Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Colonic Irrigation. Should I have it done?

(54 Posts)
Lizzylou Wed 20-Mar-13 12:50:08

Colleague wants me to go with her to have colonic irrigation.
Not in same room, obviously, that would be weird.

She had it done a few years ago and has raved about how good she felt. Said it was just a strange sensation.

I cannot get my head around the fact that someone would be shoving a tube up my arse and pumping warm water around my guts though.

Is it worth the weirdness?

We would be going to a reputable and regulated place btw.

Reenypip Sat 23-Mar-13 10:00:39

I use a persisteen (like a mini colonic that can do myself) every other day to help me go, alongside multiple laxatives. Otherwise I can't go.

unlucky83 Sat 23-Mar-13 10:36:41

Long time ago I had a few weeks stay in hospital, complete bed rest, on codeine, embarrassment of having to use a bed pan. After almost 2 weeks with no poos -even after they pumped dye up my bottom for a CAT scan -they resorted to suppositories (first ones a nurse put them in for me blush.) Eventually things sorted themselves out - mainly when I could use a real toilet!
After a while I realised that I had never had 'big' satisfying poos (regular but always thin - sorry if that's TMI)...and had IBS symptoms, serious pain, regular bloating had been to GP ...
After 12yrs of this I seriously thought about trying CI ...but read all the horror stories...
Instead I took full dose lactulose for the best part of a week (wasn't pleasant - lets just say you wouldn't want to be in the same room as me blush) made me really thirsty so I drank lots of water ... end result normal 'poos' and IBS gone. Probably should have run it past the GP before I did it....
Now I really believe it is possible to get a build up ...but I still wouldn't do a CI...especially not just to get sparkly eyes!
(Also a flatmate of mine's gran needed a camera up her bottom - it took the hospital several enemas and fasting to get things clear enough for them to be able to see intestine wall)

nurseneedshelp Sat 23-Mar-13 10:43:38

I have it done regular! Well approx every 3/4 months.

I work strange shifts as a nurse and eat at stupid times, quite normal to have curry at 5am! So I swear by it.

It makes me feel so much better!
I can tell when I'm due which sounds weird! You can't knock it till you've tried it

greeneyed Sat 23-Mar-13 12:14:29

I've tried it so can knock itsmile obviously i only had the one though, not the course of 6 the lady recommended to see results!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now