Fledglings Remember to FLY through November...

(621 Posts)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabularly along the way).

Many thanks to SC for leading the thread through October (and for such a good OP, which I've blatantly cut and pasted) - thanks - and I'll post the first babysteps and mission tomorrow evening.

All welcome!!

Just - so sorry you are going through all this <hugs>

laurenamium Mon 26-Nov-12 10:30:15

Morning all! Sorry I've been missing, I have been lurking just not posting!

just my thoughts are with you sad what a nightmare!

DD and mindee are happily trashing the playroom playing so I'm going to list dump and run!

To do:
Home bleugh
Put away laundry
Wash bedding
Routines
Wash kitchen floor
bake banana loaf
wash counters
Find out zone and missions
Front room hotspot
Decide whether to put silvanians in loft to keep for DD or straight in playroom to get lost and broken
Walk dogs
School run
Last date night before he goes back to work!

BBL!

GossipWitch Mon 26-Nov-12 10:38:12

Good morning all. Well the hallway is almost done just one strip of paper left to go and we can gloss it and lay the carpet, finally. Then I just have to work on the bathroom. I have just taken the two eldest boys swimming and they both did very well, ds2 is finding his speed and boyancy and ds1 swam beautifully and is well on his way to grade 2 if he can keep it up smile

I have so much to do in the house today, I will be going room by room and tackling mount washmore and trashmore too, so my lists today are

Main bedroom-
bring coats down stairs,
take out washing
put clothes away
stash presents in cuboard
put drawers out of cuboard in bedroom
bring bookshelf upstairs
sort out suitcases
clear bedside tables and dressers
make bed
open curtains
polish and hoover

Landing-
sort out mount washmore
tidy shoes
put toys away
hoover

bathroom-
get washing out
swish and swipe
chuck out empties

boys room-
tidy toys away
put clothes away
get dirty washing out

hallway-
put decorating stuff in shed
sort out cat corner
tidy floor area
tidy computer desk

lounge-
tidy tables
put washing away
tidy cushions
polish and hoover

kitchen-
put pots in dishwasher
tidy sides
wipe cupboard fronts and sides
rubbish run
sweep and mop

omg that is mission and a half, I shall post in my breaks !!!!

laurenamium Mon 26-Nov-12 11:03:08

Wow good luck gossip!

GossipWitch Mon 26-Nov-12 11:49:52

On second thoughts my bedroom will be an all dayer by the looks of things, I have only managed to clear my side of the bed so far, that's not including drawers and dresser, I still have to do the bottom of the bed and dp's side !!!!

GossipWitch Mon 26-Nov-12 13:06:52

almost done on the bedroom, I have 6 bags of crap for the charity shop, someone will like the belts !!!! and lots of other bits and bobs that wont fit in a bag, a picture frame that needs the picture out and pics of the kids in but thinking of leaving it entirely, actually no, I will upcycle it. Eventually. I have lots of boxes ready for the shelves, and i still havent sorted the suitcases or presents!!

laurenamium Mon 26-Nov-12 14:05:57

Just had a look at this weeks missions for the living room and I do them all during the week anyway...hotspots and vacuuming as part of routines, and dusting during home bleugh... So I will be detailed cleaning this week- I need to pull out chairs and sofas to Hoover underneath, and tidy the children's bookshelf and clean the sofas...

GossipWitch Mon 26-Nov-12 14:36:37

tada list

Main bedroom-
bring coats down stairs,
take out washing
put clothes away
stash presents in cuboard
put drawers out of cuboard in bedroom
bring bookshelf upstairs
sort out suitcases
clear bedside tables and dressers
make bed
open curtains
polish and hoover

Landing-
sort out mount washmore
tidy shoes
put toys away
hoover

bathroom-
get washing out
swish and swipe
chuck out empties

boys room-
tidy toys away
put clothes away
get dirty washing out

hallway-
put decorating stuff in shed
sort out cat corner
tidy floor area
tidy computer desk

lounge-
tidy tables
put washing away
tidy cushions
polish and hoover

kitchen-
put pots in dishwasher
tidy sides
wipe cupboard fronts and sides
rubbish run
sweep and mop

GossipWitch Mon 26-Nov-12 14:40:46

omg just didn't read thread so sorry about the flooding sad

elliepac Mon 26-Nov-12 19:34:55

Evening all!

Had quite a nice day for a Monday here. Nice day at work and DH was rained off today so he helped when I came home which means between us we got all the jobs done and dusted by 6 including dinner cooked and cleared away shock. Am now just waiting to go and pick DS up from cubs before Masterchef.

On a positive note, I got on the scales today and whilst I have been crap at flying recently I have been quite good at body clutter. Today I have reached a point where I am the lightest I have been for 10 years shock. 3 stone 9lbs lost in total in 5 months. Am quite proud of myself smile.

Have also done DD's reading with her and she is coming on so quickly with her phonics and blending. Part of me doesn't like it. I want her to be a baby again sad. Am very proud of her. Maybe I'll go post in Gifted and Talented winkgrin.

gossip a sterling effort today. I'm a little scared that if I start my bedroom, I may never come out. It is the one room that nobody ever sees and is treated as such. No calm relaxing hideaway going on here grin.

nicknacks you are an inspiration. I remember moving in with DH who is a mummy's boy and had never lived away from home when we moved in together. I have just about got him trained now 14 years later. I am determined I will not let DS get like that but having been letting him get away with it recently. He is 9 and really should be pulling his weight. Am going to try the 15 minute thing. I think that might work.

Anyway had better go and pick DS up.

Big waves to everyone

dizzyday07 Mon 26-Nov-12 21:47:57

Hi everyone. I am heading straight for the naughty corner and haven't even the grace to bring cakes to share. blush

I have been hovering and have read the thread but have been too unmotivated to even post that I've done Sweet-Fanny-Adams all last week! Reading through what you are all having to deal with (flooded houses, unemployed partners, struggles with children) makes my moan that DH still hasn't unpacked his suitcase since he came home from the States two weeks ago just pales into insignificance.

The house is a pig sty and even some of the basics are being left undone. I think that the impending swift arrival of the BIG day next month is not helping. I really hate this time of year as it's me left to do EVERYTHING, and now DH has tiold me he has to go back to the States the week before!

Best I go now and hope that Fly Lady can inbibe me with some get-up-and-go tomorrow x

Evening all.

Gossip - you sound like you're on a roll today!

Ellie - well done on the bodyclutter - that's brilliant!

Just - so sorry to hear about further flooding. sad

Power of 15 with kids sounds like an excellent strategy, NickNacks <makes note>

Dizzy - Here's hoping the Fat Fairy can prove inspirational for you.

Big waves to swan, SC, Toffee, Lauren, feet, WhoKnows, Happy, Castle, Bitchy and everyone I've inevitably missed.

Took DS2 to see the nursery he'll be starting in Jan. Finally he and DS1 will be in the same place every morning!! He had a really good time too, and I had to drag him away. smile Also lots of running around on errands and work so not much flying.

DS1's been in a really funny mood today. Lots of random crying and he didn't want me to leave him at school this morning, which is most unlike him. Hope he's not coming down with anything...

Anyway, time for links:
Babystep 27: What's for dinner?

Mission: dusting decorative items.

Incidentally, does anybody fancy taking over for December, which is approaching with terrifying speed??!

Evening all,

Just a quick ta-da as it's late.

Put away Ocado shopping
Start preparing mincemeat (soak fruit in sherry)
Clean toilet
Wash towels
Various emails, bookings etc
Went swimming
Home for a little bit of crochet
Get dinner underway

Picked the DCs up in the car from school so we could go straight to big town for Christmas shopping, they did really well and bought things for all the grandparents, me, DH and each other, also two of DD's friends. All in the pound shop and Tiger, so very little money spent. I love Tiger, it's a brilliant shop. Night all.

strictlycaballine Tue 27-Nov-12 00:13:58

Helllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooo

Just popping in before bed.

Sorry to have been awol. Long day - art acad. Will catch up with thread on Wed.

In the meantime just wanted to say humungous thanks for kind words re: house situation and dh lower down thread. Much appreciated.

At same time, what justgettingonwithit said about that poor homeless girl and tent etc was right. Need to count my blessings and stop whinging!!!

Justgettingonwithit Outrageous that you are having to battle with yet another flooding incident. That must be so utterly demoralising. And why on earth did they expect you to expend all that effort on sludge clearance without them putting prevention measures in place beforehand?? You have the forbearance of a saint.

Nicknacks glad that things are on a bit more of an even keel x

Swan¨have also made a sybaritic purchase ie one Playmobil town house for dd (for Christmas or St Nic - havent decided yet). Kept showing her lovely wooden Georgian-style ones that I like but only the plastic playmobil one will do apparently (sigh). It's because her best friends have them and they like to swap room sets apparently.

Well done to all of you who have whipped their gardens in to shape and to Gossip for mahoosive list.

Humungous wing flaps to all. G'night ...

strictlycaballine Tue 27-Nov-12 08:45:37

[just cantering through]

Blue I'd be happy to run thread for part of December and/or part of January if anyone wants to share but am going to be away for a bit of both. I am also away for a bit of Feb. Happy to do March though (apart from last few days when I will also be travelling)!!

Anyone else?

Great that your ds2 liked his nursery so much and hope your ds1 is a bit cheerier today. Hope it didn't turn out that he was ill.

GossipWitch Tue 27-Nov-12 10:51:24

Good morning gals, I woke up expecting sugar puffs all over my nice clean kitchen floor this morning (I uber blitz the kitchen last night and it is gorgeous now, along with my bedroom too) but my darling children's took the cereal box and a bowl in to the living room in stead, and were sat at the table too so I only need to hoover around the table smile

yesterday I :-

decluttered the entire bedroom
cleared all the sides in the kitchen,
loaded the dishwasher
cleaned fronts of cupboards and appliances
scrubbed the floor
scrubbed the window pane and got majority of the paint off
scrubbed the bin

today I intend to
tidy the boys room
tackle mount washmore
tidy the bathroom
tidy the hall stairs and landing
tidy the lounge
do some shopping before I pick the children's up
cook tea
load dishwasher again
get on with the bloody glossing !!!!!

laurenamium Tue 27-Nov-12 11:59:01

Am I too unreliable for thread leading? If not I don't mind doing December? It's probably about time I took a turn! blush

Today's list dump!

To do:
school run
baby gymnastics
clean sofa and chair in front room
Clean kitchen floor
Walk dogs
DD to CM
horsey afternoon
Routines
Paperwork

BBL!

Jamillalliamilli Tue 27-Nov-12 12:39:34

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully back later to catch up better, but for now a dump list to try and keep me on track.

Still to do:
Clear out fridge, take photo’s.
Call to organise collection of (2nd replacement!) fridge
Call electrician
Clean up bathroom
Put scales in insurance unit pile
Make flask of coffee and snack
Camera
Take stuff to insurance unit/photograph
Get fridge out of kitchen to pavement
Hose down plant pots, move onto blocks.
Repair d/s shoes
Patch d/s jeans
Repair d/d skirt
Ironing
Prep English and psychology
Find Cd for library tomorrow
Books for same
Dinner

Jamillalliamilli Tue 27-Nov-12 12:43:17

Ok, now add collect unwell d/s from lecture to list and factor into plan!

GossipWitch Tue 27-Nov-12 12:50:14

awww bless ya just you really do live up to your name smile sending hugs and strength your way (I think you may need it for the fridge).

tada :-
tidied boys room
tidied bathroom
brought mount washmore downstairs
tidied landing

to do:-
tidy stairs and hallway
tidy lounge
go shopping
pick boys up
cook tea
load dishwasher
gloss stuff

GossipWitch Tue 27-Nov-12 12:52:28

Also stripped ds2's bed and scrubbed his bean bag, he told me he hadn't wet the bed this morning, I hate it when they lie!!

deleted203 Tue 27-Nov-12 13:04:52

Briefly flapping by folks. Have hit a brick wall in Nov I'm afraid....coping with the basics such as feeding people, and laundry. No de-cluttering, hot spots, fly lady missions as such. How ridiculous it is to NOT be able to cope with/find time for 15 mins a day. I need a kick up the backside for Dec as I'm so easily distracted from housework. Sigh....

Ok, on the plus side, I've done probably 4/5 of my Christmas shopping - and wrapped it. That's a major thing for me as I am usually flying frantically around shops the week before Christmas.

Today I need to:-

Go to the bank and pay VAT, PAYE (massively late) and sort out wages with accountant.
Finish wrapping presents
Sort out massive pile of ironing

Plus the general housework.

(Heaves heavy sigh and heads back to it).

Love to all...

evening.

been a bit awol recently. Just sorry to hear you are having yet more flooding problems sad hope you can get it sorted.

Feeling very tired and drained atm. I suspect it is the result of recent events. Things seem to have calmed down for now. Ds is still very fragile and flares up at the stupidest thing. But for now he is manageable. His dad is finally fully in understanding of things and how they work/happen. Camhs are still camhs, school is still school. Aside from that I am feeling on the whole calmer which makes a huge difference to ability to cope.

Ta da
sleep off the effects of ds being up a lot in the night recently.
Speak to ex about ds
wash ds' bedding
help ds with his tidying up.
plan of action for week constructed
remake ds' bed.

More can and might be done but hope all the fledgelings have had ok days.

GossipWitch Tue 27-Nov-12 21:33:05

I have an entirely tidy house, and a mountain of wet washing to get through but its all good.

dizzyday07 Tue 27-Nov-12 21:36:28

A bit of progress made today.

* Rubbish out for binmen
* Recycling sorted
Clean washing put away
* Laundry load in and hung to dry
* Bought DH's birthday cards and got DD to write hers
* Wrapped Ebay parcels and took them to PO
* DD fed and taken to Brownies then put to bed
* Shined sink

I even managed a bit of sewing today and have more I have to do tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now