Defrosting milk

(4 Posts)
ColdWinterMorning Tue 01-Jan-13 08:01:54

OK, so this question would be boring on any day of the year, let alone New Year's Day (Happy New Year mn!), but please humour me.

We get through a lot of milk, so rather than going to the shops every other day, we buy extra and freeze it. The problem it's it's taking ages to defrost, and I wanted to know if this is normal, our if there's a better way of doing it. I took a bottle out of the freezer on Sunday morning, it spent the day at room temperature, before being put in the fridge Sunday night, and this morning it still has ice-crystals in. A bottle of whole milk taken out yesterday and left at room temperature all day and overnight, is still mostly frozen. Does it just normally take this long to defrost?

I buy bigger 6pt ones for the main fresh one then 2 pt ones for freezing. Slightly more expensive but less frustrating !

ColdWinterMorning Tue 01-Jan-13 08:31:24

We can't fit the 6 pint bottles in the fridge and found with the 2 pint bottles that they lasted no time at all. I get what you say though that they'll defrost quicker.

MumOfTwoCats Tue 01-Jan-13 10:52:49

We freeze bags of milk. A few hours in the centre mini sink in water defrosts it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now