Is there such thing as a really subtle plug-in air freshener?

(16 Posts)
ellesabe Sat 04-May-13 23:47:45

One that gives off a nice natural scent and doesn't scream "I'M AN AIR FRESHENER"...

ThenWeTakeBerlin Sat 04-May-13 23:53:35

IMO, no! I find them all toxic hmm I hate all air fresheners, they're full of chemicals.

I use a homemade room spray with natural oils.

Iwantmybed Sat 04-May-13 23:53:54

Only candles I've found. A mum at school reaks of plug in air freshener. Its so strong.

Magicmayhem Sat 04-May-13 23:55:28

yeah, I agree with IWMB, candles are far more subtle,

Signet2012 Sat 04-May-13 23:55:41

Talk to me about natural oil smells please!
My house doesn't have a smell apparently. I would love for if to smell nice but I can't use candles or freshners as it gives me a headache!

Iwantmybed Sun 05-May-13 00:41:25

Hi Sig, tis Ambi in disguise. The oils can also be quite strong but dissipate quickly. I have an oil burner with a tealight under. I rather use incense sticks as it lasts a bit longer.

We have a Muji aroma diffuser, you put essential oil in it. It can be as subtle or as strong as you want.

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 06-May-13 13:26:45

Essential oils on lightbulbs or fabric conditioner on radiators can work (only if they are switched on, of course).

specialsubject Mon 06-May-13 13:28:04

no. There are things called windows. And maybe fresh flowers.

BuggedByJake Mon 06-May-13 13:28:49

The Fired Earth oils are lovely & very natural smelling.

hedwig2001 Mon 06-May-13 13:44:25

Slightly off topic, but at a recent hospital fire lecture, we were told plug in air fresheners are often found to be the cause in house fires. Probably best to avoid.

ThenWeTakeBerlin Thu 09-May-13 17:25:59

Signet2012 Sorry for delay, only just rediscovered this thread! Expat posted this concoction ages ago and I really like it;

8 drops lavender oil, 4 drops rose geranium oil, 2 drops bergamot oil, 1/2 cup vodka, 1/2 cup distilled water.
Put it in a spray bottle.
Spritz where needed.

Signet2012 Thu 09-May-13 20:33:56

Lovely thanks.

I open the windows every day for hours. It's not that the house smells because it doesn't but i would love it to have a nice aroma to it.
I always think other people's houses smell lovely but mine just smells of nothing. sad

buildingmycorestrength Thu 09-May-13 20:36:02

I use those reeds in a jar. Quite nice in a big room.

Geeklover Thu 09-May-13 20:43:47

I use reeds in a jar as well and I use an oil burner with Yankee candle (usually) wax things in them.
Some of the Yankee candle ones are really strong but the wax things for burners aren't expensive and last ages so you can use trial and error.
I've been using them to his the newly decorated paint smell in my house

Ezza1 Fri 10-May-13 11:01:31

Does the vodka have to go in the squirty bottle? <hopeful>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now