Used a Rug Doctor cleaner thing on the sitting room carpet and now it STINKS.

(7 Posts)
derektheladyhamster Tue 07-May-13 13:37:56

our rug stinks after rug doctor. I now make sure that I don't over wet it and it goes outside to dry until the carpet underneath is fully dry

JamieCat Tue 07-May-13 13:36:00

We had this, the carpet smelt so much worse after using rug doctor. I think with ours it took too long to dry as it is a fairly thick carpet and it was the underlay that was damp and stinky.
I rang the rug doctor helpline and they were very good, they investigated the machine and sent out lots of bottles of odour remover for free. So definitely worth giving them a call. It took a week ortwo but eventually the smell went. I'll never use it again though!
Good luck

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sun 05-May-13 22:13:12

Can you sprinkle bicarbonate of soda onto your carpet, leave it for a few hours and hoover it up??

Crikeyblimey Sun 05-May-13 22:11:48

Thanks.

I've had the windows open all day but it still stinks. I've lit smelly candles now and will air again tomorrow.

I doubt it's wet wool - bloody stinky sheep if it is smile

Cravingdairy Sun 05-May-13 22:03:07

Could it just be the smell of wet wool?

e1y1 Sun 05-May-13 22:00:21

It can happen, I've only used rug doctor once, but I have my own carpet washer and used that loads of times, sometimes it stinks and other times it doesn't. Best advice I can give you is air, air and air again. Get as much ventilation as possible. Then when the carpet is bone dust dry (not just bone dry smile) use some shake and vac if you like that sort of stuff.

Crikeyblimey Sun 05-May-13 21:52:54

Please tell me this is just the chemical which will wear off soon. Or have I broken my carpet. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now