Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sudafed nasal spray addiction

(10 Posts)
Bromleyboy Sun 12-Jan-14 18:52:57

Anyone else caught out by this stuff? On day 5 of having none and totally bunged up and feeling dreadful, any advice on how to kick it?

InPursuitOfOblivion Sun 12-Jan-14 20:52:02

It's cold turkey I'm afraid. Rebound congestion is a bugger!

Pompeygirl80 Mon 13-Jan-14 16:11:15

Try breathe right strips - they are amazing and harmless to use every day

Pandsbear Mon 13-Jan-14 18:06:07

Or try some Olbas oil on a tissue under your nose and trying to breathe some of the smell up through your congestion. Might help shrink down the nasal lining (which is causing the bunged up feeling you have). Also cold air outside can help temporarily.

Elibean Mon 13-Jan-14 18:42:48

I've done the same with Sinex.

You're already 5 days off, so I would plough on tbh...but:

I found switching to a milder decongestant first helped (Otrivine Junior). Then using only at night. Then using only on one side at night, and taking Nytol non-herbal so I could sleep in spite of stuffed up one side. Then other side, ditto. Then treat to say well done for getting off it.

Trouble is, a cold and bang - I have to start all over again blush

4PlusMum Mon 13-Jan-14 21:42:05

Was addicted to Vicks for years. Finally went to the doctor who told me I had to go cold turkey but prescribed a steroid spray (Nasonex) which helps to reduce the swelling. It helped quite quickly. I still have the odd puff of Vick on a Saturday night as it gives me a great sleep.

amatuermummy Tue 14-Jan-14 21:27:54

I am going through exactly this right now. If I don't use the spray, I get completely bunged up. I've managed to cut down a lot but not completely yet. Has anyone tried just stopping one nostril at a time? Would that work?

Pandsbear Wed 15-Jan-14 13:55:38

Yes one nostril can work. I have to do that if I use any of these sprays even for a couple of nights...and now I only ever use them at night (and only in desperation if I have a cold and can't breathe to get some sleeeep).

I alternate nostrils and then hope the last night I can get through with olbas oil on a tissue or something!

fedupandtired Wed 15-Jan-14 18:34:09

I needed to come off cold turkey but needed something as the medication I was taking caused a blocked nose so my GP prescribed Beconase which helped a lot. I'd reached the point where within 30 secs or so of using Vicks Soother my nose was bleeding. I can't use it ever again.

JiminyCricket Wed 15-Jan-14 18:47:43

bit weird but I recently discovered nasal irrigation (look up neti pots or nosebuddy on amazon) I have found it really helps with my allergies and general congestion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now