Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Preventative Approaches to Headaches?

(27 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Sun 03-Mar-13 22:58:23

I, like my parents, have since my teens suffered with headaches and migraines.

I take anything from paracetamol, ibuprofen, lemsip and aspirin to the stronger stuff for migraines like Sumatriptan, Syndol and Imigran. All of these drugs work, most of the time.

However, I'd be very interested in hearing about any headache sufferers' success stories of using herbal remedies, massage, anything! As opposed to drugs.

I realise that my headaches are probably genetic. In fact, my mother's headaches disappeared when she reached the menopause, and my father's have declined since he's been in his 60s.

DH thinks I should get an allergy test?

dotty2 Thu 07-Mar-13 09:37:36

Oh yes - definitely no paracetemol or codeine. I find Ibuprofen Lysine more effective than straight Ibuprofen - it's what's in Nurofen Express but is much cheaper from Asda, where it's the active ingredient in their Migraine Relief tablets.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 07-Mar-13 09:45:45

Tanins are one of my biggest triggers. So red wine and certain teas (china tea really bad). Since I stopped drinking red and made sure I only drinking Assam tea mine have been much better. Before I cut out tanins I was getting clusters I never get clusters now. Though stress is also my big trigger as it is for my DD (9).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now