Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Aaaaargh I have chicken pox!!!!

(37 Posts)
BrainSurgeon Fri 15-Mar-13 11:33:21

I'm 40 ......Anyone else out there had it as an adult?
Everyone says it's bad, don't know what to expect...

gingercat12 Wed 20-Mar-13 12:49:01

I am so glad. Hope your move goes well.

BrainSurgeon Tue 19-Mar-13 20:39:12

Hi, yes I'm feeling much better thank you.
I think I got away with it quite easily, compared to the stories here!
Not a huge amount of spots, they are healing now (a few look absolutely disgusting)
The worst bit was having headaches and feeling dizzy - that took 5 days to clear...

gingercat12 Tue 19-Mar-13 12:30:12

brain hope you are starting to feel better. Please, let us know.

BrainSurgeon Sun 17-Mar-13 11:55:29

(By the leaflet that is)

Complications are bloody scary!

BrainSurgeon Sun 17-Mar-13 11:54:43

Thanks dikk... Our GP sent me a leaflet with my prescription, with all the possible complications and symptoms to watch out for. I was pleasantly surprised!

BrainSurgeon Sun 17-Mar-13 11:52:37

Thanks everyone smile
I think I have a reasonably mild form, spots seem to have stopped coming out and I'm not totally covered, thank goodness.
The worst thing is the headachy- dizziness.... And guess what, the main side effects of both anti-virals (as someone said) AND Piriton are headache and dizziness hmm

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Mar-13 23:29:36

Glad you got the antivirals, they are only really effective if taken within 48 hours of onset, to keep virus from multiplying. Once the virus has already really multiplied the antivirals cannot do much any more.

Chickenpox can have nasty complications, especially when you get it when older. So I hope you have somebody with you who keeps an eye out and will seek help in a timely manner if necessary. You may get very high fever, so hopefully you are stocked up on paracetamol and ibuprofen.

I don't want to scare you but you may want to look on the NHS website to familiarize yourself with warning signs of complications. All treatable, as long as you seek help in time.

Hope you don't get it too bad, fingers crossed.

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Mar-13 23:18:00

If you only just got it you may want to get antivirals. It can cause terrible terrible headaches, which can be serious, so if that happens seek medical help straight away.

EssieW Sat 16-Mar-13 21:18:56

I had it aged 34 and pregnant at the time. The first couple of days were the worst - aches/flu type thing and the spots all coming out. I found it a struggle to get downstairs or out of bed.

After that, it was OK. Some itchiness from the spots but that was mostly bearable. Damp flannel was good.

I was back at work 10 days later and feeling ok - bit tired but that could have been 3rd trimester pregnancy!

Agree withe previous posts that calamine was useless (and I think made scarring worse). Aloe Vera is opposed to be good.

Good luck!

DS1 (6) has it at the moment and is having a rough old time of it.

A nurse friend recommended the Vira-Soothe too, and it seemed to make quite a difference - he was only complaining about the spots on his scalp earlier, rather than the 200+ over his body.

I read that the calamine works ok, but looses it's effectiveness once it's dried onto your skin, maybe that's why some say they find the cream better.

Hope you go ok with it.

Pagwatch Sat 16-Mar-13 21:01:18

Poor Brian sad

I had chicken pox in my mid 20s.
The night of the Berkley Square ball, I had a shower and noticed bumps. So being 20 I just got dressed and went to the ball.

I had no anti-virals, I was very itchy but just felt tired and I was fine, just bored, after a week. No scars, no long lasting problems.
Feel better Brian x

nethunsreject Sat 16-Mar-13 20:58:18

I had it when pregnant and aged 35.I saw all the horror stories and was terrified. In the end it was 2 weeks being poorly then a week feeling weak then absolutely fine! Nowhere near as bad as I expected. Get well soon

I'm immune, I'll sit witth yoy and mop your brow brew

I've actually never had it. confused because I was tested for immunity when I was pg and the mw said that means I must have had it at some point.
I checked with my mum, definitely not.

elenotfun Sat 16-Mar-13 20:54:51

My kids have it and we were advised against calamine lotion. We got a gel called vira-soothe. It was expensive but my two say it helps. It's especially for chicken pox. It's very cold apparently!

narmada Sat 16-Mar-13 20:45:12

DH caught it at 37, from little Dd. He felt crap, probably on a par with proper flu. Piriton is your friend, you could always try sominex for nighttimez- it contains promethazine, which is a v sedating antihistamine. Check with pharmacy that it is ok to take with aciclovir or any other antiviral you have been prescribed.

You poor thing.

BrainSurgeon Sat 16-Mar-13 11:28:48

Feeling a tiny bit better today, less dizzy and weak. Will definitely go for some baths.
I have a feeling that soda baths would be more effective than lavender ones.... I wonder what happens if you combine the two

Maryz Fri 15-Mar-13 18:32:59

Oh, no, that's horrible.

dh got it as an adult and was really sick. He looked like one of those sad homeless addicts you see on documentaries, all unshaven with open sores. He didn't scar though.

Have you got bread soda? He used to lie in a bath of bread soda a couple of times a day and said it was great.

BrainSurgeon Fri 15-Mar-13 14:09:46

Thanks gingercat smile

Your poor DH! Glad he has no marks...
Actually someone else did mention Bio Oil, I shall get some

Thank you everyone for the kind words smile

BrainSurgeon Fri 15-Mar-13 14:05:37

Just got a call from the Doc, I'm getting a prescription for anti-viral drugs... hurray.... I think...

gingercat12 Fri 15-Mar-13 14:04:47

Brainsurgeon Good luck. DH had it 2 years ago (aged 38). It is worse for men, so you should be fine brew wine. Just try get some fine porridge (for the bath - yuck), lots of painkillers, calamine lotion and piriton tablets. He also had different shampoo for itchy scalp. It is a lot like flu, just more uncomfortable. Apparently stretch mark oils are good for the marks once they dried out. I do not know about that, his skin just took time, and slowly recovered. DH had it really really bad, but no marks are left even on his face.

Good luck with the move as well. If you are hoping to board a plane in 2 weeks' time you may need to explain it all to the airline. Check their terms and conditions. Our GP refused to see DH, and refused to give him the all-clear, and he had to fly out pretty soon as well. And he looked like somebody with chicken pox, bless. He was allowed to board the plane though both outbound and inbound. They probably thought that he would not be able to walk around if he still had it.

Will be thinking of you.

Cheddars Fri 15-Mar-13 13:38:43

Hopefully you'll be fine by 2 weeks time!

Get your medications sorted for the next week, and some tempting food/drinks so you don't have to worry about going out. When mine had it, they couldn't eat anything solid but they found yoghurts and ice-cream very soothing.

Tbh I'd be getting some alcohol as well, best way to anaesthetise yourself. grin

BrainSurgeon Fri 15-Mar-13 13:35:51

devil that sounds a bit better... Just hoping you're not the only exception to the rule...

BrainSurgeon Fri 15-Mar-13 13:33:19

I can't afford to have complications, I'm moving to another country in 2 weeks time!!!

devilinside Fri 15-Mar-13 12:53:43

I had it at 40, no anti-virals. It wasn't that bad, felt a bit fluey and the spots drove me mad, but it wasn't the dramatic illness that google everyone told me it would be

I still cooked Xmas dinner for 13 (just dosed myself up with painkillers)

cardamomginger Fri 15-Mar-13 12:29:00

I had chicken pox as an adult and felt absolutely dreadful. You need anti-virals now. A home visit might not be a bad idea either, but a telephone consultation is a good start.
I got some Solarcaine spray to take the edge off the itching. It contains 0.5% lidocaine, a local anaesthetic. It was the only thing that helped.
You have my sympathies! Feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now