Best domestic cheats, please share.

(299 Posts)
farmersdaugther Thu 17-Jan-13 20:46:36

Basically I need some tips on how to make me look like I'm an utter domestic goddess but without all the faffing about! wink

Don't get me wrong I'm fully capable of making my home lovely (clean and tidy etc) cooking and baking but I struggle with having a young family.

So what are your best domestic cheats?

I've started with a bread maker and a slow cooker.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 17:09:46

Someone started a thread once on derivative interior design, and the thread title was

"Do you have twigs and pebbly shit in your house?"

and their first post was

"If so I hate you"

And it was MN at its finest. My contribution was hating artificial air fresheners that are plastic but made to look like stone, for crimes against interior design.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 17:11:34
Sunnyshores Sun 27-Jan-13 21:23:58

fab ideas, wish it wasnt so late I've bags, boxes, cloths to buy.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 23:01:22

Austerity Housekeeping eBook is free again tomorrow on Amazon, if anyone wants to download a copy. grin

Marking place

Monty27 Mon 28-Jan-13 00:53:04

Marking place

Dillydollydaydream Mon 28-Jan-13 14:06:58

Still showing as £2.99 on my Amazon?

Ruprekt Mon 28-Jan-13 14:17:29

What a great thread!

DH and I love superscrimpers!!

GemDoll Mon 28-Jan-13 14:27:03

Can we get back to the domestic cheats? grin

BoffinMum Mon 28-Jan-13 15:03:06

Sorry, yes, that was not meant to be a Boffin hijack.
Big wicker basket in each room to throw the general detritus into is always a good strategy.

Ruprekt Mon 28-Jan-13 17:00:53

Empty all the drawers of units into a big basket and sit and sort through.

anything unclaimed will be chucked out!

Maryz Mon 28-Jan-13 20:22:16

I used to have hooks behind the sitting room door, one for each child. Hang a shopping bag on each, and shove their stuff into it. When the bag is full, they have to take it upstairs and put it away [hopeful]

Panzee Tue 29-Jan-13 10:20:08

Thanks for the tip upthread about cotton balls and lavender in the Hoover. My rooms smell lovely now.

Babysamrocks Tue 29-Jan-13 18:41:53

Dilly the book is free today. I've just got it.

loverofwine Tue 29-Jan-13 20:50:01

If it's not been said before then zones work for us.

I have x4 DS 3-7ys and am very strict on where things go: toys in the playroom or bedroom if not they get thrown away (they don't actually but they disappear for a while), School uniform in 'getting dressed/undressed zone', All shoes in boxes in hall etc. etc.

It creates an illusion of order where there would otherwise be complete chaos and on days when it is just too much to sort it out I just chuck toys/shoes/uniform etc. into their respective zones and the kids know where to find them and what to do. When feeling strong I spend time sorting individual zones out and occasionally incentivise (sweets, sweets, sweets) kids to have a big sort out.

I read somewhere that (boys in particular) respond well to boundaries and have taken this to heart. It means that even though life is constant chaos people comment on how 'on top of things' we all are fools

ProphetOfDoom Tue 29-Jan-13 21:27:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kateecass Tue 29-Jan-13 22:28:27

Thanks to this thread and another website I have just discovered my house is the cleanest and tidiest its been since BC (before children)

I used to use Flylady but found I just ignored her. My new favourite is Clean Mama I follow on FB as then every time I check FB I can see that I'm meant to be hoovering or whatever.

RubyGates Wed 30-Jan-13 07:09:38

Thank You Boffin!

farmersdaugther Fri 01-Feb-13 19:28:25

Shameless bump...

Anymore tips? wink

LemonBreeland Fri 01-Feb-13 19:51:31

kateecass that cleanmama site looks interesting. I might give it a go. On fb will be handy too.

kateecass Mon 04-Feb-13 17:35:29

I think I got this tip of Pinterest I think. Lots of cheats on there too.

Use one of those sponges that you fill the handle with washing up liquid with for washing up, but fill it with washing up liquid and white vinegar and use it to clean the bath, sink and especially the shower screen. Quick rinse and it comes up all shiny. smile

BoffinMum Fri 01-Mar-13 18:40:20

Stop press for all those MNetters who might be interested, ... If you want to see da Boff in da flesh, I am apparently on SuperScrimpers on Channel 4, Monday, 8.30pm.

And they've asked me back to do some more filming later in March. grin

napkin Fri 01-Mar-13 20:43:14

I use a damp j cloth rinsed in hot water and wipe and dry with kitchen roll instead of polish and it keeps dust away for much longer.

podmumlet Wed 28-Aug-13 14:52:48

Just came across this tip on keeping your blender clean really easily which means using it a whole lot more!!

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/27/clean-blender-chow-video_n_3818921.html?ir=Parents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now