Out with the old and in with - NOTHING! Further adventures in minimalism.

(995 Posts)
MrsPennyapple Fri 12-Apr-13 21:34:59

Following on from the Minimalist Journey and Minimalist Quiche threads. The journey continues...

MyPreciousRing Tue 07-May-13 07:13:43

Display it hobnob - remember the slogan 'if it's not useful or beautiful'?

I've cleared another bag of handbags, shoes and jeans

Cleared a cup (tripped, dropped it and broke - does this still count as de-cluttering grin?)

BeCool Tue 07-May-13 09:44:59

hobnob it's the BEST feeling isn't it?
My kitchen got the work over about 6 weeks ago now. And even though the benches do get a tiny bit cluttered at one end if I'm not being very strict, it's so easy to sort out and in a matter of a few minutes, peace, clean and calm is restores.
Bliss!

3 large bags of clothes into the school clothing recycling bank this morning.

Sokmonsta Tue 07-May-13 09:50:20

Brilliant Hobnob. I'd find somewhere for the teapot to display its beauty.

Today's mission is the dc's room again. It seemed to explode sometime last week, books and clothes everywhere. So I've two boxes to fill with stuff to go. Fingers crossed I can get down the bookshelf today so I can actually get rid of the hideous thing and put a smaller one in which will get less cluttered.

Ok, ok, ok, it is ally our fault. Yes I'm definitely blaming you lot. I get at my desk, think I'll just catch up with minimalists before starting work and.... end up feeling so inspired to declutter but I HAVE TO WORK!! Grrrr!

clearsommespace Tue 07-May-13 10:57:26

Find one thing to pop in the ongoing bag/box to satisfy your urge?
Set the timer?

MinimalistMommi Tue 07-May-13 12:51:52

I feel 'stuck' at the moment with decluttering. I'm not sure what to tackle! Really wish BeCool or one of you could cast an eye over my house. We've been in our new house for three months now so really I should be able to move forward with my decluttering!

Someone help me! confused

MinimalistMommi Tue 07-May-13 13:18:22

Maybe we should all scoot over to this thread on the American Mothering site and be unfaithful to Mumsnet simply so we can all post pics of our progress?! We could join this thread www.mothering.com/community/t/762506/post-pics-of-your-clean-clear-space
Or start our own?

<this is only half serious but I do wish we could all post pics of our progress>

Anyway, check out the very long thread bc it's very inspirational!

MinimalistMommi Tue 07-May-13 13:25:53

Some lovely spaces here for inspiration: pinterest.com/benita_larsson/nice-spaces/

MinimalistMommi Tue 07-May-13 13:27:23

....well for anyone who likes white...blush....
And some organising ideas here but it's personally too cluttered for me: pinterest.com/benita_larsson/organizing-ideas/

BeCool Tue 07-May-13 13:40:22

thanks MM will check those out.
We can post pictures to MN now can't we?
I do wish I'd done proper 'before' pictures.

MinimalistMommi Tue 07-May-13 13:47:35

Isn't that just to your profile though BeCool, I wish it were on the actual thread!

BeCool Tue 07-May-13 13:52:26

I think MN have to set up a special topic - S&B has a S&B with pictures version, for example here

MinimalistMommi Tue 07-May-13 14:02:12

Maybe we can ask?

Found a cushion to declutter grin

BeCool Tue 07-May-13 15:15:15

Go arti - I think I have 2 more that can go.

I have tomorrow off work so I'm going to go to IKEA with DD2 and try and work out the system for the living room wall I want to buy. My vision is it will be cupboards, with a charging station, room for CD & DVD storage, tv in the middle somewhere, DVD/freeview wtc below and rest of the wall in a combo of shelves and cupboards so everything will be out of sight. It will make a HUGE difference to our lives.

Friend is coming over tonight to help me measure up the space properly.

I just saw on MM's links above someone using an IKEA plastic bag holder to store wrapping paper - perfect. I know just the place for that. So I will get one of those and a new lampshade for living room to replace the quite dirty/dusty one we have ATM.

(mantra - I will NOT be buying random crapola, I will NOT be buying random crapola, I will NOT be buying random crapola, I will NOT be buying random crapola ..... etc)

clearsommespace Tue 07-May-13 18:32:46

We need a shoe storage device and I have spotted the ideal one at IKEA but I am putting up with shoes scattered around the hall floor until I have got rid of some more stuff as DH loves storage solutions. I don't want him to be able to argue 'we could put x, y and z in it'.

Regarding breaking things, yes it counts as decluttering. (Except when it's DDs egg cup which I will have to replace.) It was because the relevant cupboard was a bit full so I have sorted through. Where do all the plastic storage wander off on holiday? We moved 4 months ago and I didn't have any boxes without lids of vice-versa and I now have 6 lids with no boxes.

wendybird77 Tue 07-May-13 19:35:14

I have that ikea thing with wrapping paper in it too! Ahh, pinterest.

My display cabinet arrived today and I've unpacked the dreaded 'best' crockery in there. It was my grandmothers wedding china and I do love it (simple white with a silver edge). It looks very smart in my black cabinet and I will use it when we entertain, which I intend to do a lot of once we get through this renovation! To atone for my cluttery sins, I decluttered two bags of random stuff including DS2s winter coat. I'm in a good groove of taking things directly to the charity shop once he has outgrown it.

MM I had a look on that Mothering thread and they just seem to post links to flickr or photobucket? Or am I not seeing it properly? We could certainly do that on this thread if we wanted to share couldn't we?

Sokmonsta Tue 07-May-13 19:42:12

Woo hoo! Well. Not quite but achieved today. The blackout curtains which I bought for dc's room when the clocks changed have finally all gone up (I'd got one out of 4 onblush). Box of books removed from dc's room and several money boxes. I figure they only need one each and there were 7 on the shelf. Took the blasted big tub from the garden, a pushchair I want rid of, a rocking unicorn, and two bags of clothes/shoes to storage. Forgot to take bags out of car so need to load up for another trip later this week and remember them this time.

Also spent some time decluttering the garden of weeds as it was a lovely day.

Didn't quite get bookshelf empty but I've only got one shelf to rehome things from and then it will go on freecycle.

takeaway2 Tue 07-May-13 19:44:21

I got home earlier today as dd got sent home early from home for alleged diahhrea. She's fine but I will have to keep her home tomorrow at least. So after dinner I decluttered some toys. Some destined for the car boot pile (getting bigger but our sale is in under two weeks so not much longer) and others for the charity bag. smile

Going to make use of tomorrow and declutter more. Will do some work too but decluttering will be good especially when school is taking the charity bags and the more bags we bring the more money we get for the school! Win win. Might even tackle ironing pile. I'm just going to take tomorrow as a day off and not worry too much.

hobnob57 Tue 07-May-13 21:38:31

<still feeling remarkably unburdened by my clear kitchen corner, I exhale happily when there is space to set things down or prepare food during the day, I feel more in control of things, despite therest of the house remaining as was>

I'm pondering my attitude towards tidiness and organisation. I like it, but I'm also afraid of it. I don't know why. Perhaps I dislike perfectionism and the negative emotions that can generate when perfect isn't possible, so I avoid it and adopt the mantra that a little bit of chaos is always good. But the chaos has been taking over. I am enjoying this organisation and control, but I am afraid of how I will feel when I am back at work and it is harder to maintain or when others in the house don't maintain it too. Minimalism makes it easier by having less stuff to worry about I suppose. But for some reason there is something stopping me being a totally clear surfaces everything in its place kind of person. I wonder why.

alarkthatcouldpray Tue 07-May-13 21:52:42

I have been getting 'Ahhh' moments when I walk into a room and see a corner or piece of skirting board which was previously covered by something sitting there!

Unfortunately I have undone some of my good work in our bedroom by bringing the loft contents down for assessment. It looks like a jumble sale. On the plus side, managed another 4 bags children's clothes to the chazzer and posted off my eBay sale (bottle warmer). Also did a strip wash on my washable nappies as these apparently do quite well on eBay. I tumble dried them a bit then hung them out and they're very fluffy and mostly fresh smelling. A couple needs a second wash through. Will hopefully start bundling them up and taking photos over the next couple of days. Have another few items to list. Fingers crossed my pram will get collected this week.

Already I am finding it easier to keep the house clean and tidy. And I can feel the decluttering mantras seeping into other areas of my life such as food shopping. I am trying to simplify my menus and meal plans. I am also being more realistic on what I can accomplish in a day and not pushing myself to do things for the sake of them. Today I was considering taking DCs to the park but DD1 came out of nursery grumpy and tired. I would sometimes have bulled on with my plan but today I had a 'less is more' head on and we just went home and chilled out in the garden. It was the right decision. Anyone else finding their thinking is changing regarding other aspects of their lives?

Lizard thank you for the links. Loved the Everyday Minimalist, this is very much the type of minimalism to which I aspire.

Great to hear of everyone's progress. Am loving this thread so much!

alarkthatcouldpray Tue 07-May-13 22:01:01

hobnob to me that sounds like a healthy balance. We never have complete control over every aspect of our lives so constantly practising some tolerance of chaos and imperfection is a good thing IMO . It means if we have to face something which is completely out of our control we have some resources to draw upon. Any of us with OCD tendencies will recognise that the best way of keeping these in check to force an acceptance of some mess and untidiness. While perfection is a noble aspiration in theory, in reality it can be the road to obsession, dissatisfaction, exhaustion and misery. A bit like parenting, good enough is good enough!

MyPreciousRing Tue 07-May-13 22:15:45

Everyone is doing so well!

This thread has been so helpful. I'm still just chipping away with fly-lady and a little de-cluttering; throw at least one thing away every single day.

Tonight I've been on old paperwork again. (Seems never ending) Does anybody know what to do with old car paperwork etc? I have paperwork from car I bought in 2009 and traded in late 2011. Do I bin this or should I be keeping it for some reason?

I can throw 'sentimental' items away much more easily than I used to but I really struggle with paperwork - terrified that will throw away something important but terrified at same time of piles and piles of paper which we keep for years which serve NO purpose other than to take up valuable space...

BoffinMum Wed 08-May-13 00:22:40

Just popping in to say my Austerity Housekeeping book is free for 48 hours from lunchtime 8th May, for the people who missed it last time! grin

LimeLeaffLizard Wed 08-May-13 09:25:56

MyPrecious, I think you can probably get rid of the car paperwork, seeing as you sold that car two years ago. Maybe shred anything with your personal data on it?

I am weak with paperwork too. It is the job I put off doing because it is so boring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now