Ecover toilet cleaner - correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't toilet cleaners kill germs?

(12 Posts)

Germs are not the whole reason behind cleaning it, keeping it visibly clean and fresh smelling are important too, anyway germs need dirt to breed on so if you keep it clean they are less likely to multiply. I just don't think it needs to be 100% germ free, ordinary cleaners are enough for it unless perhaps there is a D&V bug in the house or someone has a lowered immune system. Even if you bleach every day you won't eliminate them entirely anyway.

lucytails Wed 09-Jan-13 09:38:04

Although i wouldn't say i loose sleep over germs, i wouldn't buy a loo cleaner if it didn't mention killing germs. Like you said, i like to have some reassurance that germs are being killed as its one less thing to be worried about especially as i have a youngster who seems facinated with the loo at the moment! I put the domestos down our loo every morning.

PolterGoose Tue 08-Jan-13 19:19:42

Whatever product you use will be flushed away grin so anythingthat cleans the toilet will be fine, and, of course, if the loo is clean the 'germs' can't multiply. If you're really concerned pour a kettle full of boiling water round the pan.

stephlib Tue 08-Jan-13 18:40:49

Citric acid kills germs? I didn't know that. Sounds plausable i guess and i agree with the theory that soap bars don't mention it either. Saying that though i don't understand why they wouldn't mention it if i did so as surely its one of the main selling points of a cleaner like this....

I'm intrigued some people say they are not concerned about germs in the loo though. I always thought germs were the whole reason behind cleaning the loo? no?

Angelfootprints Tue 08-Jan-13 17:55:02

I wanted to like the toilet cleaner but found it rubbish. Kept leaving stains.

Hopefully you will have a better experience.

I never put bleach in the loo, don't really feel it needs to be 100% germ free, it's not as if we touch the water.

concessionsavailable Tue 08-Jan-13 09:31:22

It has got citric acid in it. That'll do the job for germs. Plus it has minimal impact on aquatic life.

badguider Tue 08-Jan-13 09:26:27

I don't know but soap and hot water kills germs on your hands and yet bars or ordinary soap don't have anything on the packet about killing germs.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 08-Jan-13 09:21:41

But if it is clean what would the germs grow on?

WantAnOrange Tue 08-Jan-13 09:14:34

I use Ecover and have done for a couple years. Toilet is clean. Dont really know how to judge how germy it is other than we are not ill all the time.

I think it contains tea tree oil which is a natural anti-septic but not 100% on that.

bakedsarah Tue 08-Jan-13 07:56:21

I can't comment on Ecover products but i imagine you're right they don't contain any bleach as Ecover probably base their whole philiosophy on not using any harmful ingrediants. Personally i like to use something strong down my toilets like bleach that takes care of germs.

stephlib Mon 07-Jan-13 23:43:26

Just that today i thought i would try and be ecowise and decided to try the ecover loo cleaner. I have just put some down the loo like i always do last thing at night and looked on the back to read the environmental bluff and noticed nowhere does it say anything about killing germs. It mentions all the usual removing stains, and freshening, etc, but nothing on germs. I'm guessing that it doesn't contain any bleach due to the environmental badness of it but i thought it would surely have some sort of disinfecting properties. Can anyone shed any light on if the ecover products actually have disinfecting qualities or not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now