Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

worms and pregnancy :(

(9 Posts)
Elibean Sat 29-Jun-13 10:54:25

I had all over itching in last months of pregnancy, in the end, and no cause was ever found! It's a strange time for skin, I reckon - especially sensitive skin.

Yes, I've had post-pile itching in the past. But in any case, just try some ointments and see if they help - really does sound more skin than worm.

MrsJamesMartin Sat 29-Jun-13 10:48:42

Thanks everyone. Well to be honest I'm not convinced it's worms either, I've had piles which seem to have settled but could they give this constant itch?. I'm so desperate I've even checked my poo ( sorry that's awful) no signs of worms in it.

gamerchick Sat 29-Jun-13 10:38:19

I took a treatment when I was pregnant.. Can't remember what it was though.

in the meantime when you get an itch, use a moist or a babywipe to remove the irritant and eggs when it crops up and pop it in a nappysack/bag. Its immediate relief.

claraschu Sat 29-Jun-13 10:31:58

If it's definitely worms, they thrive on sugar, so if you get rid of sugar and simple carbohydrates it can help, I think-

Elibean Sat 29-Jun-13 10:29:15

And agree - if it's all day too, more likely to be piles. Or just dry skin. Try some Anusol H ointment first?

Elibean Sat 29-Jun-13 10:28:27

I took Pripsen (piperazine sort, not the mebendazole sort) whilst pregnant, on say so of OB consultant.

I don't know if I had worms, even, but suspected dd1 did and was so paranoid that she prescribed it on mental health grounds wink

KnittedWaffle Sat 29-Jun-13 09:38:56

Are you sure it's worms?
We had them recently and the itching was mostly at night. While I was pregnant I had piles and they were super itchy all the time. Also had a fissure after having DS2 and that was super itchy and painful as well.

I think all worm treatments are contraindicated in pregnancy so you'd just have to ride it out (sorry!) - my GP was reluctant to even give me any medication while I was breastfeeding.
Have you checked it's definitely worms (with a torch and a mirror, at night - oh yes, it's that glamorous) if you can't see any I'd go back to the GP.

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 29-Jun-13 09:37:20

Are you sure it's not piles? Worms come out to play in the evenings

MrsJamesMartin Sat 29-Jun-13 09:32:19

Just that really. Am really suffering with terribly itchy anus all day and night, to things likely worms but reluctant to give me treatment. I'm 20 weeks now is there a treatment I can take. Am using the hygiene method too to stop the cycle but that can take up to 6 weeks and its awful, I'm hardly sleeping with the itching.

Grateful for any help, I'm passed being embarrassed about this is getting me down now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now