DECLUTTER....in 40 days ....care to join me ?

(467 Posts)
spiderbabymum Tue 28-May-13 22:39:38

Have decided the only way I'm ever gonna get organised it to own less ....

I like the look of this

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/8-weeks-to-declutter.pdf

ThreeTomatoes Thu 05-Sep-13 14:15:26

sorry to hear your dd is sick.

I just posted this on the wrong thread! d'oh

I just finished my deep clean of the kitchen, took me just over 2 hours. I understand now why people get a cleaner!! When you have a proper clean you realise how disgusting it's got - did all the kitchen cupboards and doors, the microwave (that was a right state) the oven the floor the white goods...

Did actually chuck a few things -an unused plastic jug, a few expired packs of various foods, a set of plastic spoons & forks, a couple of old unused baking trays and frying pan (gotta buy a new pan today as a result though!). Have finished up 2 bottles of multi surface cleaner (both of which were nearly empty when i started) in the process! Also sorted the cupboards so they're more organised and make more sense now. phew!!

One thing I have a problem with is recipe books. I have several that were presents for either me or dd that i would never get round to using (involving complicated baking & the like), and even old favourites I just don't use any more, i don't tend to use recipes. Yet i just can't bring myself to chuck any. Maybe i should start strict menu planning that i used to do using the recipe books and then they wouldn't feel so much like clutter! And make sweets and truffles and cakes and biscuits & jams with dd every weekend...

Anyway, i also tidied dd's room. DP is having a good old dust & hoover of the whole house. I'm off for a shower & the school run. no rest for the wicked eh.

ThreeTomatoes Thu 05-Sep-13 14:16:23

Copying & pasting has got rid of my smilies sad
There should be a hmm after the bit about baking etc with dd every weekend, also a smile after DP dusting & hoovering.

buildingmycorestrength Thu 05-Sep-13 15:25:01

Three that is sooooo much more than I would have got done even if left alone all day. Amazingly productive. Well done you.

JKSLtd Thu 05-Sep-13 18:27:59

Well done ThreeToms!!

Got rid of huge bag of bras to Oxfam today smile

AFAIK nothing has come into the house, a successful day!

ThreeTomatoes Thu 05-Sep-13 20:44:19

well thank you! I am exhausted actually. went shopping after school with dd, lugged home a new dinner set (so there is now another box of the old one, at least what's left of it, waiting to go to charity!!)

BerylStreep Fri 06-Sep-13 13:18:39

How have I only just found this thread?

Have already printed out the 40 day guidelines, and ready to go!

I felt quite please with myself that I have filled a bag of stuff to go to the charity shop this morning, but a systematic way of going through the entire house? Wowzer!

ZingWantsCake Sun 15-Sep-13 01:57:28

I will start again on Tuesday.

DS5 is in playgroup and the others are back in school, so I'm printing the list off tomorrow (again).

good progress everyone, I've been following this on and off!

JKSLtd Mon 16-Sep-13 12:44:36

I've skipped about the list a bit and been working on the DC clothes - is an ongoing process but I've crossed them off this list for now.
Also got rid of some play balls I had in the shed for years & an old radio.
Plus some more baby clothes out f the attic - girls stuff already gone, boys sorted for mil's refuge.

Lots more to do. I'm meant to be on DC books...

JKSLtd Thu 19-Sep-13 09:01:40

Bag of clothes to cash for clothes people - £5 not bad.
Random blazer button (not ds's) back to sch.
Lots of paper ready for recycling collection tomorrow.

Think I'm stalling on the books!

JKSLtd Mon 30-Sep-13 11:20:42

Right, I had seriously fallen off the wagon, but back on yesterday & today, I have sorted the DC's books!
shock

Have a big bag to give away, put more upstairs for bedtime reading, moved some lower down for DS1 to read to himself.

Also managed to fill a bag of toys to go too - need to do more before Christmas though.

And handed over my maternity clothes to a friend though she is giving most back I think.

More boxes down from loft ready to be sorted when I get a chance. And big bag of girls 4-5 clothes leant out to a friend for her DD.

Can I join please? I'm desperately trying to get the house sorted with a toddler constantly underfoot. I can keep it clean, but am struggling to get anywhere with actually getting organised. The study/spare room is our "chuck it in and shut the door" room. It's not good! I need to sort that out, and the cupboard under the stairs.

I've just put 4 boxes and a coat near the front door ready to take to the charity shop. I've also sorted out DDs drawers and taken out all her clothes that are too small to give to a friend for her new baby.

Tomorrow is another day, right?

JKSLtd Wed 02-Oct-13 21:10:43

Hi Goodjam - how is it going?

I spent some time with paperwork today - we have 4 filing drawers & I've sorted 1. Pile for DH to agree to bin/shred & full recycling bin.
Will aim to tackle the other 3 soon.
Meant to be on grown ups books I think, so need to look at them soon - though I know we went through them recently.

Hi, thanks for asking. I forgot to take the stuff to the charity shop today, so that is still in a heap, but I have a bag that I will be giving to my brother tomorrow, so that's one out the way!
My mum came over today so we've not been in, however, she brought her shaggy dog over so I now have lots of long black hair on my beige carpet!

I need to hoover before I can concentrate on getting anything else done. And I'm busy the next two days so I wont get much done.

On a plus note, my mum and dad have offered to take the toddler off our hands this weekend, so I have many hours to tackle the spare room and getting it looking more like a guest room come office! I am probably a little too excited about that, but just sorting out the moving box of paperwork so it can go into the loft will be something!

How are you, you seem to be making some progress?

JKSLtd Mon 07-Oct-13 20:19:09

I'm doing ok, not on the list as such atm.

Have been working on the loft - the last of the baby boxes are down yey! (i had thought we'd have 4 DC so was keeping everything but we've changed our minds and 3 is enough!).
Have sorted them into boys/girls & girls stuff ready to go to friend for first refusal. Boys ready for MIL's refuge.
Plus a couple of boxes of baby toys down for friend to take if she wants.
Some of it is worth money but that involves delay & me being more organised than I cba to be! grin

Anyway, we were given loads so it's passing on the favour smile

Have also gone through some of my clothes - need to empty my wardrobe & start again I think.

BerylStreep Mon 14-Oct-13 22:26:49

This has fallen off my active threads - marking place, and hoping I will actually get started. I have been telling lots of people about this though!

MegaClutterSlut Tue 15-Oct-13 11:48:31

Haven't been on this thread for ages....I've managed to take 3 black sacks full to the charity shop last week and have been taking pics all morning of stuff to list on facebook so hopefully more stuff will go.

I'm determined to be finished hopefully by christmas november. There is loads of crap that needs to go, hopefully it will be done by then

JKSLtd Wed 16-Oct-13 21:04:03

Had fallen off my threads too.

Have brought lots down from loft - mostly baby stuff which I'm giving away/loaning long-term.
Also my box of sentimental stuff to sort through & minimise into a smaller box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now