Reading/literacy

(40 Posts)
itsnothingoriginal Mon 01-Apr-13 20:40:20

DD is very able, although not gifted at literacy. She is Yr 1 and reads completely fluently and has done for about 6 months now and her spelling is also very good for age. She works with children in the Yr 2 top set although not sure what happens when they move into Juniors in September confused

Apart from working on comprehension and reading loads of different kinds of books/text is there anything else I can do to support her from here? I also wondered what other children have been offered at school when working with the year above is no longer an option...

Thanks for any advice, or experiences you can share with me smile

simpson Thu 04-Jul-13 09:49:01

I would ask the school too but maybe wait until the next school year to see what is going to happen.

I have spoken to the HT about how they are going to differentiate for DD (going into yr1 in sept) but they are waiting for her to mature a bit before pushing her too much, so differentiation will start 2nd term of yr1 (earlier if DD kicks off as her behaviour can get worse if bored).

anklebitersmum Thu 04-Jul-13 13:08:08

OK I'm diving in to ask a question..(hope you don't mind)..

How do you guys get the school to give the next level SATs papers?? We move every two years, daughter is well above average in all subjects but I have trouble convincing each new school to believe the current SAT results never mind admit her for papers above the 'expected/average level'.

Am I just going to have to fork out the £500 for an ed psych?

ps She's in state school

anklebitersmum Thu 04-Jul-13 13:09:38

pps not hi-jacking, just figured it was in context with OP blush

MrsMelons Thu 04-Jul-13 13:57:25

This is exactly what happened with DS1. He ended up in a group with children who were working way below him in Y1. They assured me they would stretch him etc but it didn't happen. I wish I had spoken to them sooner as I left it too late as gave them the benefit of the doubt.

It was such a shame he could not continue in the year above as it is a stand alone infant school but obviously he will be at juniors in september so should be suitably challenged.

itsnothingoriginal Thu 04-Jul-13 20:30:32

Yes that's what I feel MrsMelons! We have parents eve so I might pluck up courage to ask. I hate coming across as pushy but dd expected to be at 3a/4c by end of yr 2 so wondering how they are planning to help her to progress to this level without more targeted support?

Hi anklebitersmum - sorry I know nothing about SATS yet as I guess dd will take them next yr! Hope someone else might be able to help..

Simpson - school started to differentiate literacy group for dd halfway through term 1 of yr 1 so hopefully they can get your dd into appropriate group asap

MrsMelons Thu 04-Jul-13 21:09:22

They still only gave DS the L3 paper even though he got 100% in it, again I feel now I should have said something.

simpson Thu 04-Jul-13 21:11:57

I would definately ask.

Are there any kids near her level?

DD is on a 2A (reading, don't know writing level) and she is very lucky to have a child who she gets on very well with who is a sub level below her and so it is easier for them to do work together and bounce ideas off each other etc...

Anklebiter - you can pay for an ed psych test, but some schools don't take much notice of them either...

anklebitersmum Fri 05-Jul-13 15:08:01

I guessed that would be the case, it's just so frustrating seeing her work to half of her potential because the school's attitudes are 'well, she's above the norm, so what?' and refuse to expand her education above and beyond the year above's level.

itsnothingoriginal Fri 05-Jul-13 18:46:49

I think this is the issue now. There is no real incentive for schools to get children above and beyond a certain level or to show progress greater than 3 sub levels per year. I'm not criticising teachers as many do care greatly about individual progress but how can it be a priority to work with our kids when the pressure is on to work with those who aren't achieving the levels required!

Simpson - that is great your dd has a friend to work with. I'd love that for dd but there is a real issue with reading in her year group - most didn't 'pass' the phonics test. Hence my concerns about what will happen in Sept!

itsnothingoriginal Fri 05-Jul-13 18:49:00

Also - so impressed that your dd already at a 2A smile

simpson Fri 05-Jul-13 19:07:30

Thanks smile

She had the same teacher in nursery that she has had in reception. DD went to the morning nursery and this other child was in the afternoon nursery and the teacher kept saying how she could not wait to get them together because she knew they would get on and also because ability wise they are very close.

HT has told me they have a plan for DD (don't know what it is yet) and that her yr2 SATS target is already set (this was half way through reception) so I guess I just have to trust them and let them get in with it!!

simpson Fri 05-Jul-13 19:09:13

Most kids didn't pass the yr1 phonics test at my DC school either last year, but there seems to be a big change with how phonics is taught there now (mainly with the books sent home) so hopefully things are improving smile

Iamnotminterested Fri 05-Jul-13 20:57:19

Simpson - how and why do you know that this other child is 'a sub-level below dd ?'

I mean, honestly, do you and this other childs' parents really discuss this stuff?!?

Iamnotminterested Fri 05-Jul-13 20:58:17

Simpson - how and why do you know that this other child is 'a sub-level below dd ?'

I mean, honestly, do you and this other childs' parents really discuss this stuff?!?

simpson Fri 05-Jul-13 21:39:09

I am good friends with the child's mother.

It has been mentioned in passing (reading only) she has lent me books for DD and I have lent her other books for her DC.

What is wrong with discussing it if we are friends?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now