Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc part 4

(949 Posts)

This is thread 3 of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

Here are the previous threads:
Thread 1
Thread 2

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

Are you OK by yourself Fen?

fengirl1 Mon 07-May-12 19:59:49

Have my mum here altho I think I'm looking after her rather than the other way round!

Littlefish Mon 07-May-12 20:01:26

Fen, What procedure (s) did you have done then?

Make sure you don't do too much though Fen <stern look>. I hope the hospital wasn't too bad as I know you were very worried.

fengirl1 Mon 07-May-12 21:03:16

Had a hysterectomy and cystocele repair, apparently quite difficult to do as they were so close together. Trying not to do too much and can't anyway as still rather groggy!
Think I was somewhat justified in worrying as the hospital would have sent me home the next day if they could.... Will tell you about the bladder side of things in another post.
Just wanted to comment on pack removal though - brutal in a word. No pain relief beforehand or tell me to stop etc. The nurse pulled it out as fast as she could hand over hand... About five minutes later I suddenly felt very faint despite laying down and was sweating profusely. I ended up with my legs raised, fan on me and back on the drip as my blood pressure was so low. Not an experience I would ever like to repeat. I think I had actually gone into shock. sad Horrible.

happy2beme Mon 07-May-12 21:28:32

EEEWWW!! forgot about the packing lol not nice, but glad to hear you are out of hospital now, rest and take things as easy as you can......sending some love your way. xxxx Hope poo situation sorts itself out, have you got any glycerine suppositories ?? if you have any matter in your lower bowel this will encourage it to come soz TMI, anyway if you explain to chemist( or whoever goes for you) blush they will give you some.
Had my " good rummage on friday" lol got cystoscopy, stretching of Tvto, mesh errosion repair and abblation. All done in day surgery (cause I asked for it) and tried to be brave and not take morphine cause I didnt want to be too drowsy on discharge, well was that bloody stupid. Was the worst pain ever and nobody to blame but myself. Anyway feeling a bit better now just tired defo think 2 anaesthetics in a short space of time takes its toll. No more peeing broken glass (curtesy of cystoscopy). I just really want to feel normal again and resume normal relations although will have to wait till this lot of stitches heal again sad cant even have a glass of vino to cheer me up as I am taking a course of antibiotics which is apparently routine after abblation. Oh well only another 4 days to go xxx
Hope all are well love to everyone xx

Footle Tue 08-May-12 09:35:18

Fengirl, don't think about this at the mo, you've got enough on just recovering. But to take the packing out like that was appalling. Once you've got some energy back, it would be good to write to the surgeon describing what happened - just what you said here would do. I had pain relief long enough before the procedure that it actually helped, and the nurse told me to stop her if it was too much ( though of course I knew that would just make it take longer). She altered the direction of pulling to avoid the most painful area. It sounds as if you had a clueless and probably nervous nurse, and you shouldn't have had to put up with that.
Happy2, you know better than to turn down painkillers ! Glad you're recovering now.

HuggyPomBear Tue 08-May-12 10:42:22

Oh Fen, that sounds rubbish. When my packing was removed (and my goodness there was a lot) I was given paracetamol 30 mins before and when it was being removed the nurse was getting me to breathe through it. Mind you, when they took the catheter out, that was something else! It had been the most painful thing, everytime it got knocked I was in pain. She assured me it wouldn't hurt at all to remove. It did and gave me instant sweats. Horrid. 3 weeks in and the entrance to my urethra is still swollen. It was the same when I had a catheter in when I had DD.

Take it easy. I hope you start to feel better soon.

fengirl1 Tue 08-May-12 19:47:08

Strange enough Huggy, the catheter didn't hurt coming out (I was so swollen I think). It did hurt when it was put back in though (couldn't empty my bladder) you would have though it had a thread on it the way the nurse screwed it in! Had to keep it in another 24hrs and then was given a tap instead of a bag on the end so I had to stand up and wee like man!blush
Have been thinking about the pack - what the nurse held up for me to admire was about two foot square and there was more on the bed.
All of this is superceded by what happened today..... Finally had a bm which frankly would be tmi even for here. Suffice to say I was in so much pain during and after I called the gp.... I'm hoping I haven't done any permanent damage as things are now starting to settle down thank goodness.
Hopefully that is the end of my dramas now! smile

fengirl1 Tue 08-May-12 19:48:11

Happy - hope it is all plain sailing from now on. smile

Footle Tue 08-May-12 20:23:32

The packing I had, and that everyone else has described, was a long long narrow strip. Maybe the surgeon was at fault for using the wrong stuff. Hope things settle down for you now.

HuggyPomBear Tue 08-May-12 20:38:10

Wow, I'm not surprised it hurt if it was 2ft square shock. Mine was like footle said, a very long bandage type thing.

same here. long bandage thing. about 2cm wide and very long.

happy2beme Wed 09-May-12 12:54:47

Mine too long thinnish packing uncomfortable and wierd shock xx, and the pooing I can imagine, I went on day5 for first time and thought my insides were coming out was no different from all poo's which had gone before lol thought all was for nothing iyswim!!. Anyway things settled and eventually the pain settled (was sore and swollen for few days). Did wonder if I had popped some internal stitches, could not see how I hadn't. But no worries all was well and still pooing straight and painfree and most important unassisted lol xx So take heart let the GP reassure you but try not to worry, I think all that rummaging disturbs the peristalsis of the bowel and it takes a few days to resume hence the sluggish pooing. That and the combination of the pain relief means we will all be aperient dependent from now on. xx Take care xx

HuggyPomBear Wed 09-May-12 15:45:23

What's aperient? My iPad keeps changing that word to aperitif....

Hope everyone is feeling ok. 3 weeks post op for me yesterday. I am still bleeding, but that may be down to my period arriving at the weekend. I was hoping that it would all settle by now, but even the period side of things seems to be taking ages also sad. There's no sign of my stitches dissolving either. Anyone further ahead than me able to compare post op bleeding and stitch dissolving? My stitches are black. When I had DD my stitches were beige I think and started to dissolve at the 2 week point.

Littlefish Wed 09-May-12 16:13:20

Hi all

Sorry Huggy, I can't advise on stitches.

I saw my consultant this morning and am delighted to say that my biopsy has come back as normal grin grin.

He had another rummage around and my uterus has popped back into position now the cyst has gone. However, now that the uterus is back in position, he could clearly feel the rectocele sad. So, I do need to have a posterior repair, but he is happy to leave it up to me to decide when I want to have it done. He has booked to see me again in 6 months time.

The most fascinating thing was seeing the pictures of my cyst, uterus and bowel, showing clearly how the cyst was impacting on both. He's promised to send me copies of the photos for my photo album wink.

So, my plan is this;

Wait 6 months to see how things go with the Laxido, good diet and exercise to see how well I cope with the rectocele on its own and see how much it impacts on my life.

If I'm doing ok, I'll probably leave it until this time next year before having the rectocele repair. it also gives me time to lose a bit more weight, which can only be a positive thing when facing a second general anaesthetic.

tazzle Wed 09-May-12 16:13:44

aperient is the posh word for all the stuff that makes us poo Pombear wink

I did not have much post op bleeding .. was pinky and more watery within a few days. From about three weeks it then became a heavier creamier sometimes brownish discharge ... now almost 6 weeks and its alsmot back to normal stuff.

. Maybe difference is I think I might be now menopausual . I had not had "normal" periods for quite a while having had lighter but very frequent bleeds that stopped once the polyp removed when I had the hysteroscopy last year. i have not had a period since... thats about 6 months now I think !!!

Stitches started coming out about 3 weeks for me ... they were multicoloured wink ..... part black part beige. I think they were beige where had been under the skin and its blood that stained the other bits black. ( old blood is black).

happy2beme Wed 09-May-12 20:37:23

Hi Huggy about 6wks for me on the bleeding front, I had issues with merina and this was taken out but then went on to have period. Consultant says takes about 6mths for periods to settle. Stitches started coming out about 3wks and all dissolved by 6 wks, well the top layer anyway. I had both anterior and posterior repair, funnily enough it was the anterior that hung around longer and yep came out biege coloured but all go in black , Sometimes I had a little heavier bleeding and more discomfort just before losing a stitch, probs small haematomas at stitch site xx
Again hope all are well, I am so in need of a small aperitif wine lol grin but will just have to stick with my aperient (laxitive) until my antibiotics are finished. Happy quick recovery to all and littlefish so glad about the biopsy and I think a wise choice about op defo takes it out of you being a little overwieght grin and 2 ops within a short space of time xxx

great news about the biopsy LF smile

Sorry i'm not posting much. my hands are to sore athe moment. at 6.5 wks i still have some stitches. they are thick like string and white. no bleeding for at least 2 weeks. the relif to have no pads anymore smile

sorryfor tupos. 1 handed typing

fengirl1 Thu 10-May-12 09:50:47

Sorry to put this in here but I have no-one to ask in RL. (And sorry I've not been much support to you other ladies.)
No bm since the nightmare on tues - taking lactulose (extra doses) fybogel prune juice food with fibre and loads of water.
Cystocele still seems to be there and non-existent rectocele appears to be live and kicking.
I'm scared about the bm issue and TERRIFIED this op hasn't worked / resolved everything. What on earth am I supposed to do? sad

wouldratherbeskiing Thu 10-May-12 11:12:37

Fen - how distressing for you. Have you tried glycerine suppositories? Also, a bit of vaseline can be useful - not to soften but to help ease the way and keep things supple!!! I was worried the op hadn't worked for me as still had rectocele symptoms but these have improved with the healing of the stitches so try not to worry (easier said than done I know) - it is early days for you and there's a way to go with the healing. I was given a sheet with diagrams of how to sit on the toilet, i.e. with your feet up on a step and leaning slightly forward. Could you ring and have a chat with the nurse at your doctor's surgery? They may suggest some sort of small enema if it gets really compacted. Sorry I can't think of anything else - I feel for you as it is very scary. I didn't go when I was in hospital so was really worried and uncomfortable. In the end I waited for just a tiny urge and sat and relaxed for a while. It worked for me. Good luck x

Littlefish Thu 10-May-12 13:29:03

Fen - please go and see your GP, or phone your consultant. You sound very uncomfortable and quite panicky. Hopefully, one or other of them should be able to give you advice, or re-assure you that everything is ok.

Please ask for a prescription of Laxido. It really is very good and effective, without being too harsh.

fengirl1 Thu 10-May-12 14:12:14

Little and Would - thank you. Have had some relief in the bm department but still horribly uncomfortable. Have booked an appt with gp tomorrow. I did try to contact nurse practitioner at the hospital but she is on holiday. Hopefully the dr I see tomorrow will be helpful - she has been v nice in the past. I'm feeling a bit calmer now but still worried as I'm not sure I could go through this again but on the other hand really want to feel normal again iyswim.

happy2beme Thu 10-May-12 14:56:08

Fen, Firstly at the moment you are the one who needs the support so no worries there , you do not need to apologise for not being there for others this is a swing and round abouts kinda forum xxx Try not to panic, I know this is easier said than done we have all been there with the worries about pooing and even having support in the real world!! doesn't help because how can you explain to some people the anxiety living with assisted pooing ect. It becomes like a military exercise. As the others say speak to Gp or cons even for reassurance. But dont forget there will still be a lot of swelling down there. I will try and put it in perspective it was 12 weeks before I could feel the rim of my cervix up until then it seemed to have disappeared or flattened out but in actual fact the surrounding tissue all was just swollen and it took that long to be able to feel it as normal ( in case you were wondering why the hell I would be feeling my cervix lol I had to do that initailly to check threads of coil were still there x)
Try ease up on the fybogel for a little while it is a bulking agent and may actually make constipation worse. Bowels work by peristalsis( I am not being funny and I am sure you may be aware of this) but reduced mobility affects this, also there will be oedema(swelling) in your pelvic region, again from the surgery. This will also affect the peristalsis of the bowel add in the painkillers and you got a lethal combination sad. When we look after people in hospital we see this all the time bowels become sluggish.
Get a perscription for movicol ( It is not you who cant take this is it??. If it is what does it do to you?) In cases of constipation you can take up to 8 movicol in one day. I had probs with first bowel motion and for a few weeks after, called on the help of my friend who is a district nurse locally and she came armed with 4 sachets, bottle of orange juice (with bits) and mixed it all in a litre jug and literally forced fed me the lot this was at 4 oclock by 10pm that night I went. Got perscription for movicol next day and it took me over a week to get the combination right, took 2 at night and 2 in morning until bowel motions were soft then cut back 1 satchet at night until I took only the morning ones, tried cutting them back but I am just gonna live with 2 in morning forever. Make sure you mix it with orange juice with bits for some reason my friend says this makes it work better xx If you are attatched to a health centre phone and speak to district nurses for advice they deal with this more than GP's , he will write the perscription but they have more experience about dealing with problem cases. Lactulose is also a laxitive but it causes more problems with wind and is slightly more harsher on the bowel but some people find it works well for them. I also used microlette enema at one point this did help a particularly bulky stool to come out. No apologies for the TMI in times of need and all that lol xx sorry for the long post smile can you tell I am being a lazy Moo and lying on the sofa xxx

tazzle22 Thu 10-May-12 23:29:47

tazzle here... just added a 22 as had to re register after muddle with email addys *sigh

what a wonderful informative post happy ....... I hope that some or all if it works for you fengirl1. It is such a basic function yet has such an effect when its not right .... and to think peole joke about it ggrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now