Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

......do I take codeine??

(33 Posts)
Icantstopeatinglol Thu 27-Jun-13 22:05:18

I've got arthritis and my feet are agony! I take a strong anti inflammatory once a day and I've took paracetamol but they're still agony. My big toes feel like they're going to explode!
I actually feel dizzy because its hurting so much sad

SugarMouse1 Sat 29-Jun-13 01:33:58

How about Naproxen instead?

Its like Nurofen, but stronger, and no dizzying side-effects like codeine

You can buy it OTC as Feminax Ultra, for period pain x

timidviper Sat 29-Jun-13 01:40:29

Etodolac is much stronger than Naproxen.

Agree with the comment upthread that there are no medals for suffering. Please give the Codeine a try. You are unlikely to become dependent in a short time, especially as you have an awareness of potential probelms

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 29-Jun-13 07:33:04

Thanks everyone, I did take 1 codeine on Thursday night and to be honest it knocked me out ha! Which is a good thing I suppose! Problem is I wouldn't dare take them through the day as I have 2 small dc to look after. Although wine did the same thing last night! grin
I've noticed when I do manage to take the edge off the pain I'm asleep within minutes, I'm shattered with it all too.
On a positive note, I got all my papers through for my rheumatology appt and the hospital sounds fantastic! I've been given 2 appointments a wk apart, one to go over everything and have X-rays, ultrasounds etc and the next is to see the consultant for results etc. I just want to get started on new meds asap!
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments x

Wow! That sounds brilliant. Exactly what you need to get you back on the road to recovery.

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 29-Jun-13 07:44:58

I know badkitten, I'm so glad I chose this hospital as it sounds great! Hopefully they'll have me doing half marathons again in no time! smile

Perihelion Sat 29-Jun-13 12:47:37

Agree with the not taking it during the day if possible, however if I'm very sore and am not driving I will occasionally. Sprouted flax seed powder is good for preventing constipation.

LongTimeLurking Sat 29-Jun-13 18:28:26

If it has been prescribed for you and you are in pain then take it.

It is safe, effective and NOT additive if used as prescribed and not abused. You will need to eat lots of fibre and I wouldn't mix with alcohol as you may end up extremely drunk!

I have chronic pain and I would much rather take paracetamol + codeine than the anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Diclofenac, etc.... they cause stomach / bowel side effects and are even linked to heart problems with long term usage. Plus they only work if you actually have inflammation going on.

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 29-Jun-13 18:54:07

Thanks longtime, yea I was prescribed codeine for whiplash just a few wks back but I would only take it in extreme circumstances as I don't like taking tablets at the best of times. I take etodolac as I have psoriatic arthritis which causes inflammation....I take it on a night after food and by teatime the next day I'm really sore and by nighttime it's really painful so wouldn't dare not take these. The paracetamol and codeine are mainly to take the edge off on a night until I see my consultant.
God I feel like an old lady!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now