Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

HELP - MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT

(8 Posts)
mambamum Fri 01-Apr-05 16:16:19

My ds is 16weeks and my hair has started falling out, I'm getting scared I'm going to lose the lot. My hair was very fine to begin with. Is there anything I can do apart from buying a wig?
I normally bleach my hair every 4 to 6 weeks should I stop, will it make it worse?

SoupDragon Fri 01-Apr-05 16:17:06

It's supposedly just the hair that you didn't lose whilst you were pregnant.

mummytosteven Fri 01-Apr-05 16:19:30

It is normal to lose hair up till around six months after your baby's birth. I don't think bleaching will make that much difference, as it's hair that you were going to lose anyway. If you are concerned always worth double checking iron/thyroid levels with GP, as sometimes an imbalance can cause hair loss as well.

tigi Fri 01-Apr-05 16:26:12

i lost loads arond my temples. If I lifted up the longer the top hair I could see scalp, I was really worried, but it grew back after a year very healthily- I first noticed new little spikes sticking up!

irishbird Fri 01-Apr-05 16:27:53

Please don't worry too much - I lost loads of hair from when DD was about 3 months to 6 months - had to brush my hair over the bathroom sink there was so much of the stuff coming out. As Soupy says, it's usually just the hair you didn't lose when pg. It does stop, but if it doesn't see the Dr.

saadia Fri 01-Apr-05 16:32:37

Same here, I lost a shocking amount of hair after the birth of both sons - it was carpeting the floors - but it grew back, I'm sure yours will too.

mamadadawahwah Fri 01-Apr-05 21:20:18

I lost a crap load of hair after ds was born. I thought I had alopecia. Its perfectly normal. I now have my own hair growth back and now worries. Just comes with the territory. It dosent take long to grow back and If i were you (which I am not though) i wouldnt fiddle with it, just in case you mess up your already tuned in hormones.

mambamum Sat 02-Apr-05 11:53:59

Thanks everyone, I hope you're right and that it will stop and grow back. Think I'll try and delay the colouring for a while and get a trim to try and tidy up what little there is there. It's hard not to obsess about it though! If all else fails I'll get a comb over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now