Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Metronidazole and amoxycillin side effects

(28 Posts)
QueenOfCats Sun 20-Jan-13 13:06:13

I have been prescribed 400mg of metronidazole and 250mg of amoxycillin both to be taken together, 3x per day for 5 days.

This is for pericoronitis (infection of gum and soft tissue around wisdom tooth)

Started taking them Friday evening and since Saturday afternoon I have been feeli g queasy on and off, mild stomach cramps (no diarrihea) going to the loo more often and awful bloody wind confused

Are these symptoms likely to be due to the antibiotics? Has anyone else experienced similar?

I have also been drinking an Actimel a day since Friday which I don't normally do, but I read somewhere that actimel is good whilst taking antibiotics.

Any advice? Thanks thanks

digerd Mon 21-Jan-13 15:07:05

I didn't do anything but wait, despairing of my weight loss and wrinkled skin, and 5 days after the 5 day course it went away. The new flesh I gained was old and like watery jelly - the older flesh I lost was younger and firmer. So, I was furious and depressed at having been aged by those vile Metrons. I did look 10 years younger and I aged 20 imo < grumpy old woman face>. The worst place was my upper arms and thighs, which I have since kept hidden by clothing, never to be on display again.

QueenOfCats Mon 21-Jan-13 16:14:19

It looks like nobody's had a very good time on the metronidazole then hmm

I have a upset stomach today, still feeling sick but I know you are meant to finish the course.

On the plus side the wisdom tooth area (bottom right) is much improved so that's something. The pain was awful.

I took 2 doses Friday so tomorrow morning will be my last dose I think - hope it won't take too long before my stomach settles.

Don't think I'll ever take them again though!

digerd Mon 21-Jan-13 18:23:34

Only if it is a matter of life and death for me, and then I'll insist on having them intravenously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now