Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long to wait for a hospital appointment if...

(5 Posts)
butterandcrumpets Thu 17-Oct-13 17:11:24

...a biopsy has shown "some unusual cells"?. It's been just over a week since I got the letter with the result. I think I read about a 2 weeks wait somewhere but does this mean I am being seen within 2 weeks or hear from the hospital? I am of course worried and was wondering how long I should wait before enquiring. Does anyone have experience with this?

butterandcrumpets Thu 17-Oct-13 18:41:47

Anybody? sad

Milliways Thu 17-Oct-13 19:58:28

Try not to worry - "Unusual" could mean anything.

A 2 week wait is that you should have an appointment within 2 weeks from when your GP/clinician sent the referral letter.

Was the biopsy taken at GP surgery or hospital? Did your result letter not include an appointment? If your GP ordered the biopsy I would phone and ask them what is happening.

Good luck

butterandcrumpets Thu 17-Oct-13 23:26:34

The biopsy was taken at the hospital but the letter with the results was sent by my GP, stating that he has forwarded the results to the consultant and that I should hear from the hospital.

You could ring the consultant's secretary, tell her your GP has referred you under the two week wait rules and she may give you the appointment date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now