The funny side of having a very young child who reads

(8 Posts)
Finnbheara Tue 22-Apr-14 21:16:43

I have put this in G&T but its not supposed to be a stealth boast.

DS2 is 4 and is a confident reader - he never asks for help but does sometimes get it quite hilariously wrong. But being confident he is often prepared to argue that he has read it correctly and the rest of the world is wrong.

He will read road signs very literally - and then get very upset if we are not following the instructions e.g
DS- "Mummy it says 'slow down', you must slow down!"
Me - "Yes DS it does say slow down but that is aimed to remind those who are speeding, I am not speeding"
DS - "Slow down NOW!"

DS "Mummy stop drinking, it says 'do not drink and drive'
Me "sigh" as I put down my water bottle

The other day he was struggling over a name plate so I helped him - "DS it says John"
DS "no it doesn't there is a H in it"
Me "yes its a silent H"
DS "Oh, well how many other words have a silent H?"
Me "sigh"

These sorts of mix ups can't only happen to us

Wafflenose Tue 22-Apr-14 23:19:44

I had early readers and it was quite funny. DD2 is tiny, and when she was 4 (looking like a 3 year old) she read a poster saying "Stop the flu before it stops you" in the pharmacy, and people started asking a lot of questions. blush DD1 did the exact same thing with the road signs, and drove us round the bend being the annoying preschool backseat driver!

The plus side is that I have never had to read one of the sodding fairy books out loud. By the time they were old enough to want to read them (in Reception) they could manage it themselves. I did read a few to myself to see what they were like, ie repetitive guff.

Ohnonotagen Wed 23-Apr-14 08:18:01

not really reading but we were walking to nursery the other day (we usually go by car so its a slightly different way walking as you can cut though). DS didn't want to go through an entrance as there was a no entry sign!

Finnbheara Wed 23-Apr-14 10:34:36

We have a lot of 'arguments' about not going out the entrance or in the exit iyswim

when DS was about 2.5yo we were in a well known supermarket when he said in a very loud voice "T.E.S.C.O that spells 'shops' doesn't it Mummy" oops!

ATM he is very keen on putting inflection into his reading so if it is in capitals it has to be SHOUTED VERY LOUDLY if we are in public or not.

My dd did the road sign reading too. The worst though was when she was 3 and read her older sisters book on how babies were made without me realising. She had a lovely chat with the next pregnant woman she saw about how exactly the baby had got in there blush

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 23-Apr-14 13:31:04

we have had interesting experiences involving signs and posters up at hospitals or doctors surgeries, headlines on papers and so on.

marymoocow Fri 02-May-14 22:55:35

When ds1 was 5 we sat in a traffic jam behind a van. With 2 other DC in the car as well DS suddenly announces "mummy, what does erection mean?" I paused for a moment wondering quite how to explain it to a 5 year old, when fortunately I looked closer at the van in front to realise that it was a scaffolding company which had used the word to describe what they did, which he had readgrin . I could have had a very confused little boy thereblush .

GoogleyEyes Thu 08-May-14 19:22:29

I had to explain about egg donation to my just four year old. I've never looked at those IVF ads on the tube in quite the same way since. Possibly, the rest of the carriage hasn't, either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now