Are solid wood worktops easier to care for/bett than laminate worktops?

(32 Posts)
Sunflower6 Sun 03-Feb-13 16:00:00

I need a new kitchen worktop. I've always lived in houses with laminate worktops. I fancy a beech worktop would a solid wood wood top be better than a laminate?

Are solid wood worktops easy to care for?do they mark easily?

ceres Mon 04-Feb-13 21:40:46

cerealqueen - we have oak worktops which were originally oiled with linseed oil. we re-oiled them with linseed a few times, they were ok but never looked as good as when first installed; they went quite patchy.

we then tried danish oil but had pretty much the same problems. plus it turned the oak a horrible orange colour.

from googling i heard about osmo polyx hard wax oil. it is pricey but it has tranformed our worktops. i know i have seen others on here reccommend it also.

we sanded them back to get rid of the old oil finish and then gave then three coats of hard wax oil in a matt finish (also comes in satin). so easy to use in comparison to linseed or danish and gives a much nicer finish, no more orange oak!

we haven't had to re-coat yet but, according to the instructions, you don't have to sand before re-applying. it also says you can apply just to areas where it is needed so ideal if you find you have problems around the sink - just whack on an extra coat as needed. it is used for flooring so really durable.

hth.

cerealqueen Mon 04-Feb-13 20:44:22

Hard wax, tell us more ceres!

ceres Mon 04-Feb-13 15:48:43

wood here, looks great and easy peasy to look after. no stains/black marks at all.

best thing to use is a hard wax oil NOT linseed or danish. we use osmo but fiddes is meant to be good too.

cerealqueen Mon 04-Feb-13 15:14:15

No, don't do it!!! hey looked beautiful when first put in with about six coats of oils. They mark easily, have to be oiled very regularly and this means worktop out of use. Nightmare round the sink area, just looks awful.

We have them, biggest regret, but could not have laminate with butler sink. I'm considering getting them tiled over, it can be done but no budget at the moment.

DewDr0p Mon 04-Feb-13 15:06:43

I wouldn't go for wood either. But we did get a very nice posh squared off laminate from Alno kitchens which was ace. Not very laminate-looking at all.

My kitchen table has a granite top and it appears to be indestructible (touch wood! grin ) They do look lovely if you can afford it.

Queenie72 Mon 04-Feb-13 12:18:06

We have wooden surfaces , look lovely but are
a total nightmare for stains and marks. My hubby is constantly noticing new stains oooops!!

sazpops Mon 04-Feb-13 12:15:20

Ooh, looks like I'm in a minority, but I loved the wood worktops in my last kitchen. Didn't have it by the sink though, just on the island unit (where I did all my food prep) and over the cupboards. I always used a trivet for hot pots and pans, but no other special care. I rubbed mine down and oiled it whenever it got too yukky looking - probably every 6 months on the island and once a year on the rest. By the time we left that house (kitchen about 6 years old), it had a few marks and scratches, but that added to the character IMO. Can't wait to do the kitchen in this house and am planning wood again.

sazpops Mon 04-Feb-13 12:14:08

Ooh, looks like I'm in a minority, but I loved the wood worktops in my last kitchen. Didn't have it by the sink though, just on the island unit (where I did all my food prep) and over the cupboards. I always used a trivet for hot pots and pans, but no other special care. I rubbed mine down and oiled it whenever it got too yukky looking - probably every 6 months on the island and once a year on the rest. By the time we left that house (kitchen about 6 years old), it had a few marks and scratches, but that added to the character IMO. Can't wait to do the kitchen in this house and am planning wood again.

EldonAve Mon 04-Feb-13 11:49:08

wood are a pain

HeyHoHereWeGo Mon 04-Feb-13 11:45:22

Ok, well maybe it takes a bit of effort, but I do like to clean down the counter top so maybe I dont notice I do it.
And I hate ironing, my children are as crumpled as my sheets so thats were I'm useless...

Should I complain my DH even leave weetabix in the sink after breakfast? So when I get home after work, I get crusted weetabix to scrub?

Wipe up after yourself. It doesn't have to be straight away, just after meals etc and Rub the sandpaper over the stain ... Wipe ... Rub olive oil and HOW USELESS DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NOT BE ABLE TO DO THE ABOVE

All I have to say is you are more of a domestic goddess than me. I really can't do all the above. It's just the same when others tell me they iron all their bedclothes and their baby's vests and babygros. I don't do any ironing. I'm that useless.

HeyHoHereWeGo Mon 04-Feb-13 11:18:38

THIS IS HOW TO CARE FOR WOOD

Be generally, you know, clean ish.
Wipe up after yourself. It doesn't have to be straight away, just after meals etc
Stains do occur - this is what you do:
Get ordinary sandpaper
Rub the sandpaper over the stain for a few minutes
Wipe off the area with a damp j cloth
Rub olive oil on with the j cloth

HOW USELESS DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NOT BE ABLE TO DO THE ABOVE AND INSTEAD STARE AT YOUR STAINS FOR YEARS AND PUT PEOPLE OFF WOOD?

Sorry for shouting but I listened to my sister complain about her wood tops for years and when I got my own I was amazed at how easy they are.
Seriously, I am useless at DIY stuff, am very busy, have lots of little messy children, I just dont get why people find this hard.

MrsBucketxx Mon 04-Feb-13 11:16:07

no definitely a nightmare,

dont do it.

MerryMarigold Mon 04-Feb-13 11:14:44

Ooh, feeling all justified in my choice of laminate now! You can get some really cool ones. There is one style which is much thicker than the rest and has square edges so looks less 'laminate' (unfortunately I left it too late to order). I would add my regret was going for a dark coloured laminate as it does show the limescale, but that's not much in the grand scheme of things.

Badvoc Mon 04-Feb-13 11:13:59

Noooooo!
Theybareva nightmare!

Don't fancy quartz/granite - they look and feel gorgeous, but a) they are cold and my kitchen is freezing b) they cost an arm and a leg and c) they are ultra-hard and I will smash all my crockery on them!

Thinking about staining granite with turmeric and curry powder. It probably is only a problem if you choose a light colour. I'm sure a dark stone will never show up your curry stain!

NotGoodNotBad the thing with laminate is that it's cheap enough to replace grin. And they are really tough. I put roasting pans from the oven and pots from the stove straight onto mine. Same with curry powder, cutting dough with pizza wheel, red wine. I got a dark stoned coloured one, and it's indestructible. The kitchen guy did say granite/quartz is very good, but you have to be slightly careful with red wine and curry. I think how porous they are depends on the colour/stone chose? I know friends who love theirs so it must be ok.

I'm surprised at all your experiences. We have a wooden worktop, it's been there over 14 years, we oil it maybe once every three years a year. We don't put very hot stuff on it, but we do put mugs, glasses etc. on it. It still looks OK for the most part.

OTOH we are about to redo our kitchen and I would prefer to change to something else - the sink area, as others have said, is not great and has black bits.

Laminate worries me as if you damage it you can't fix it, unlike wood, so I'm undecided....

Netheregions Mon 04-Feb-13 10:58:42

loved the look of my solid wood worktop - kept it dry but still got marks and black stains by the sink.

If going for a non-plastic option would recommend granite - mine seems uber easy to keep perfect.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Feb-13 10:40:49

No.

<shudders at memory of wood worktops>

I talked to a friend's mum who has a wooden worktop before doing ours. She said they never put coffee cups and wine glasses on the worktops. And you need to keep it super dry or it'll go mouldy. And on top of that, they oil and sand every year. They don't have children so ofc it's doable. The kitchen guy who did our kitchen told me that the most hard wearing surface is laminate, and they'd recommend that over granite/quartz and wooden, if easy no-care is what we want. And only non-glossy lamintate too. We took their advice and chose a nice laminate. With a toddler, I prefer a hard wearing, no care option. I can't have naice sad

PigletJohn Mon 04-Feb-13 02:23:01

solid wood worktops are absolutely ideal in a kitchen showroom.

But not in a kitchen.

emsyj Sun 03-Feb-13 22:24:21

We've got an oak block effect laminate - probably the equivalent of swirly carpet, laminate flooring or artex in terms of naffness but having had a real wood work surface before I would NEVER do it again, you couldn't pay me enough! I love my plastic indestructible worktop grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now