Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

CT scan, what does it involve?

(8 Posts)
olivo Fri 10-May-13 20:47:55

Thank you everyone. Good to know what to expect. Shame I have a stinking cold , may not be a pretty picture there!

magso Fri 10-May-13 20:44:29

Sinus CT is quite quick- a few minutes only. I did not have to change cloths or have contrast. I think my head was padded to make it easier to keep still. I seem to remember some sort of (quiet) humming from the machine as if it was thinking. Its much like a very quick very quiet MRI.

LIZS Fri 10-May-13 17:46:10

I had one and it was basically like an x-ray . You lie flat within the scanner and it moves to and fro.

olivo Fri 10-May-13 17:44:51

Cannula? I won't need that for sinuses, will I?

Happy for it to be better than an MRI, I wasn't keen on those!

Thanks

CMOTDibbler Thu 09-May-13 20:39:25

You lie down on a couch, they do a small amount of adjusting you, and then you'll move quite quickly through the machine. You won't need contrast or to change - compared to an MRI its a doddle

youmaycallmeSSP Thu 09-May-13 20:34:22

Oh, and I've always had to change into a non-revealing hospital gown in a private changing area first.

youmaycallmeSSP Thu 09-May-13 20:33:35

When I've had them done it's been very straightforward. Go in, loe down, have a cannula put in my arm and an isotope dye injected in, arm stays hooked up to the drip, go forwards and backwards through the doughnut a few times listening to the instructions to hold my breath/breathe, have cannula out and go home. I've always had to drink a fair amount of water first but I don't know if you'd need to do that for sinuses.

olivo Thu 09-May-13 20:19:23

Just had an appointment through for a Ct scan to loo at my sinuses. What will it involve? I have had MRI before but never CT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now