Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

adult asthma/chest infection season

(35 Posts)
ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Mon 01-Oct-12 23:32:04

October now and right on que I have a tight chest, sore when I breath in, coughing up crap, wheezey and breathless on exersion.

Come and join in my moans. <splutter>

Just remember to cover your mouth! grin

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Tue 02-Oct-12 00:39:50

and peak flow is 210

Sitting propped up in bed. Why is it always worse at this time on the morning?!

SleepyLittleSunshineGirl Tue 02-Oct-12 09:43:20

Me too, Giraffes have felt rubbish for past 2 weeks. On antibios and steroids (again!) and still feeling dreadful. I half joke that I should move somewhere warm and dry for my asthma, but every winter it becomes a more attractive possibility.

Hope you feel better soon

tedhutchinson Tue 02-Oct-12 14:26:51

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Tue 02-Oct-12 23:09:08

I went to drs today and got steroids, repeat asthma meds and ventolin nebules for the nebulizer.

As the evening has gone on i feel worse again, in day time I wasn't as bad.

sleepy what meds are you on?

SleepyLittleSunshineGirl Tue 02-Oct-12 23:17:47

ted strangely enough I've just been dx with vit d deficiency and have started supplements.

giraffes symbicort, ventolin and montelukast. It has helped me shake off stuff that would floor me but I'm not picking up as fast this time. Someone else said has recommended fresh figs are a natural remedy. At this sage I'm giving anything a go.

How's your PF tonight, Giraffes? I'm toddling off to get some steam as tha really helps me. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Wed 03-Oct-12 07:09:23

you might need some steroid tabs to help.

Not actually done my pf recently - oops. But am coughing up more and more crap and getting more breathless doing short tasks

tedhutchinson Wed 03-Oct-12 07:37:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

SleepyLittleSunshineGirl Wed 03-Oct-12 10:36:44

Thanks, ted I will be having a read of that.

Giraffes am on antibios and day 4 of steroids but still feeling crappy sad. Hope you are feeling better this morning - check that PF isn't too low!

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Fri 05-Oct-12 06:12:23

How are you today?

Just woken up and coughed and gasped and wheezed for an hour, always bad first thing! Should go get pillows to prop me up and do peak flow but no energy, will do it in a bit.

Marking my place to read later. Do you guys have the flu jab? I was still getting chest infections in april of this year sad

ParrotTulip Fri 05-Oct-12 06:47:18

I always have the flu jab.

SleepyLittleSunshineGirl Fri 05-Oct-12 09:00:20

Hi Giraffes still coughing! How about you? I'm now taking my Boots 'vitality' powders (vitality! I'd settle for 'can walk upstairs in one go' ATM!) and trying to rest. Hope you are feeling better today.

cheese yep - flu jab every year, but clinic hasnt started yet at mu surgery, so the chest infec got in first. I had the pneumo jab last winter after pneumonia the year before. I'm not taking any chances!

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Fri 05-Oct-12 22:37:51

Yup I get flu jab now, only since I developed asthma though. Not had it this year yet as been too ill.

I feel shitty! Wheezey and breathless and sore chest. I am getting my voice back though!

Haemadoots Sat 06-Oct-12 11:09:43

Argh I just typed a huge post and lost it sad Giraffes, sleepy hope you feeling a bit better today.

I am getting that tight chested raw throat feeling sad have been so well all summer.

On the subject of flu jabs, I had one about 7 years ago, great no pr0blems, then had the swine flu jab in 2009, it absolutely floored me, but I dont know if it was the jab or just conincedence! Have been wary ever since but would love to get the flu jab this year as was awful last winter, any one else have a reaction to the swine flu jab and be ok with the normal flu jab?

I had asthma review last week and the nurse said if I was struggling she would put me on fostair, is this a new inhaler, I have never heard of it.

alibobins Sat 06-Oct-12 20:25:21

Do any of you use the powdered inhalers? Ds1 is severe asthmatic and takes seritide ventolin montelukast nose sprays and ceterizine. We have a home nebuliser and Emergancy steroids at home. The consultant mentioned last week that he may consider changing ds's inhalers to powdered ones but didn't really explain why x

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Sat 06-Oct-12 23:18:38

I hate the powdered ones!

Haemadoots Sun 07-Oct-12 07:18:33

Hmm I remember the powdered ones as a child, not keen on them either.

giraffesCantGoGuisingAsZebras Sun 07-Oct-12 12:30:16

When I was in hospital an asthma nurse made me try and I promptly started spitting as I had a loud of manky powder in my mouth. She looked at me like this hmm and said "be honest if you had that at home would you take it?" I said NO! So she just put me on the normal inhaler kind! They idea of breathing in powder makes me feel a bit strange!

wishiwasonholiday Sun 07-Oct-12 12:50:49

Fostair is a cheaper version of seretide or so my gp said when they changed my prescription once, i didn't like the taste of it so they put me back on seretide.

alibobins Sun 07-Oct-12 13:06:29

Maybe I will stick to his normal inhalers as he takes them no problems so don't want to cause upset x x Thanks x x

I'm in...sad

Been so well for months. Had just reached the time of year when I start thinking 'Maybe I'm not even - and never was - asthmatic after all...?!' ('Fraudplex' hits hard...hmm ) and then WHAM! Chest, throat, eyes, sinuses and skin have all blown. Am a bit of a mess, truth be told sad MPD

I have a powder inhaler - Bricanyl terbutaline sulphate? which I have instead of the usual blue inhaler. My GP swapped me onto it because the other one gave me heart palpitations and the shakes which I hated, so I wouldn't use it blush TBH I don't really notice the powder when I breath it in and it makes me cough less than the aerosol ones. Even using a spacer I can't seem to keep much in/down (you know what I mean!)

Apart from that, I'm in misspollysdolly's camp. Had a pretty good summer, been off the steroid inhalers and only used the Bricanyl maybe once or twice a week (plants are evil little buggers) but now the weather's turned I'm back to night coughs and no sleep and coughing until I throw up/pee myself during the day. Awesome. It's partly my own fault though as I'm horrendous at getting back into the routine of taking inhalers morning and night so cause most of the problems myself.

giraffesCantGoGuisingAsZebras Mon 08-Oct-12 07:22:03

Oh dear MPD my dear, you look after yourself! I know I fall in to that "I don't have it, oh no" trap too!

MrsD hope it helps when you start taking them regularly again

KatyMac Mon 08-Oct-12 07:30:06

DH had 13 chest infections in 11 months & was eventually referred to Papworth

Three years later after many, many different cocktails of drugs & in Dec 10 they tried something new. I'm not going to tempt fate by saying it but guess what we haven't had since then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now