Does anyone hate their washing machine?

(47 Posts)
napkin Mon 11-Mar-13 21:30:33

I have had enough of my washing machine! I find modern machines don't use enough water and have longer wash times what causes more friction and wears clothes out quicker. Does anyone else find this happening?

e1y1 Mon 11-Mar-13 22:07:12

In general, no I don't hate it. But I have hated it at times, the one thing I hate hate hate is the out of balance load protection where it refuses to spin a load that the machine thinks is even slightly out of balance, mine is really over zealous.

You're right about the lack of water in new machines, the drive for green energy credentials is driving water use down to ridiculous amounts, also losing the function of being able to rinse in hot water (not eco i know, but better) if you're in the market for a new one look for a feature called "aqua plus" or similar as this will allow the use of more water. I assume also the washes are longer as they are never in much water at anyone time.

Thought I would throw my two penneth in smile

bigbadbarry Mon 11-Mar-13 22:08:50

I quite like my washing machine but I really hate my dishwasher <unhelpful>

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 11-Mar-13 22:10:58

I hate my washing machine as it leaks, & leaves marks on clothes, and has difficult to understand controls and has a fit if I press a button too quickly. I dream of a new machine smile

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 11-Mar-13 22:11:27

I don't hate mine but I did LOVE my sisters when we were staying with her in the states.
managed to get such a huge load in each time i am sure I would have to do one darks and one lights load a week rather than each day!!

Bonsoir Mon 11-Mar-13 22:11:57

I love my washing machine! It's a Siemens, as are my tumble dryer, dishwasher and fridge-freezer...

KikkiK Mon 11-Mar-13 22:13:07

Yes! I hate mine because it makes things faded and/or bobbly. It's not modern though so I don't know why it does this.
I live in a rented flat so it is not technically my washing machine, and luckily I will leave it behind soon. I wonder if I could ask to do a test wash when I am viewing flats? grin

mrsshackleton Tue 12-Mar-13 11:41:40

This is like a support group. I hate mine because it no longer will dispense fabric conditioner but that doesn't seem a good enough reason to chuck the whole thing out and buy a new one.

napkin Tue 12-Mar-13 14:23:59

I wish I could find a good one! Wondering if there are any modern ones out there with good amounts of water used and fast wash times. If anyone has one like this please let me know. grin Kiki yours may just need a hot wash with no clothes added to get rid of left over residue in the machine. What machine do you own e1y1?

drjohnsonscat Tue 12-Mar-13 14:26:53

Yes I hate mine. It's a Siemens, two years old and clothes don't come out clean. Clean clothes is top of my list of things a washing machine should do and it doesn't. I'm sure it's very environmentally friendly though.

I love my dishwasher though. I deliberately chose one with a special "sod the environment" button for those days when you need to get through a load in less than three hours and forty five minutes grin.

To compensate for my non-greenness I don't have a tumble dryer so feel I get some points back that way.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Tue 12-Mar-13 14:29:06

I hate my washing machine. It leaks and doesn't wash clothes properly. It is at least quick about it.

my dishwasher is worse, as it's broken angry

Whydobabiescry Tue 12-Mar-13 14:30:08

I love my washing machine it's efficient quiet and easy to use grin

GinAndSlimlinePlease Tue 12-Mar-13 14:48:28

Can those of you with lovely washing machines share the make and model please? !

Bonsoir Tue 12-Mar-13 15:07:51

drjohnsonscat - what laundry detergent do you use and what temperature do you wash at?

nannyl Tue 12-Mar-13 15:20:30

i hated my old machine

(cant remember what it was)

imgaine my devestation when it broke and couldnt be fixed and i could get a brand new one of my choice wink grin

this was after it had torn holes in some of my (favourite) clothes and shreaded a brand new towel

napkin Tue 12-Mar-13 15:28:43

Bonsoir i wash at 30 and 40 and use persil non-bio, bio seems more harsh on clothes, so does hotter temps! sad I agree GinAndSlimlinePlease i wan't people with good makes to share too!!

Bonsoir Tue 12-Mar-13 15:56:46

I love my Siemens machine (it's old - about 8 years) but I use Ariel liquitabs and lots of Vanish or Dr Beckmann on stains, and wash at 40°/60° for clothes and 90° for sheets and towels.

bigbadbarry Tue 12-Mar-13 16:44:44

Mine is a Miele and it is fab and super quiet.

beachyhead Tue 12-Mar-13 16:56:21

Mine is a Miele and I love it... Only do 30 minute quick washes with bio liquid, and all seems clean to me...

PeneloPeePitstop Tue 12-Mar-13 17:03:19

Didn't like my Indesit but quite happy with my hotpoint.

Jins Tue 12-Mar-13 17:08:05

8kg load beko here and I've had it about two and a half years. Plenty of water swilling round and a quick wash at 30 is 39 minutes long.

The best bit was that it was under £200 delivered grin

fussychica Tue 12-Mar-13 17:44:30

I love mine - it's AEG 1200 spin with variable everything. Quick wash 20 mins at 30 or standard washes on 40 - choose time 50 mins/75 mins/90mins depending on dirtiness of clothes - less at 50 degrees. The combinations are endless!

I always use powder tablets (half the recommended dose) as I hate liquitabs plus colour safe powder for darks.

LadyAlex Tue 12-Mar-13 18:46:29

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miele-4446-White-Washing-Machine/dp/B000I0RES8

We have this Miele and its fab. I love, love, love it. We have had it for about 5 years and it is just faultless.... in the event of a fault it comes with a 10yr parts and labour guarantee.

I only wash at weekends rarely midweek because hubbi works away. It washes the clothes brilliantly and it weighs the load and tells you how much powder to use so it is good for saving money.

We used washable nappies with DS1 and are about to use them again for DC2. the washer has a hygiene wash setting for nappies and towels etc.
It weighs an absolute tonne and all the door fixings etc are heavy guage metal.

We loved it so much, we bought a miele dryer too a couple of years later. They are more expensive that your average high st washer but they make an item of quality and standard then price it accordingly, not make and item to a budget to maximise the profit margin!

DTisMYdoctor Tue 12-Mar-13 20:26:24

We've recently bought a new Miele washing machine and it's fab. I wash most things at 30 (non-bio, always reduce the powder recommended on the box) and there's a short wash option on all cycles. It recalculated the wash time based on how heavy the load is too. It was expensive but I'm hopeful it will last longer than a lot of washing machines! It's a W3204 - we bought it from co-op electricals but John Lewis had it too.

napkin Tue 12-Mar-13 21:16:52

I so wish i could buy a Miele! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now