Can a child achieve higher than level 3 in KS1 SATs?

(43 Posts)
Fuzzymum1 Sun 24-Mar-13 20:23:23

Are there KS1 SATs tests that can show where a child is if they're working above level three?

6yo DS3 is in year 1 and is currently working at level 3C in reading, as measured in school by a reading comprehension test. When he started school 18 months ago he was able to sound out CVC and occasionally CCVC words so has gone from almost no reading to level 3 in a year and a half so presumably he will be capable of more than two sub- levels in the next 14 months before SATs.

I'm not one for getting hung up on levels especially but I am interested to know where he is if possible. His teacher plans to let him sit this years SATs after the year two children have done them (he's in a mixed Y1/2 class) because she is interested to see what he can do and knows he will enjoy the challenge.

ffsx2 Sat 24-Aug-13 13:39:56

That's too bad, jrabean. A shame when kids get nothing out of the social life in school. Or art/history/drama/music/etc. Plenty of non-G+T kids have the same problem, of course.

simpson Sat 24-Aug-13 18:52:31

I do standby my original point that it is ridiculous to say that many kids will reach L3 in reception. It does not mean that no kid ever will obviously.

I find it a bit hmm though to say a 4/5 yr old child finds the whole school day boring, especially in reception when they can do pretty much what they want.

sparklekitty Sat 24-Aug-13 19:06:56

They'll be reported as L3+ to the LA but in teacher assessment they'll be whatever level they are.

Don't forget as the levels go up they also get bigger (ie more to achieve) so 2 sub levels may not happen automatically. It also depends on maturity, for example the reading levels above L3 include a lot of inference which, in my experience, is hard for younger ones to achieve just because they've not read as much and are not as mature as the older ones.

WhoreOfTheWorlds Fri 30-Aug-13 20:45:49

I had the same experience as you OP.

Because my dd was doing so well in Yr 1, her teacher got her to sit the Yr 2 SATS paper, I think the reading one, just to see what she could do and she got 100%. We knew nothing about it until months later when it was mentioned in her report.

The following year in Yr2, she came out with all Level 3s in her SATS but her teacher confided that she hadn't even broken a sweat and had finished long before her friends. Not surprising really, I guess.

She's just finished Yr4 with a 5c and 2 4a. But to be honest she's never been given a piece of homework she couldn't zip through, even the special extension work doesn't stretch her. Her teacher confidently predicts she'll leave primary school with Level 6s, but doesn't seem able to really give her anything to get her teeth into.

So, I've given up worrying about SATS and the tests. The problem with them is that they're not really designed to deal with the very clever children. I'm just glad that dd will be going to a good grammar school where she'll be challenged for the first time.

papooser Mon 21-Oct-13 12:45:30

It might depend on the school - I was told at parent's evening this week that our school will not award higher than a 3B at KS1 because if they do, it's a struggle to get the expected two levels progress by Yr 6. DTs ended KS1 on 3B for maths, which didn't seem right to me; however at Y3 parent's evening this week was told they are at Level 4 which seems a better reflection of their level.

FunLovinBunster Mon 28-Oct-13 21:46:43

My DD was 6 when she sat KS1 Sats and got level 3 in all her papers.

itsnothingoriginal Mon 18-Nov-13 20:47:38

This is interesting - we had DDs parents eve today and were told she was aiming for 4c in literacy at the end of this year (yr2). She isn't G&T so I did wonder how it would be assessed at that level based on papers and also how this sets her up for the onward trajectory through primary level? Teacher didn't suggest there was anything unusual or remarkable in gaining a level 4 in yr 2 though..

bamboostalks Mon 18-Nov-13 20:54:51

Just to reassure any anxious parents reading this. In 20 years of teaching, I have never taught or encountered a child reading beyond a 2A in reception, there have only been a few 2As too. Most have gone on to be very successful academically too without this early acceleration. There a skewed demographic on this site. Very few have exceeded 3s at year 2.

simpson Mon 18-Nov-13 22:11:13

I had a meeting with the KS1 Head at the beginning of this school year about DD and in passing she said that a child can not get higher than a 3A in KS1 SATS.

No doubt I will find out more nearer the time as she is only at the start of yr1!

alwaysneedaholiday Mon 18-Nov-13 22:19:10

Thanks bamboostalks. Panic was beginning to set in!

MirandaWest Mon 18-Nov-13 22:29:47

This thread is definitely the sort that would only appear on Mumsnet grin.

There really aren't lots of children getting level 3 in reception.

For KS1 children are assessed using teacher assessment. They will use a test to inform their assessment. A child could get a level 4 in a test but not be reported as being a level 4 as the teacher might assess this as being a one-off.

I am also of the belief that a level 3 should be a level 3 whichever key stage you are in.

avocadosandwich Wed 07-May-14 12:46:00

Our school refuses to give out levels in yr1 which I find really irritating as I think it's helpful to know how my kids are doing. He was assessed as level 3 across the board in KS1 SATs so out of interest, I downloaded some of the KS2 SATs papers for him to have a go: www.theschoolrun.com/ks2/key-stage-2-sats

We only did a few papers but he didn't get above a 3 in anything - I guess schools don't generally cover the KS2 curriculum in KS1, so he hadn't gained the actual knowledge to get above level 3, even if the brain power is there.

MumTryingHerBest Fri 09-May-14 00:04:54

It will be interesting to see how the new SATs gradings will demonstrate a child's ability progression as they advance through infant school through to the end of junior school.

My DD will be the last year 2 to be given SATs results in the existing level format. I am curious how this will translate to give a comparison of performance using the new sliding scale scores when she gets into yr6.

MumTryingHerBest Fri 09-May-14 00:17:40

avocadosandwich it is really bad that the teacher does not give you any indication as to how your DC is performing. Do they not have parents evenings/consultations and if they do what are they used for it they are not updating you on your DCs progress?

The school that my DCs attend don't give out any SATs results until yr2 and from yr3 onwards. However, they do give a very clear indication as to how DCs are performing in relation to their class mates. I do know that the school uses PIPs which is considered, by some, to give a better indication of potential attainment rather than assessing information retained on a single given day.

Mind you, where I live, you could have a level 9 SATs and still not get a place in a local secondary. The majority of secondary schools are semi-selective (7 out of 9 schools) and require the 11 plus.

Fuzzymum1 Fri 09-May-14 21:59:46

I spoke to DS's teacher today and she said that she's contemplating giving him a paper that could demonstrate he's working above level 3. She said his reading comprehension is incredibly mature and she would love to be able to demonstrate that she has a child working at level 4! That would put a bit of pressure on the KS2 staff to show progress but she doesn't want to 'do him out of a level 4 if he's capable of it!'

mumeeee Mon 12-May-14 14:04:29

Just thought I'd mention you don't need SAYs to assess how a child is performing. The child's teacher should be able to tell you how they are doing just by their normal class work and knowing your child. My children are all grown up now but I know there are not any SAYs in Wales.

Fuzzymum1 Mon 12-May-14 20:43:16

His teacher thinks he's generally working at high level 3 possibly into level 4 and wants to use a test to see if that agrees with her assessment.

teeththief Mon 12-May-14 21:40:23

fuzzymum My y2 DD has been levelled a 3a in reading too. They asked if I would be happy for her to do a level 3-5 SAT paper to see if she would get a 4. My reply was that, considering the SAT results are based on teacher assessment, I didnt want to put that pressure on her and if she is a 4 then surely they'd know anyway.

My other concern was the pressure she would have put on her in future years to carry on progressing at the 'expected' rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now