FLYing through April: Fledglings Spring into Action

(605 Posts)
GoingGoingGoth Sun 31-Mar-13 17:38:37

Welcome to the April Fledgling FLYers thread

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site is here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on.

Thanks to SC, Blue & Silvery for leading us through since January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted.

CHBitchy Thu 18-Apr-13 21:21:02

<wanders in, curls up in nest thoughtfully left by SC> Thanks much appreciated! <falls asleep>

GoingGoingGoth Thu 18-Apr-13 21:40:55

SC spent the morning in the naughty corner hiding away from teenagers/daughters, which is quite understandable. DD is also away with the fairies most every morning.

Bitchy has a sinus infection-yuck. Hope you feel better soon. And her highlight today was assisting with DS's homework! grin

Jdub has had a busy day, despite a late start.

feet hope Guides went well and the timings went well.

LPlateFlyer is all clear after the dreaded 48 he's after DSs stomach bugs.

Blue is from the Book Fair and will hopefully get some work will from it

Silvery produced another impressive list, even if she did forget to rinse out her hair conditioner whilst in the shower.

LPlateFlyer Thu 18-Apr-13 22:37:08

Thanks for the welcome Bitchy and SC.

I've been struggling going back to work. Tis hard when you aren't actually earning money.... We'll sign a contract soon and all will be good. (It's my new mantra...wink) Meanwhile I need to buy some Sage software. (Now why do I have the Abba song 'Money, Money, Money' on constant repeat in my head hmm)

My ankle is a lot better after my spectacular tumble down the stairs in December. Physio is finished, thank goodness. She bloomin well hurt. angry Still sore and swollen, it still can't take all that much, sadly. Ah well, they said it would take the better part of a year to get to a decent stage of improvement.

Tada
2 x loads of wash
15 minutes in kitchen
15 minutes in dining room
Put away all clean clothing (at least 4 loads blush)
tidy dining table
declutter lounge floor of toys
sweep lounge floor
wrap DH's birthday present
bake cake for DH's birthday.
4 x loads through dishwasher

Now I'm off for a bath, DH very sweetly filled it up for me while I did some work on the computer.

CHBitchy Fri 19-Apr-13 08:15:46

today I will either be residing in the naughty corner or drinking too much coffee. I haven't decided which yet. Ds got diary of a wimpy kid the other day. Getting him to do anything other then read is hard work. I am glad that he enjoys reading but getting his nose out of the book to eat / put clothes on is kinda important on school day. <sigh>

Jdub Fri 19-Apr-13 11:02:18

Hi everyone,
Can't believe Friday is here already...I always like the optimistic hope that I'll get loads done on a Friday evening, leaving the weekend abit free-er! Here's hoping!
done
slow cooker on
d/w on (please OH, unload it when it's done!)
washing away
all up, fed and out (on time-ish)

to do this wknd
meal plan
filing
hoover
floor wash
dust
drawer sort
clothes clear out
washing (lots)
change our bed
sew on swimming patches
carry on reading my new book

Have a lovely day and a great wknd x

superfluouscurves Fri 19-Apr-13 12:14:43

I know what you mean Jdub I always have the feeling I will do more in the week and then the w/e arrives in the blink of an eye. And I always delude myself I will get more done in the holidays ... and then I don't ... and then I delude myself I will get more done in term time .... and ditto. You'd have thought I'd have learnt by now ...blush Am impressed by your slow cooking (v organised)

Too right Goth dd is a 9 yr old going on 15!! She was such an easy baby too ..[sighs nostalgically]

Hope your ds could be prised away from his book this morning Bitchy and that you can recover a bit more today

Sorry work is a struggle at the moment Lplate but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. Good news about your leg too. You have been through the mill recently.

I can imagine Blue trade shows always completely exhausting

Encouraging wing flaps to one and all.

Warning: the most boring paragraph ever written follows:
I've got to work for the rest of the day (admin) but I have been trying to put the boudoir back to rights this morning as a few piles of clothes and stepladders confused and suitcases have landed where they shouldn't. Have also been on the 'great grey school sock hunt' - dd has recently switched from tights to socks but all her socks from last year seem to have disappeared. Fish for supper. That was scintillating wasn't it?

HAve a good w/e everyone.

ToffeeWhirl Fri 19-Apr-13 14:50:13

Today's list has been devoted to kitten prep grin. We are going away for the weekend and collecting our new kitten on Sunday [excited emoticon].

Hope you all have a good weekend.

SilveryMoon Fri 19-Apr-13 20:00:56

Evening.
Not much done here today, usual morning routine, work etc.
I have done the food shop for next week, but nothing other than that.
Have 3 mission/detail sessions to catch up on, not sure that'll happen either.
the good news is, I have wine so camping out in the naughty corner where I won't see a dirty kitchen floor, a huge pile of ironing, an un-shiny sink or the general shit littering up my flat.
<cheers>

GoingGoingGoth Fri 19-Apr-13 21:00:03

Evening all, just back from a lovely meal with the family at the local hotel, it was such a lovely evening, we went for a walk round the park afterwards, DD was charging round like a lunatic. I feel absolutely stuffed now, but thought I better pop in before doing the ironing. Off across to Fife tomorrow to visit my Gran. It will be the first time she's seen DD blush but to be honest they've had such bad weather over there since we came up.

LPlate so pleased your ankle is improving, just take it slow and steady, you don't want to overdo it and set yourself back.

Bitchy has a compulsive reader in DS, know that feeling, we are having to visit the library about 2 a week at the moment,and I am sick of saying 'put the book down you need to...get dressed/washed/eat/go to bed.

Jdub hope your Friday evening was productive and that you get a fun weekend.

SC is trying to bore us, but doesn't realise that we are so very interested stalkers in her life

Toffee collects a new kitchen on Sunday <squeals>

Silver has been sticking to her routines, I'm sure it won't matter missing the routines occasionally, sometime life just gets in the way (that's my excuse anyway)

GoingGoingGoth Fri 19-Apr-13 21:08:18

LINKS FOR SATURDAY 20TH APRIL

Babystep 20 is to laundry in your morning and evening routines. I try to wash a load in the evening (or set it up to go 1st thing) ready to be hung out in the morning. And then iron in the evening, so the clothes can then 'air' overnight, ready to be folded and put away the next morning.

No Mission as the Daily focus is Family Fun Day

Flight plan for our routines, should update automatically

Evening all. Have been flat out with work all day and then stupidly took on another urgent job for one of my favourite clients, which will take out most of tomorrow too. House going to chaos in a handcart but CBA - flying fail!

Toffee - glad you've found a pet you can all agree on.

Going - hope you have a lovely day tomorrow.

Big waves to all.

LPlateFlyer Sat 20-Apr-13 07:59:52

Toffee - ooh, a new kitten! grin So much fun! What will he/she look like <curious cat over here!!!>

I so want to get a pair of kittens, but feel we need to wait until the house is a little bit more decorated. Now that the weather is warming up we can do more decorating as we can work in a 'well ventilated room'. hmm (Try working in a well ventilated room over this last winter!!!)

I did absolutely the bare minimum yesterday, as in London all day.

3x loads of washing (still sitting out though)
Dishwasher loaded and unloaded
Dinner for everyone purchased on the way home (yummm, Wasabi...)
Out for a mum's night out with other school mums.

Now lying in my bed a little bored. Not allowed to get up as all the 'boys' have gone downstairs to make me a cup of tea and will come and wake me up for my birthday. A good plan except that I always wake up before all of them - so I stashed my laptop by the side of my bed to give me something to look at while I waited for everyone else to stir.

Tado:
Be spoilt rotten grin

CHBitchy Sat 20-Apr-13 10:54:24

happy birthday LPlate!

ta da
coffee cake in oven
stuff...

drinking a lot of coffee today. it's a long story...

Castlelough Sat 20-Apr-13 11:25:20

Morning!
Sorry for my absence for most of the week blush. Very poor effort.

<am glad I am leading the thread for May, as I need a kick up the behind blush>

Worked til late last night for DH (pub) so am just thinking of crawling out of bed now blush.

To Do:
*Breakfast
*Feed horses (I am late blush but they were moved to a new 5 acre field yesterday and aren't going hungry!)
*Clean/tidy kitchen (chaos reigns)
*Reboot laundry
*Get car checked (strange sloshing noise since I drove through a flood multiple times and repeat MOT on Monday...)
*Go to town - retail therapy smile. Birthday money from my parents and a voucher from my sisters is burning a hold in my pockets!

Hopefully I'll be back with a decent ta/da list for a change !

Castlelough Sat 20-Apr-13 11:27:27

Ps Happy Birthday LPlate xx

SilveryMoon Sat 20-Apr-13 13:08:51

Happy birthday Lplate
The national Trust are having a free entry day today so we are at osterley house. Just having lunch in the gardens before I try to take the boys back in. They were not impressed.
Lovely day though

Ellietryingtofly Sat 20-Apr-13 17:19:04

Ok so have spent a significant amount of time sleeping in the naughty corner this week.... DP has announced he's coming home with his friend and his friends daughter to play with DD so lots of panic tidying! Dreaming about a company ready house.....

Well I decided to tackle my house like a pro... I now in the bath! Decided I could make myself look presentable and then worry about the house grin xXx

superfluouscurves Sat 20-Apr-13 17:19:40

Many happy returns Lplate wine thanks [rowdy singing] Hope you have a lovely day!

Aw at kitten Toffee

Lovely day for horse care and maintenance Castle envy Please direct kick up backside in this direction!

[snaffles piece of Bitchys coffee cake]

Gardens sound lovely Silvery

Hope you are having a lovely day with your gran Goth

Waves to Blue and everyone else

Hope you are OK Just if you happen to be lurking (although you are probably too busy for that)

So far racing from Ayr (Scottish Grand National today) has superseded any Flying blush Sadly, Aurora's Encore couldn't do the double (only Red Rum has managed that I think)

Last week was so stressful (school dd related) that I made very little progress in the house (or with the diet and exercise) and I have just given myself a horrible fright by studying calendar (knew there was a subconcious reason why I didn't want to do this) - just realised that we have friends coming to visit in two weeks not three as I had thought- oh gaawd. And next weekend is backed tight.

It's one step forward, three steps back atm!

[SC clambers up nearest hill to viewing point, dog-whistle at the ready, desperately seeking lost mo-jo]

superfluouscurves Sat 20-Apr-13 17:22:53

x posts Ellietryingtofly Speaking as someone who has to reposition bags of dry concrete before guests arrive and cordon off dangerous holes in the floor - you have my full sympathy!!

[Falls in to reverie and repeats mantra "a company ready house" "a company ready house" "a company ready house" - aaahhhhhhh]

Castlelough Sat 20-Apr-13 17:47:35

Argh! Everything I touch seems to break this weather....sitting in town, in car, which has decided to break. Grrrrrrr.

Had made a happy purchase of a very lovely dress with the bday money and some sportswear to motivate me to get rid of my jelly belly so that I can actually look nice in said dress...

Now I'm waiting for DH and a tow truck sad.

sadsadsad

superfluouscurves Sat 20-Apr-13 19:52:21

Oh no Castle Hope you get home soon!

At least now you're not driving any longer ... you can have some wine wine wine or three

superfluouscurves Sat 20-Apr-13 19:52:53

Oh dear ... hic ... that was three

...or four then ... hic wine

Castlelough Sat 20-Apr-13 21:26:36

Finally got home, house is in the chaos I left it in sad.
Am ignoring the three types of unopened oven cleaner I unearthed in the cupboard before I went out. Am stuck here now tomorrow, carless, so should manage some flying...
<pours out a glass of wine and joins SC in the naughty corner grin>

GoingGoingGoth Sat 20-Apr-13 21:59:53

LPlate Happy Birthday to youuuuuu! <warbles> Hope you had a good day.

Blue did the urgent work go ok?

Bitchy mmm coffee cake, that's definately on my to do list now.

Castle planned spending her Birthday money, always fun, and got a lovely dress, on the down side the car broke own sad Hope you got one ok.

Silvery had a lovely day at osterley house. DCs never seem to appreciate national trust

EllieTTF had a short notice guests arriving.

SC has been following the Scottish Grand National today, which sounds like a well deserved break with the busy week you've had and have planned! Probably why you are loosing count of the wine

I am shattered after today, but was good to see my Gran, Dd really took to her and it was good to catch up. However I am exhausted. Have to go into work tomorrow for some training, so DD is spending the day with the parents.

GoingGoingGoth Sat 20-Apr-13 22:04:41

LINKS FOR SUNDAY 21ST APRIL

Babystep 21 is to read the Ask FlyLady page

No Mission as the Daily focus is Renew you spirit day.

Flight plan for our routines, should update automatically

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now