Dishwasher leaving rust-like marks on cutlery. What am I doing wrong?

(23 Posts)
angusandelspethsthistlewhistle Sat 29-Jun-13 03:01:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cheerfulweather Sat 29-Jun-13 02:37:13

Could it be your cutlery rather than dishwasher? I've only had this on my inferior brand cutlery.

cheerfulweather Sat 29-Jun-13 02:35:23

We've never used salt (dishwasher tech said was not necessary) always rinse and occasionally get this problem. I think our dishwasher is on its last legs, however.

ThePurpleCarrot Sat 29-Jun-13 02:05:06

I think it depends on the water where you live. I've lived in several countries and never experienced a problem until we came to live in Western Australia. New dishwasher, new IKEA dishwasher approved cutlery - immediate rust.

Lived in other side of country (Brisbane) before - no issues.

CointreauVersial Sat 29-Jun-13 01:48:56

OP, you say you've had the dishwasher for a month and not cleaned the filters...... My filters need washing out about once a week or I find grot stuck to the crockery. It's (usually) a really quick job, and worth doing regularly.

PigletJohn Sat 29-Jun-13 00:56:28

I hate the lemon flavoured stuff, it clings to the plates.

e1y1 Fri 28-Jun-13 23:17:42

We have had a dishwasher for years and NEVER used salt. Then one day, for some reason still unbeknown to me I decided to put salt in the dishwasher. After this rust spots started appearing on cutlery straight away.

We live in a very, very soft water area (one of the softest water areas in the UK) so don't know why I added salt.

Needless to say, never did it again. I also stopped using lemon/citrus based detergent and the problem has gone.

PigletJohn Sun 23-Jun-13 23:32:12

I wonder if you have soft water.

stickchildren3 Sun 23-Jun-13 21:13:51

I've never added salt to our dishwasher, inherited in house move 5 years ago. Dishes and cutlery always come out clean!

FALSEdichotomy Sun 23-Jun-13 20:35:49

Don't - I say DON'T use lemon dishwasher tabs

PigletJohn Sun 23-Jun-13 17:22:18

I don't agree with that.

Some stainless items will eventually go dull or get spots on them, once a year or so I give them a rub with a green scourer if so. Far East cooking utensils are I find worst quality stainless.

My mum got told this was inevitable by a dishwasher person I think and to wash the cutlery separately.
Which kind of defeats the point...

PenguinBear Sun 23-Jun-13 08:58:25

We have had a dishwasher for 15 years and the only time it's ever gone rusty was when DP overdid the salt!

milktraylady Sat 22-Jun-13 11:20:08

Lady in John Lewis told us to always open the dishwasher when it's done.
If you don't the cutlery will go rusty.
Especially the knives as they are always made of an alloy.

6 years later the knives are only just starting to get a wee bit rusty.

<<Goes off to taste dishwasher water>>.

Shall report back. Thank you all for your help.

PigletJohn Fri 21-Jun-13 16:58:51

there should never be any salt in the washing or rinsing water, it is only used to regenerate the miniature water softener in the base of the machine, and is pumped to the drain afterwards.

If there is ever salt in the washing chamber, your machine has a fault and needs repair.

BTW the regeneration frequency can be adjusted to suit the hardness of your water.

I get this when there's too much salt. I don't top it up as often as it asks - maybe only every couple of months - and even then I don't fill it as full as it goes. Rinse aid on the other hand I top up weekly at least.

FiftyShadesofGreyMatter Fri 21-Jun-13 10:58:45

I get this occasionally in my new Bosch dishwasher and we don't use salt over here so I don't think it's that you have a cheap dishwasher, or the salt, sorry not very helpful!

PigletJohn Fri 21-Jun-13 00:23:29

I rather think the salt is leaking out.

Give it an empty wash with no detergent, taste the water during wash and rinse cycles. Is it salty? it shouldn't be.

You may have a fault needing repair.

Thank you. I've used 2 bags of salt so far in around a month. Too much? Some salt does come out when near full....I clear that up with a paper towel then do a rinse cycle whilst empty. I wonder if that's not getting rid of it all?
Top appears to be on tightly, something to check.
I'll go back to instructions to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
As it's all so new I didn't think filters woukd be clogged-especially as I'm so anal about putting clean dishes in blush. Novelty will soon wear off I'm sure.

PolyesterBride Thu 20-Jun-13 21:16:01

Mine did this when salt lid was left off.

PigletJohn Thu 20-Jun-13 21:13:33

polsibly your salt dispenser lid is loose or leaking. How long does a bag of salt last you? There should be no trace of salt in the washing or rinsing water.

not cleaning properly is usually due to clogged filters, and occasionally arms. Clean yours per the maker's instructions.

Modern stainless steel is "economically" made and prone to tiny pits or spots of rust. Surface rust will come of with a green nylon scourer. The pits will stay.

Best kitchen knives are made of a steel which is very hard and not very stainless, so need to be taken out and rubbed immediately the cycle is fibnished.

After years of waiting I'm not loving my dishwasher sad

The marks on the cutlery do come off.

Am I doing something wrong? Salt and rinse aid always added as soon as light comes on. Use finish all in one tabs. I don't tend to empty as soon as cycle is finished.

Doesnt always get plates clean-and I'm at the new stage where I'm rinsing everything before stacking.

It's an ikea integrated-cheapest one they did. That'll teach me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now