So just had ds2's report for the end of year 1 and he is

(9 Posts)
MrsMelons Mon 01-Jul-13 15:21:16

I know it is difficult to say something but part of me feels you should.

DS1 was at the same levels at the end of Y1 and the school have really let him down this year as it is a stand alone infant school he has not has a 'group' to work with this year so has been worknig on the same literacy level all year with no attempt to stretch him. He got 100% in his L3 SATs in Y2 but NC level for Literacy the same as 18 mnoths ago according to teacher assessment! I wish I had brought it up earlier but left it too late as kept thinking that things would change.

Numeracy and writing has improved but not dramatically.

numbum Sun 30-Jun-13 20:16:56

Those levels should be sent to the new school by the old school. I'd leave it a while and see what the new school do (if anything). I will warn you of the fact that the new school may be tougher with their levelling though. As a school governor I've seen teachers in the same school disagree over the levels of certain work!

My DD has roughly the same levels at the end of y1 and I'm worrying enough about y2 in the same school so can imagine your worry over a new school.

Well done to your DS

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Fri 28-Jun-13 19:20:33

fabulous x post grin

hillian Fri 28-Jun-13 19:19:12

I've just reread your OP and I have to apologise. Those levels are special! I was reading it as an end of KS1 situation, where it would be at the good end of normal, whereas you said it was end of year 1, which is very special. Well done to your son, OP.

However, I'd still be wary about asking the school any question that may suggest that they are not 100% on top of the situation... no matter how gently you phrase it, there are a lot of teachers who will hear that message and will instantly retaliate by labelling you "pushy", with the unspoken subtext that you should be rebuffed.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Fri 28-Jun-13 19:17:49

thanks all.

"bright" is exactly how he feels, It just shocked me that he was a 3c

DH and I have also been thinking more about it..
he is a september baby so but for a couple of weeks he would be about to go into year 3 so really not exceptional at all.

we will just keep plugging away with the extra's he enjoys at home and leave school alone grin

Tiggles Fri 28-Jun-13 13:11:12

Those are about the levels that DS2 is at (we are in Wales so things are labelled differently). We were looking at moving areas this summer. At his current school he is on the G&T list, mainly as it is a small school, so to cater for his differentiated work he changes classes. At his last IEP meeting, his teacher was saying that they probably wouldn't identify him as G&T at a bigger school as there would be more children working at similar levels within the year group, so the message going from the school would be "bright" but not exceptional, which I think probably sums DS2 up to a tee.

HormonalHousewife Fri 28-Jun-13 12:31:16

You should definitely wait.

Honestly the teachers will be hmm if you do request something.

Have the school got a suggested reading list on their website that you could look at and take some ideas from ?

hillian Fri 28-Jun-13 12:26:42

I think you should wait. The results your son just got are good but they aren't exceptional (which doesn't mean that he hasn't the capacity to be exceptional, only that he isn't demonstrating it in his class work just yet).

I can't think how you would phrase such a request at this moment, without the new teacher mentally dismissing you as a pushy parent. Sorry.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 27-Jun-13 22:49:46

At level 3c for all the literacy work and level 2a for all the other columns
He moves school in September do you think we should be asking the new school for extra work for him or should we sit and wait for a bit to see how they added him? I just don't want him to be bored as well as having to forge new relationships

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now