How much washing powder?

(20 Posts)
iZombie Sun 14-Apr-13 19:48:05

I use a half dose of fabric softener too. I am a skinflintgrin

iZombie Sun 14-Apr-13 19:47:43

I bought a wash powder tin thing from Tesco moons ago, and it comes with a scoop. I use one for a normal wash, two for a beastly one and it's all good. Scoop is small and I live in a hard water areasmile

fussychica Sat 13-Apr-13 17:26:27

I use tablets and usually use one per wash (think the guide is 2) plus some soda crystals. Everything is always clean and smells good. I live in a hard water area.

MousyMouse Fri 12-Apr-13 22:42:08

I measured it today. I use around 60ml.
box says 270ml for a full dirty 7kg load.
so I really use much less.
ah well, clothes get clean and smell nice and I save some money...

BertieBotts Wed 10-Apr-13 08:57:10

I use around 140ml but I like my clothes to smell of washing powder - I found if you use less they do still get clean but they won't smell nice.

MintyyAeroEgg Tue 09-Apr-13 22:51:25

I used a very generous full scoop in the official measuring jug thingy and have a 6kg machine in a hard water area. My washing is always lovely <preens>.

RunningAgain Tue 09-Apr-13 22:48:04

I also use a lot less than recommended, just chuck a bit in, don't even measure it accurately anymore and clothes are clean and don't smell

smaths Tue 09-Apr-13 21:13:23

I use half of what the box tells me to. seems to wash just fine!

DeepRedBetty Tue 09-Apr-13 21:06:39

I use half the recommended dose.

I really can't imagine that Persil solemnly make different types of powder for different parts of the country...

And half a dishwasher tablet gives just as good results as a whole one too.

This is a hard water area btw.

MousyMouse Tue 09-Apr-13 21:02:53

I use about a third of the recommended dose.
hard water area, 7kg drum.
if things are really dirty I put the same amount of soda crystals into the drum.
I put the powder directly into the drum, no more manky drawer!

napkin Tue 09-Apr-13 20:57:41

I know the box states how much to use it's just everyone says they use less so was just wondering how much less everyone uses?smile

the box gives a table with amounts to use if you have soft/medium/hard water and depending how dirty the clothes are. I don't think they have different powders for different areas.

PigletJohn Tue 09-Apr-13 20:35:31

if you live in a hard water area, the blend of Persil that the shops stock is one modified for hard water. Most people use too much powder.

I believe it is possible to tell from codes on the box, but I don't know how.

You can also add a little washing soda, which will help.

Don't waste your money on Calgon.

I use around 90 (using the measuring jug thing that you can get sent to you free) and have soft water and a 6kg machine

littone Tue 09-Apr-13 17:04:58

I use persil and use the persil measuring jug, use 40 (sorry not sure of the unit!) which is far less then persil tell,you to use. I would start with the recommended or what you use now and gradually reduce and stop when you notice the difference.

although when I use the ariel one it tells me to use double what I actually use!

what does it say on the guide on the box? Hard water tends to need more powder than soft water. Soda crystals can also help soften the water - put it in the drawer with the powder

napkin Tue 09-Apr-13 13:00:41

Was wondering how much washing powder to use in a hard water area? Have read that people use less than is recommended but how much roughly should i be using in a 6kg machine? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now