutter. So much that doesn't belong here is here. The master bedroom currently has a massive floordrobe too.

VikingVagine Fri 28-Jun-13 18:52:39

Well, DS has started doing his room and is chucking out lots of toys. DH has begun The Big Hoover. Tomorrow the cull continues.

As for the dodgy electrics, we're in France, which explains a lot and has nothing to do with the fact I had both on the same plug .

GobblersKnob Fri 28-Jun-13 18:56:18

My tumble dryer set itself on fire once, luckily I skelt the smoke before it got to bed, sympathies, it is very sobering.

Would have definately defeated the fleas though wink

GobblersKnob Fri 28-Jun-13 18:57:49

And I am in the middle of a toy cull which so far has involved covering the whole living room in toys, really need to whip the kids back into action.

VikingVagine Sat 29-Jun-13 15:22:07

A few more bags of rubbish gone today. Having trouble getting the DCs on board with the minimalist approach; suddenly toys they haven't played with for over a year are their favourite toys ever hmm .

We've dusted and hoovered pretty much everywhere, I've washed the pillows, put the kitchen cabinet doors on (the cabinets have been up for over a month!) and that is it for now.

We're waiting for DD to wake up from her nap, then we're detonating the sprays and going to DM's for the night. I hope nothing goes wrong and the house doesn't fall down or anything because of the sprays.

I think we'll unplug everything but the fridge before we go shock

Am I gong to come home tomorrow to an insect graveyard? I've just realised, this is going to kill all our spiders too isn't it sad we'll probably be invaded by flies and mosquitos by next week.

OddSockMonster Sun 30-Jun-13 08:06:38

Wow, hope the sprays work (and you don't come back to a half melted house).

I did an enormous tidy up yesterday, and hoovered absolutely everything (even the spiderwebs on the corners of the curtain rail, never needed to do that before), but didn't throw anything out.

I have my eye on a couple of tubs of baby toys though - will wait till the boys are not looking for that, they'll be like yours ... 'oh you found rattle teddy, I've so missed him' hmm

VikingVagine Sun 30-Jun-13 10:10:42

I've had nightmares all night about the cat managing to sneak into the house ask was locking up yesterday and her being fumigated with all the nasty fleas and poor spiders sad . We're going to have lunch at mum's then go home to open all the windows and doors before going out for the afternoon while the house gets a good airing.

I wonder if the car has fleas too? I should probably give it a good spray too shouldn't it? I hope I haven't brought fleas to mum's shock !!!

Gingerandproud Sun 30-Jun-13 10:22:33

MAke sure you do the car as well! We had fleas when we moved into our new house from the previous owners cat- all gone now! Good luck!

VikingVagine Sun 30-Jun-13 14:53:51

Well I just popped hometo open the windows. The cat is fine, she was in the garden where shears supposed to be. The house is fine, I just hope the bloody fleas are dead!

NappyHappy Sun 30-Jun-13 15:08:56

Ive started on the house but can only get a room a day done. It was the utility room last night and Ive started on the garden today I just need to weed the beds.

Ill sell/donate what I can out of each room.

Gingerandproud Sun 30-Jun-13 18:25:49

viking if they are not let me know as i have un used bombs ill send you.

VikingVagine Sun 30-Jun-13 19:10:45

Well, the house seems pretty flea free. The cat is still crawling with the little blighters. I think I'm going to have to give her a bath... thanks for the offer of extra bombs, you haven't got a chain mail full body armour you could send instead have you?!

Gingerandproud Tue 02-Jul-13 09:27:02

Unfortunately not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now