Would drama come under the Talented umbrella at high school?

(5 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Fri 05-Oct-12 13:40:47

Hello, would just like to second EvilTwins point. My dd was on G&T list for music. It is so nice that you don't feel the need to compete with the academic kids. Everyone is good at something. If she is talented I would approach school and ask about the register. I don't mean from the label point of view but the fact it can open doors in terms of awards, scholarships, burseries etc, if she decides to make a career of it.

EvilTwins Thu 27-Sep-12 21:58:10

I teach performing arts, and yes, drama is recognised. In some ways, it's a lovely thing to get recognition for, as it doesn't have to be something only the academic kids do well at. At the moment, I'm doing a fab project with my G&T Yr 9s, which will culminate in a public performance at a local theatre next month.

Niceweather Thu 27-Sep-12 20:31:46

If you do a Google on "School Gifted & Talented Policy" then you will find that Drama is included.

lljkk Thu 27-Sep-12 10:31:11

I know that Dance & Art can be, so perhaps Drama too, why not?

Iamnotminterested Thu 27-Sep-12 09:50:38

Just that really. DD is 4 weeks in to year 7 and has been very highly praised by the drama department - she acts out of school too - and I am wondering if drama is recognised as a subject in this way? BTW I do not expect "Enrichment days" etc for her, see previous threads!

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now