New year re-organisation continues.

(43 Posts)
2kidsintow Fri 25-Jan-13 21:00:23

I'm tackling small jobs (and not so small jobs) as and when the time and inclination is available.

So far I've

Sorted all of DD2's clothes and reorganised her wardrobe.
Bought and put up shelves in DD2s tiny bedroom for her to display all of her painted ceramic craftwork.
Put up a deep shelf and a mirror to make DD2 a dressing table/desk.
Result: Happy DD2.

Got DH to remove DD1's top bunk (and donated it to a friend) and bought her new bedding.
Moved all her bedroom furniture around.
Put up one shelf for her DVDs (still have another shelf to put up)
Helped her to sort through a lot of stuff she's been holding on to.
Result: Job still in progress. She's currently sorting through her other stuff and this weekend's BIG job is to empty her built in wardrobe, go through EVERYTHING in it and be ruthless. We aren't keeping any of her old clothes unless DD2 really loves them.

Last week I went through all the shelves in the pantry and binned anything out of date.

Today, I came home from the school run and spent an hour going through the wall cupboards, end open shelves, windowsill and the drawers in the tiny kitchen. I filled a massive bin bag and have a further pile of things like Princess mugs etc that DD2 has declared she is too big for now for the charity shop.
(Still need to sort through two base cupboards!)

Built a shoe rack and organised my shoes in my room and moved my dressing table. (Still need to be ruthless with my clothing - but waiting til I've lost a bit more weight and can just bin loads of stuff).

I hadn't realised how much I've got done as I've been doing it in a hit and miss fashion, but it is starting to make a difference.

I still have a house that is a practical rather than a pretty one in terms of decoration and storage, but it is getting easier to keep it tidy.

SlatternismyMiddlename Sun 26-May-13 11:03:26

envy at all this decluttering.

Well done floaty on making those phone calls.

amazingmumof6 Mon 27-May-13 03:44:45

listed loads more on Ebay - zero insertion fees fest at the moment, ending at midnight today, in case anyone's interested.

all listed clothes are in one box, the ones to be listed in a second box. need to take pictures of all things in third box then can list them too (99p stuff)
feel much more organized already.

so list for tomorrow (well today!) :

- take photos of clothes for Ebay

- tidy desk in boxroom - this involves sorting my beads and bits that got tipped over and got mixed up. put away stuff until desk is empty enough to clean it with Pledge.

- hoover floor in boxroom (after picking up beads on the floor)

- fix some necklaces and a wristwatch

- change sheets and pillowcases in master bedroom.

- wash, dry and put away 2 or 3 loads of washing.

- scream at encourage kids with kind words until they finish holiday homework and do their piano practice

that's enough for one day.

BTW why am I still up?

- must have nap

SlatternismyMiddlename Mon 27-May-13 09:25:57

I too was wondering what you we doing up at that time smile.

I had a great days tidying on Saturday but didn't do anything yesterday. Now it's Monday and pouring down, not exactly motivating.

What were you doing up amazingmumof6?? Wow.

I have never sold anything on eBay. Seems like such a faff. Maybe I should try.

Well did the spare room and airing cupboard yesterday although didn't get to make up the bed. Also did the driveway. It was hard work. But looks a lot better. It's very long. Took 4 hours of DH and I working solidly with a bit if help from DS. I ached last night! Surprisingly ok today though.

Decorator is here so DH and I have emptied the main bedroom and walk in wardrobe. Spare room is now covered in stuff so I need to sort it before I can make up the bed. I will be getting rid of loads. Have lots I kept during cull last year that I still haven't worn so they will be going. Am also now a size 18 from a 22-24 so anything that is too big will be going. Lots of books to go too.

Thinking of doing a car boot sale next week. Have never done one before.

amazingmumof6 Mon 27-May-13 12:48:25

sometimes I just can't sleep.
I'm so used to being woken up by kids or having to stay up, that if I worry about something or trying to figure things out I go into overdrive.
like my brain can stop me from feeling tired, f needed.

I probably sound bonkers..wink

anyway, I've just got up, and now trying to get baby to sleep.
then I can get on.

will reort back later, have a great day!

amazingmumof6 Mon 27-May-13 12:54:33

slattern think of it this way - you might as well tidy today, BECAUSE there's little else you can do.
sounds like a great opportunity to get ahead.
making the most of an otherwise dull day.

then the next time it's nice weather you can treat yourself to a day out because you've earned it!

does that help? smile

mrspaddy Mon 27-May-13 15:44:26

Hi amazing.. yes first baby grin.. very excited. Trying to be sensible about what we are buying- like a good quality chest of drawers that will last instead of cheaper changing unit (will just get a good mat with sides).

I have lots of wicker baskets and bought a label maker too - I would recommend a label maker to everyone. Addictive!!

Love the idea about the shelving for the inside of the airing cupboard. I need a few things like that done. Also want to get a retractable washing line for the bathroom that still looks nice. There is great heat upstairs and at least I can close the door of the bathroom. At the moment I use the tumble drier far too much.

Well done to you all on the weight loss - great feeling I am sure and a good chance to get rid of the old clothes too

amazingmumof6 Mon 27-May-13 16:37:52

ahh, first baby, so cute!

my eldest is almost 12, I hardly remember what life was like before children! grin

I'm very slow today, again - grrrr

done all photos, but now baby's up I'll just be pottering around.

DH fixed broken patio slabs and will hopefully put up new shelf in kitchen tonight, so I can start reorganizing kitchen tomorrow.

I think that's what I'll do, focus on an area for a week or so.
other jobs will follow and inevitably occur, but I think for me it is easier just to concentrate and sort stuff in one room.

right, let's sort some toys

amazingmumof6 Tue 28-May-13 20:42:01

Kitchen shelf is fantastic!
I managed to clear half of the worktop and all around the sink. it's all tidy an clean.
a friend popped in and was amazed she could see the sink for the first time ever as it wasn't covered in stuff!
( she's known me for 4 years!grin grin )

I sorted toys in DS5's bedroom yesterday and threw away a big box of broken toys and puzzle pieces. score!

kids will be at grandma's tomorrow so I will probably have a sewing day just mending and altering clothes.
then I can use/sell/give them away, thus getting rid of another basketful of mess!

2kidsintow Sat 01-Jun-13 19:42:47

Hi all. OP here. Thanks to amazing for resurrecting this thread (and letting me know) - can't believe you've all been so busy.

I've been away for the week in North Devon having a lovely family holiday. The apartment we stayed in was super, but it brings it back home to me how much I still need to do.

Top of today's list is the loads (and loads) of laundry that we've brought back. The kids (2 DDs, 12 and 8) managed to wear everything they packed and most of what we brought back seems to be damp from trips to the harbour/beach/pool.

I've also had to email the council as they neglected to collect my black bin last week. So instead of only one week of rubbish to go in before collection - plenty of room from sorting out I thought - there's now no room for anything and they aren't collecting again til next Mon. I feel a trip to the tip coming on.

A couple of weeks ago I tackled the kitchen and redecorated it. Fitted an new light (well, got halfway through and then couldn't do it and had to be bailed out by my DH), then sugar soaped - urgh - the ceiling. 2 coats of white on the ceiling and a dark raspberry on the walls. I still need to gloss, but I'm back at work on Monday (teacher) so I think it might have to wait til next weekend. My arms are very tired from driving for 7 hours to get us home.

2kidsintow Sat 01-Jun-13 19:48:04

Tomorrow's jobs - drying and putting away all the clothes, making sure uniform is ready for the kids etc.

Visit to parents to offload clotted cream fudge and biscuits bought as souvenirs.

General hoovering etc. Kitchen quite clear and clean from being decorated before we went away.

Whole house needs a vacuuming from top to bottom.

As a teacher, I look forward to the hols to tackle the build up of mess that seems to happen in busy term times (especially with report writing at the moment - maybe cleaning will be my avoidance technique this year.)

This year (in 7 weeks) I will be repainting the hall/stairs/landing. And if I can face it, clearing out and recarpeting that area too as the current carpet has been down since at least 1995. It's a fetching duck egg blue with pink roses on it. It is very forgiving for mess, but is getting a bit worn.

2kidsintow Sun 02-Jun-13 22:56:50

Ok - did the washing and drying, but they aren't put away.
Visited parents.
DH did hoovering while I had a lie in. grin

I had to do a mega-shop to restock the cupboards after being away.

Have ordered some new drawer-knobs as I'm fed up of the ones I have coming off in my hand when I open my drawers.
When they come I shall consider painting the drawers too.

I also need to crack on with my diet so I can throw away my older and more worn clothes - although they are the only ones that fit at the moment!

amazingmumof6 Mon 03-Jun-13 00:37:46

hey, you're back!wink

my arrived yesterday to stay for 3 weeks to help out as DH is having surgery on the 5th.

I have no extra plans this week because of him, but will make a list of things that would be nice to get done while help is 24/7!

keep posting, you inspire me!smile

2kidsintow Mon 03-Jun-13 19:04:02

I couldn't resist the invite. grin

I have to say that it's report-writing time here now, so any house work or organising above the bare minimum that gets done in the next 2 weeks will be purely a way of avoiding the reports!

I have a light fitting that arrived that I forgot I ordered, to replace the one with a broken hinge above my side of the bed. After the debacle with the light fitting in the kitchen, I may avoid doing that one for a bit though.

And I did have to buy slats recently to repair where DH managed to snap one when he attempted to move the bed by just pulling on the headboard alone. We've been without a headboard for a couple of months while I waited for him to 'get round to doing it soon' before I gave in, ordered the bits myself from amazon and spent 2 mins screwing the new slats on and the board back in place.

More of a repair and DIY month than a reorganising though.

amazingmumof6 Tue 04-Jun-13 13:15:20

am sewing beanbags for a friend, promised weeks ago, when done that's another load off my mind.

not much going on. I have a bad cold and DH has op tomorrow, so housework is not important this week.

2kidsintow Sat 08-Jun-13 00:01:22

How's the DH after the op? Are you feeling any better yourself?

No housework here this week as reports being written. Done and dusted now.

DD has had new summer clothing bought - she's gone from a child's size 11-12 to an adult's size 8. They suit her much better, but sniff she's growing up too quickly!

Both DDs have limited storage for clothes so tomorrow's plan may be to go through it all and get rid of things that don't really fit.

I've replaced the knobs on my drawers in the bedroom (that sentences sounds soooo wrong!) as I was sick of them falling off in my hand when I opened the drawers. It looks much nicer now.

I'm back on the diet and I think I'm going to have to use cleaning as a distraction when I want to eat something - that should sort 2 problems in one. The house will get cleaner and I won't eat as much or sit still as much.

I'm also probably doing a skip run with rubbish from the garden (last year's paddling pool included as I've dug it out of storage and it's perished) and have collected some more rubbish to get rid of too. Oh, and there's a garden bench that is past it completely, so that can go too.

If I can be bothered, that is!

amazingmumof6 Sat 08-Jun-13 00:28:33

oh, thanks, he's on the mend. Op went well, beyond expectations really, so very pleased for him!

today I just could not be arsed to do anything. at all.

did the "triangle" - washing machine, tumble dryer & dishwasher on.

cooked dinner. that's it.

I'm addicted to MN at the moment. maybe if I started decluttering by throwing away any means of getting on the internet I'd actually get some things done!grin

tomorrow I want to do a lot of sleeping.

Sunday will be running around a lot - my DS1 is a choir boy at a Chapel Royal, which is a huge commitment.
besides us actually going to church for 8.30 service, he sings at 2 services/Sunday, with an hour+ practice beforehand.
it's a lot of driving back and forth. luckily we live close, but I can't have afternoon naps anymore on Sundays.

I found an interesting organizing routine on another thread - I can PM you the details if you want (don't want to link it, feels unfair on you somehow!)

My mum is staying for 2 more weeks and I really want to make he most of it as she can look after little ones, so I can get on.

I'll do the first bit of decluttering tomorrow, but rest is paramount.

I'll be back Monday latest. well done on your progress, smile and sad @ DD1 growing up! ah!

2kidsintow Sat 08-Jun-13 19:34:48

The weather was glorious today, so I got lots of laundry washed and dried quite quickly.

I dismanted the kids old plastic climbing frame/slide etc that they are no linger interested. 2 trips to the tip with that, the old seesaw, sand/water table and some other assorted rubbish.

Then I vacuumed and jet washed the car.

Then we had a BBQ. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now