Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

A question about iron absorption

(26 Posts)
nomorekisses Wed 26-Jun-13 06:22:00

I've got very low ferritin - have had since Xmas. I have been taking Ferrous Fumerate 2 or 3 x a day (210mg pills). I try to remember to take with a Vit C juice, like grapefruit, but doesn't always happen.

I'm taking it because I have lots of hair shedding.

I am seeing some difference in hair shedding loss (i.e. slowing down a little) but not a huge amount.

Today it was suggested to me that I take Florisene which is a Lamberts product containing 24mg Ferrous Fumerate, Lysine, Vit C all which helps with absorption. I would take it 3 x a day. It says not in conjunction with any other iron on the packet.

The person I spoke to said that iron amount should be enough.

Is that right? Or should I top up with a Ferrous Fumerate? Or is switching silly?

I'm just wondering whether having the right grounds for absorption is just as important as the levels themselves.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

HumphreyCobbler Mon 01-Jul-13 21:59:09

Goodness, I have been taking my iron supplement with a glass of milk each night. What a numpty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now