Making a New start, Stepping into the New year

(811 Posts)
BlackCatinChristmasChaos Fri 28-Dec-12 04:28:55

Hi all, After a pretty rough ride last year (2012) I think I feel ready to start again with babysteps
So who's with me for the journey?

Old and new steppers are welcome!

Lets do this one small step at a time!

BlackCatinChristmasChaos Sat 29-Dec-12 08:06:25

Morning all, just been having a look at flylady. They also work in zones so if any of you fancy having a go here is the link
www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/flying-lessons/zones/**
It seems they recommend that you just start off with decluttering the current zone rather than doing a full clean.

The 15 minutes at a time rule is good.

BlackCatinChristmasChaos Sat 29-Dec-12 09:18:02

Can't believe it! DH forgot to put the rubbish out and this is after we had been talking about which day the bin men would come all week!! shock
Now we will have 2 weeks worth of rubbish pile up in our back yard!

Just had to get that out of my system.

BlackCatinChristmasChaos Sat 29-Dec-12 09:19:56

I'm off to get showered and dressed.

SpangleMaker Sat 29-Dec-12 10:12:14

Can I join??

I've tried flylady before and it worked when I stuck to it, but fell by the wayside. I ended up taking days off work to get everything straight for Christmas and don't want to let all the hard work go to waste.

Blackcat we also forgot to put the rubbish out as they changed the day with the bank hol so it's a trip to the tip today - great!

Can I join in too?

My house is a mess, washing everywhere but my room is by far the worst, it get used as a dumping ground, it's cluttered and needs a bloody good clean. I've started tackling it today and took photos but I don't know if I'm brave enough to post a photo

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sat 29-Dec-12 13:30:11

Started today
Sink shiney
Washing load on
Dishwasher on
Going to do 15 mins in my bedroom.

Well I've not officially started so my sink isn't shiny but I have started to put the Christmas decs away and I've put a wash on. Oh and I got dressed to my shoes (not lace-up smile ). Does all that count?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sat 29-Dec-12 13:44:32

ah.. not dressed yet.. can try that on day 2 smile

My bedroom is done woohoo, looks lovely now but really do need to declutter my bookcase or store them in the attic. Downside my son is now storing his new bike in my room now hmm

I even cleaned the bathroom and did some washing today so I have achieved something, quite proud of myself

Hi all

I'd like to join in -though may not exactly follow Flylady. I'm the opposite to most of you though. I'm back to work on 2nd Jan and want to get as much as I can done before then - whilst still having some fun time off!

I have fibromyalgia so have to pace myself quite carefully. I know once I get back to work I'll have limited time and energy for household things --and I have been reading several "how to make your house beautiful in the country at vast expense" magazines and so want mine to look good too! I do find they inspire me to get on with something for at least - oh - a whole 10 minutes or so!

Ok, so yesterday I cleaned my bedroom really thoroughly and slept an started 2 bags off for the charity shop, one for decent stuff and one for rag!

Today I have done a big food shop, slept for 3 hours and done a batch cook of a carrot and lentil hot pot.

I need to (at the very least):
sort my music out for tomorrow morning;
take rubbish and recycling out;
clean up the kitchen;
deal with a work email (no rest for the self-employed!);
hang out washing on airer before I have an underwear crisis ;
empty dishwasher when it has finished;
eat (from batch cook previously mentioned!).

I'd like to find some time to do some craft stuff too but the above list looks rather long!

OK - here goes! hmm

So far:
--sort my music out for tomorrow morning--;
clean up the kitchen;
--deal with a work email (no rest for the self-employed!)--;
eat (from batch cook previously mentioned!).
iron dress;
clean boots.

Ooops I mean:

So far:
sort my music out for tomorrow morning ;
clean up the kitchen;
deal with a work email (no rest for the self-employed!) ;
eat (from batch cook previously mentioned!) .
iron dress;
clean boots.

Better get on with it then I guess!

BlackCatinChaos Sat 29-Dec-12 21:37:27

Hi all, I haven't managed to start on anything much yet. Was thinking about decluttering my living room but haven't got round to it yet.
This morning I went back to bed for a while as I felt knackered worn out. Must have needed it!! then this afternoon we went to visit mum so most of the day was used up.
Will try again tomorrow! wink

Welcome to all new people joining us! smile Nice to see all those who were stepping last time too! smile

AdoraJingleBells Sat 29-Dec-12 21:50:02

Not much done here today, just my bathroom and food prep. DDs put together OH's new office chair together for him. Too hot to walk dogs, or do anything really. This evening I will continue with a little decluttering. May cook something sweet from my new book, Xmas gift, with the DDs.

bessie26 Sat 29-Dec-12 22:33:14

Today I managed to tidy up a bit in the living room, cleaned the hob & got the DDs to wipe the kitchen cupboard doors down, & steam mopped the kitchen floor while DD2 napped & DD1 watched the gruffalo.

Tomorrow, I want to give the sink a really good scrub so I'm ready for baby step 1. I'm back to work on the 2nd too arti sad

Scout19075 Sat 29-Dec-12 22:35:09

Can I come back? Away for the holiday (and still away for another week yet, I think), but am itching to get back to it and find my house!

Please can I join in?
My house is full, bursting at the seams full, has barely any storage, and is in permanent need of a vacuum.
The mess and sheer volume of stuff in the house causes a lot of tension between DH and I.

DS (19mo) hates it when I clean or even wash up and tantrums and pulls me away from the sink, so maybe if I just did it more he'd get used to the idea!

SpangleMaker Sat 29-Dec-12 23:35:49

Well, I wasn't going to start until 1st Jan but thought what the hell and shined my sink smile. I'm very good at initial bursts of enthusiasm but I really need to keep it up this time.

I will try my best to remember to get dressed as soon as I get up tomorrow. I've got a bit too used to lounging in pjs this Christmas! We're out at BIL's tomorrow so won't get much done around the house - just planning on a bit of washing and sorting a bit of paperwork.

LadyL82 Sat 29-Dec-12 23:49:51

I too now have a shiny sink! And will get dressed as soon as I get up. It's a good start grin

TitHead Sat 29-Dec-12 23:57:06

Oh yes count me in for the 1st to please. All the christmas mess and clutter is driving me mad.

CollieAndTheEyeV Sat 29-Dec-12 23:57:54

Our bins are emptied every fortnight - green recycling bins one week, usual black bins the next. Black bins were meant to be collected on Xmas Eve (2 weeks rubbish), except they weren't. Next collection of anything is 7th Jan! We took some cardboard out of the recycling bins, the contents of our kitchen bin and the nappy bin from the bathroom to the tip today.... except we stopped off at a play centre on the way. NEVER DO THIS. <BOAK>

We drove to the tip with windows wide open and the kids didn't complain about the cold. Strange that.

CollieAndTheEyeV Sun 30-Dec-12 00:19:24

And how's this for ridiculous? Last night I sleep-walked (slept-walked?) and put things in straight lines on the coffee table and put a towel wash on.

I actually got things from the kitchen to line up on the lounge table, so I untidied in an organised way, and then did housework, which woke up my DD at 5 am when the washing machine went into the spin cycle.

I'm in the laundry zone but shooting myself in the foot elsewhere.

Balls.

I sorted DSs toy basket this evening, which is possibly the most pointless task I could have chosen, since he'll have it all out and mixed up again by breakfast time. Daft.

Collie it might be time to start wearing mittens to bed so you can undo all your good work during the night! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now