Le Creuset - worth it?

(82 Posts)
escape Mon 25-Mar-13 12:03:52

Just wondering if there are any die hard fans or is it a case of style over substance before I invest?
TIA

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Mar-13 19:24:05

And I'm using my 26cm shallow pan right now.

plannedshock Mon 25-Mar-13 19:30:03

Sold my whole pan set-just too heavy when full! Wimpy wrists but the casserole dishes and griddle pan ate fab!!

TomArchersSausage Mon 25-Mar-13 19:34:32

I cant see the appeal of it; it's all so blimmin heavy.

fieldfare Mon 25-Mar-13 19:49:39

I've got one huge cauldron type pot. I love it and it's my most used pan.

smaths Mon 25-Mar-13 19:49:42

the stoneware is pretty average and breaks quite easily, but the cast iron stuff is FAB

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Mar-13 19:50:17

To cook with. Not as an offensive weapon.

NewBlueShoes Mon 25-Mar-13 20:01:24

Love them. We have saucepans, serving dishes and a big casserole dish.
Make sure you get a standard colour such as black or red. I chose a sage green which has been discontinued.
If you can try and buy from an outlet shop such as Gloucester because they are much cheaper.

Ponders Mon 25-Mar-13 20:11:22

nah, doesn't matter what colour you get. mixed colours are fine.

(I have to say that because mine are a) bright yellow & b) "hazelnut" ie mid brown grin)

FlatCapAndAWhippet Tue 26-Mar-13 07:02:26

I have a couple of old LC pans, they'll out live me for sure. I've also got the Sainsburys version of the LC casserole pot which is equally as good and was £20 in one of their promotions (which I think is currently running).

andadietcoke Tue 26-Mar-13 07:11:09

I'm undecided. We replaced a set of KitchenAid pans in the summer when we got an induction hob for an entire set of Le Creuset - pans, casseroles, wok, griddle etc. I struggle with the frying pan especially and have ended up buying a non stick one. I think the problem's not being used to induction rather than LC - not sure whether I should be letting the pans warm up more gradually.

We got the vast majority of ours from Cheshire Oaks with the 10% off card you get from the customer service desk, and some from Harts of Stur online.

Mondrian Tue 26-Mar-13 07:17:07

Seen an on-line offer for 3 piece Chasseur set in lettuce green for £140 which seemed like a good bargain. We have only ever used half our 9 piece LC set.

weegiemum Tue 26-Mar-13 07:22:41

We got a 6-piece LC set as a wedding present. A frying pan, 2 casseroles, 3 pots. That was 18 years ago and apart from when we're on holiday, I've used them every single day!! Cook great (I've always used gas), clean easy, go in dishwasher, transfer beautifully to table (mine are all Volcanic red).

Only gripe is that now I've got a disability that affects my hand feeling/grip/strength I find the frying pan hard to use sometimes - it's very heavy. Still make the effort with the others though! I miss them when I'm cooking in a holiday home/at parents or inlaws house!

Thistledew Tue 26-Mar-13 07:34:21

I have several Le Cruset and one Chasseur. The enamel on the Chasseur has chipped in one small patch on the bottom.

Pollaidh Tue 26-Mar-13 20:06:11

Very good, but very heavy. I can't lift the large casserole dish once it's full!

The griddle pan is very good, large casserole dishes very good, as well as the casserole dish with a water bath at the top, which keeps the contents moist, not sure how it works but husband is convinced. I wouldn't bother with the brand for oven dishes, ramekins etc, as there's nothing special about those.

This is probably obvious blush but if you burn something on it, soak it. Definitely don't use a metal scouring pad. That will wreck it. If you avoid scouring pad mishaps then they should last decades.

papalazaru Wed 27-Mar-13 20:27:48

I love mine. I have 3 of the real thing and one knock off. It's true they are super heavy when full but nothing beats them for even-ness of cooking. and to be honest I can't tell any difference between the L.C. and the knockoff.
I agree about the ovenware though- quite a few of mine are cracked. But I still use them.

lisamcd1979 Mon 09-Dec-13 22:18:14

We bought our stainless steel set from cheshire oaks outlet. Lifetime guarantee and they will price match anything you find cheaper. I love mine. They have a handy measurement guide inside the pan.

Volume121 Mon 09-Dec-13 22:30:51

There's loads of Le Cruset in TK Maxx at the moment

OpalTourmaline Mon 09-Dec-13 22:32:49

So in conclusion, they last well but you need to be Geoff Capes to lift them

higgle Tue 10-Dec-13 14:57:57

I had a big casserole for wedding present 29 years ago and a small one for my 21st - 36 years ago. I used both of them at least once a week but this year they were starting to stick a bit and the insides had gone from being glossy to dull. I've replaced them with Sainsbury's this time around as didn't want to spend so much and the Sainsbury's ones were on special offer. I don't suppose I need anything that will last until I am 94 - won't have the strength to lift them if I'm still around by then!

JRmumma Tue 10-Dec-13 15:06:11

Yes, yes and yes! Sooo good i cook everything in my le creuset pot. Love that it goes on hob and in oven, cooks evenly and keeps food warm for ages.

BrownSauceSandwich Tue 10-Dec-13 20:09:00

I have a few (more than I use), and I really like them for slow cooking, but I wouldn't have them as my only pans. Also have a couple of chasseur (yep, I'm acquisitive), which I'd say are just as good, and were cheaper, but are slightly less pretty.

You can't put any of them in the dishwasher if you want the finish to stay glossy.

coffeeinbed Tue 10-Dec-13 20:13:18

I've been drooling over a Staub casserole.

greyvix Tue 10-Dec-13 21:00:28

I love mine, particularly the large casserole dish. The bottom is pitted though, where DH burnt it. They are meant to have a lifetime guarantee, but I wouldn't know where to take it now. It's 30 years old.

Yankeecandlequeen Fri 13-Dec-13 16:47:22

I have a Pyrex one I got with the Tesco stamps. Works really well & a fraction of the price with the stamps.

I love mine, my friends mum gave me hers when moved house and didn't have space for them anymore - they are at least 35years old.

A good tip for getting ridding of staining on the inside is to use a couple of scoops of bio washing powder, add hot water and simmer for a few hours. Then leave to sit on top of your stove for as long as you can face (I usually forget it and leave it for a day or so) and they come up beautifully.

Had to do this after I had an incident with a pan of burnt damson chutney, it got rid of the purple stains and, eventually, the horrendous burnt mess on the inside.

I wasn't prepared to give up lightly when it came to my Le Creuset!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now