I am so FED UP with job hunting.

(5 Posts)

I took redundancy from the civil service at the end of 2011. Due to MIL and my mum being ill, I had to delay job hunting and lived off my pay off. I am now back into looking for work and it's soooo demoralising.

I've just had another phone call telling me I was unsuccessful. The feedback is simply that someone else had more relevant experience to the job, but that I scored very highly and was rated as 2nd place.

I did ask a few subtle questions and I can tell from the tone of voice and answers that it really was down to the experience in the end.

I think my main problem is that the civil service, until recently, liked managers to be jack of all trades, so I have finance, training administration and even some HR experience but I am not an expert in any of these (I am not an accountant nor do I have the CIPD qualification, for example).

So I have experience that you'd expect from someone with a degree, without the degree!

If anyone has any tips to get around this issue, I'd be grateful, meanwhile I am applying for jobs slightly below the level I used to work, in the hope of at least getting in and working up again. Otherwise, I'm letting off some steam here, as I do have 2 interviews later this week.

Pandsbear Mon 08-Jul-13 14:08:51

No great tips but you have my sympathy! I am also fed up with job hunting! Hope the interviews this week go well for you.

alimac87 Mon 08-Jul-13 14:32:52

I know books aren't for everyone but i can really recommend a book by John Lees called The Interview Expert. It's a small book which covers all the aspects of preparing for interview. It's incredibly thorough & really gets beneath the surface. He also points out that if you are getting interviews you are nearly there! (I know though, so near yet so far). Good luck - I have had loads of interviews lately, am hoping to get an offer shortly. It has taken for ever.

Thanks for the sympathy smile and the book tip.

The 2 interviews are BOTH on Thursday. I have worked out I can get between them with some leeway. (And still get home in time to collect DS from school.)

alimac87 Wed 10-Jul-13 10:08:55

Also, I got the job smile!

You will definitely get there. Just needs grit and resolution and a whole lot more grit. It's been unbelievably long-drawn out.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now