Free reader

(17 Posts)
N0tinmylife Tue 05-Mar-13 18:50:30

That is brilliant, you must be fit to bust with pride, I know I would be! I hope she enjoys the new choice of books! grin

bigdog Tue 05-Mar-13 18:47:16

Well done to your daughter! It's lovely when they become free readers smile My DD had whipped through all the reading schemes by the end of Nursery, so by the time she started Reception she was reading whatever she liked. Luckily, she's got a fab teacher who fully understands her needs and as such has stretched her just enough without putting her off school work entirely and she's now working at Level 2 (so proud!)

Well done noisy dd!!! smile

learnandsay Mon 04-Mar-13 11:55:40

Well done to your daughter!

simpson Thu 28-Feb-13 21:09:20

She loves looking at books in detail (how they are written, how they compare to other books she has read, looking at the illustrations etc) which we do at home. But it can only be a good thing to have more 121time.

She does get quite a bit already (as do all the other kids) as her teacher timetables it in (121time with her class, or working in small groups of say 2/3 kids) but its all good grin

noisytoys Thu 28-Feb-13 21:02:16

Fantastic that is great news. Your DD will really benefit from 1-1 time smile

simpson Thu 28-Feb-13 20:11:16

Well done to your DD grin

I had some good news today too as I found out that the EYFS Head (who is KS1 trained and was actually DS's yr2 teacher) is going to do a 30 min 121 lesson every week in literacy with DD (reception).

She is on a mixture of white/lime books and loves reading.

It might be worth trying your DD on "The Magic Finger" (Roald Dahl) as DD has just finished it and loved it...

ilikenoodles Wed 27-Feb-13 21:00:37

yay fab....congrats!

Artichook Tue 26-Feb-13 17:45:07

What's mean response Iamnot. Do you think a child won't learn vocabulary etc from Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl etc? I'd argue such books are much more thought provoking and stimulating.

How lovely OP. I hope you and your DD enjoy many books together.

insancerre Tue 26-Feb-13 17:42:54

Yay!
You are right to be proud of her.
I still remember being a free reader at infant school [cough] 40 years a long time ago

'Free reading' doesn't mean that, Iam hmm

It merely means OP's DD is no longer on the reading scheme books.

Vocabulary, grammar, pace etc can still be quite adequately addressed and taught.

Iamnotminterested Tue 26-Feb-13 17:25:04

Sorry, but because your child has read "all the lime books" at her school she has now learnt all she ever needs to know about vocabulary, grammar, pace, inference, the writer's intentions etc etc. At four? Really? Sounds s bit crap of the school tbh.

Otherworld Tue 26-Feb-13 10:34:49

Lovely. Fab news grin

Oh good, glad they are extending her reading at school in that way.

You're right to feel proud of her btw smile

noisytoys Tue 26-Feb-13 10:30:06

She's in reception so they are taking her to the junior school library. She has spent most of this year on lime level but started to get upset because she was reading the same books over and over again there was nothing new to read. I mentioned it to her teacher and she said they planned to make her free reader very soon but will do it from today smile

Yay! Have school/nursery got a good supply of material for her to free read? (if she attends).

noisytoys Tue 26-Feb-13 10:17:03

Just that. DD1 (age 4) became a free reader today and I'm so incredibly proud of her but can't bounce around and tell people in RL because I play it down and don't make a big deal of anything she does but it's such an achievement and I'm so happy. That is all grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now